ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Feb 19, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #5,431 of 6,754
I have a pretty big head (7 7/8 hat size) and have a blackwood Aeolus. With leather understrap, I have 2 notches remaining atop each adjustment rod, meaning it's extended >75%.

Then again, I don't know what an XXL hat size is...

I don't wear hats so I had the terminology wrong. After looking it up my hat size is 7 3/4. It sounds like the Aeolus should fit comfortably then!

1645276048957.png

Feb 19, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #5,432 of 6,754
I'll definitely 2nd the Aeolus. Lots of YMMV & IMHO here, but for me my tinnitus is generally exacerbated more from closed back headphones in general as opposed to an open backed. That being said the VC is one of the least tinnitus-aggravating headphones I've ever heard. FWIW I find the Aeolus less bothersome than the VO as well.

I believe @Pharmaboy has had a similar experience.
Thank you for the info, this is really helpful !

Feb 19, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #5,433 of 6,754
I have a pretty big head (7 7/8 hat size) and have a blackwood Aeolus. With leather understrap, I have 2 notches remaining atop each adjustment rod, meaning it's extended >75%.

Then again, I don't know what an XXL hat size is...
Doff the hat before donning the h/p…?…🤣

Feb 19, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #5,435 of 6,754
Guys how does the Aeolus compare to the Hifiman HE-500, Audeze LCD-X and ZMF Ori? Also I don't have a dedicated headphone setup anymore so wondering if my Moon Neo Ace can drive these to their (full) potential. The Moon does pretty well with the HE-500 although haven't compared with other amps yet and going from memory is dangerous haha.

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #5,436 of 6,754
Guys how does the Aeolus compare to the Hifiman HE-500, Audeze LCD-X and ZMF Ori? Also I don't have a dedicated headphone setup anymore so wondering if my Moon Neo Ace can drive these to their (full) potential. The Moon does pretty well with the HE-500 although haven't compared with other amps yet and going from memory is dangerous haha.
I can only speak to the Aeolus vs the Ori and I would say that the Ori has a more elevated bass response and maybe a very slightly more subdued treble. Both are very enjoyable, musically satisfying headphones. Also, the Aeolus is a high-impedance headphone that pairs well with an OTL tube amp. The Ori is a lower impedance headphone and is not suitable for OTL amps.

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #5,437 of 6,754
I can only speak to the Aeolus vs the Ori and I would say that the Ori has a more elevated bass response and maybe a very slightly more subdued treble. Both are very enjoyable, musically satisfying headphones. Also, the Aeolus is a high-impedance headphone that pairs well with an OTL tube amp. The Ori is a lower impedance headphone and is not suitable for OTL amps.
Thank you! The sub bass the Ori has is still the best I ever heard in a headphone.

Yeah I worry about the amp. I’m just not willing to get a dedicated amp at this point has to work well with the Moon Ace. Will only use the headphones for late night listenings in the weekend.

Feb 20, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #5,439 of 6,754
I have to respectfully disagree about the Ori + OTL tube amps. Like all the other planars I've had IMS, the Ori's impedance is pretty flat all the way down, which means it doesn't have the elevated deep- and mid-bass that low impedance dynamics do on OTLs.

I'm not saying that my OTL, the Woo WA3, is the best amp for my Ori. It's really not. But the Ori sounds just fine on the WA3, as does the Final D8000 plus 4-5 other planars I no longer have here.

Feb 20, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #5,442 of 6,754
I have to respectfully disagree about the Ori + OTL tube amps. Like all the other planars I've had IMS, the Ori's impedance is pretty flat all the way down, which means it doesn't have the elevated deep- and mid-bass that low impedance dynamics do on OTLs.

I'm not saying that my OTL, the Woo WA3, is the best amp for my Ori. It's really not. But the Ori sounds just fine on the WA3, as does the Final D8000 plus 4-5 other planars I no longer have here.
Really? Interesting, now I have to try try WA3-Aeolus combo!

Feb 20, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #5,443 of 6,754
Really? Interesting, now I have to try try WA3-Aeolus combo!
That should work really well; the WA3 / Auteur duet was wonderful for me. (WA3 later replaced by the otl WA2.)

Feb 20, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #5,444 of 6,754

Users who are viewing this thread

Back