ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Feb 6, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #5,401 of 6,743
I don’t understand. They don’t want to make money? I guess they worry about the liability and risks when anyone can open the covers considering that they offer lifetime warranty. I am sure there is a reason because they are always very friendly and helpful

I think there is a rod shortage they said. Hard to find reliable parts suppliers these days I guess.

Feb 7, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #5,404 of 6,743
Feb 7, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #5,405 of 6,743
Feb 8, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #5,406 of 6,743
I wanted to share my thoughts on the Aeolus as a long term owner. I have owned my African Blackwood Aeolus for almost 2.5 years now. Since their arrival, I have been fortunate enough to be able to demo (and own) many other amazing headphones (Kennerton Rognir, DCA Stealth, Audeze LCD-5, HIFIMAN Arya, ZMF VC, Focal Clear). Despite trying these other "technically superior" headphones, I have never felt the urge to get rid of the Aeolus.

The strength of the Aeolus for me is it's smooth and full midrange presentation in combination with satisfyingly impactful and punchy bass. I do not think I have heard a more enjoyable midrange on any other headphone. Sure, it does not present the largest sound stage nor the most pinpoint imaging. However, it's ability to present a fun and enjoyable listening experience across my wide ranging music tastes is unmatched, and I know it's a keeper in my collection.

I am currently loving them with the Be2 suede pads.

aeolus_on_salire.jpg

What pads you like? Nice Aeolus!

Feb 9, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #5,407 of 6,743
What pads you like? Nice Aeolus!
Of the pads I have tried so far, which includes the Universe lambskin, hybrid, suede pads, Aeolus stock pads, and Be2 lambskin and suede pads, my favorites have been the Be2 lambskin. These pads have the most satisfyingly punchy bass of all the pads I tried while still keeping the nice mids. The tonality of the Be2 suede and Universe suede pads fit my taste a slightly better by default, but I run a small amount of EQ in the upper mids/lower treble with the Be2 lambskins to really dial them in.

Feb 11, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #5,408 of 6,743
Anyone else with a giant head like me use the Aeolus? I am an XXL hat size. I've had an issue with the adjustment mechanism on Audezes not actually adjusting enough to fit comfortably over my ears. Would I have a similar problem with the Aeolus?

Curious if anyone out there is like me and has been able to use the Aeolus comfortably.

Feb 12, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #5,409 of 6,743
Anyone else with a giant head like me use the Aeolus? I am an XXL hat size. I've had an issue with the adjustment mechanism on Audezes not actually adjusting enough to fit comfortably over my ears. Would I have a similar problem with the Aeolus?

Curious if anyone out there is like me and has been able to use the Aeolus comfortably.
I have a pretty big head. I've never used an Audeze before. But if you're getting a ZMF, make sure to order it with stock leather head strap instead of the suede. You get a couple of adjustment notches on the rods with leather strap. I'm using mine with Suede strap and almost maxed out notches, you should be fine with leather.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #5,410 of 6,743
@metal571 Sorry to bother you. I'm wondering which earpads are you using right now with your Aeolus and what's your EQ settings? Is it changed from your video review?

Feb 15, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #5,411 of 6,743
The shortage involves both rods & cones...I have to wear readers 24/7 & driving at night is becoming an adventure.
I was trying to get a replacement for just one of my grilles as there's a small mark on my right grille. Bevin told me that grille fit is a very specialized task due to the uniqueness of each wood type and I would need to send it in for a repair. It's the same answer to replace the stock rod & grilles as well and obviously would have a charge. Their prices are very reasonable for that though.

Feb 17, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #5,412 of 6,743
Yes, I heard the VC. My problem w/it had nothing to do w/the VC's sound--which is extremely good. It may be the best closed back design I've ever heard. The problem was that most dynamic closed backs (and VC is quite dynamic) push my migraine & tinnitus. Open backs are far easier for me to listen to comfortably.

Re "Do the aeolus still have the richer more romantic mids and more powerful low end? I guess VO likely more neutral?" Yes & yes (though you can push an Aeolus pretty deep into neutrality by using Verite pads). Still, the nuances of Aeolus vs VO are little deeper than that. These drivers & wood earcup/enclosures are different...while the VO & Aeolus share that wonderful ZMF house sound, they do sound rather different (different flavors/profiles of musicality).

I'll post more on that soon. But for me, the bottom line is I want them both. Each one is TOTL in its own particular way IMO.
I have tinnitus also and I am contemplating between VO and Aeolus. Which cans were you more comfortable with for your ears ? Thanks...

Feb 17, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #5,413 of 6,743
You folks got any good songs that really sort of show off the strengths of the suede pads (or vice versa, blatantly unveils the dreadful weaknesses of the stock pads)?

edit: well, the song I posted on the previous page definitely sounds great with the suede pads, at least. I'm not gonna A/B right now because, again, changing the pads really is annoying, but I feel like the vocals became a bit more intimate.

edit 2: the suede pads feel much more comfortable on my skin going by a quick 15min listening session too. I think I'm gonna stick with these for the rest of the week actually, see how I feel come weekend.

edit 3: lunch break, time to do some more listening. I love a lot of low end too much so I decided to put a couple db low shelf around 300hz, felt like it added a nice if relatively subtle sense of body to the sound. Listening to TOOL's Chocolate Chip Trip with the EQ and suede pads and I gotta say, this particular song at the very least sounds ****ing phenomenal. Positively surprised how punchy all the notes sound/feel even with the suede pads.

edit 4: okay, that lunch break went by very fast. I listened to various stuff from hardcore punk to rap to decades old reggae to electronic to Simon and Garfunkel and acid rock and while I'm not sure any of the other songs gave me that wow feeling CCT did, every single one sounded very, very pleasant. I was afraid the suede pads might be too "neutral" for me, but I'm getting a lot of warmth and punch in the lower end (EQ certainly helps here) and absolutely no unpleasantness in the higher end, even though I have tinnitus and I'm pretty dang sensitive to high mids and treble.

Definitely feeling a bit better about the purchase right now. But only time will tell where we'll go from here. I'm extremely curious how I'll feel about these vs the 58X later this week.

I found 58X to be just horribly irritating phones for a tinnitus sufferer like me. It is very grainy. I suppose you found them to be more or less the same.

Feb 17, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #5,414 of 6,743
Just got a pair of these in today. Great sound and good compliment to the Auteur. What is really sticking out is how much lighter these are compared to my Cocobolo Auteur. They came with the stock Sapele wood cups. They have a lot more figuring to them compared to most photos I have seen with the Sapele cups. Really beautiful in person. I'm digging these.

Feb 17, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #5,415 of 6,743
Just got a pair of these in today. Great sound and good compliment to the Auteur. What is really sticking out is how much lighter these are compared to my Cocobolo Auteur. They came with the stock Sapele wood cups. They have a lot more figuring to them compared to most photos I have seen with the Sapele cups. Really beautiful in person. I'm digging these.

I just placed my order for these earlier this week. Can't wait!

Can you share a picture of yours? I would love to see the different figuring Sapele wood offers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back