ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Feb 4, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #5,386 of 6,740
Happy to report there is no more noise from the bopp filter thanks to Zach’s little thumb massage tip. If it acts up in the future I’ll get those fancy new filters. Thanks again!

I have just acquired a Zen Stream as my first foray into eliminating a phone or pc as the digital front end of my system. I’m using Tidal Connect and can’t say 100% that it sounds better, but it is so nice to lose the CCK adapter from my phone. Since I spent $400 on the thing, I’m going to convince myself things have audibly improved!

Overall, the Zen Stream > Bifrost 2 > Quicksilver Headphone Amp > 2K Copper Cable > Cocobolo Aeolus is a very fun and impressive sounding setup. I only have perforated lambskin Universe pads at the moment, but I have some suedes ordered. I think that will take things to the next level for my preferences. I’ve grown pretty accustomed to the increased treble presence of my Auteurs, so the Aeolus is sounding a little dark with the lambskins.

I’m also going to plug in my SW51+ in the next couple of the days to see how it compares to the Quicksilver. I’ve gathered there are quite a few Aeolus owners out there enjoying the combo.
Another easy prediction: You'll like those perforated suede universe pads on the Aeolus.

Feb 4, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #5,387 of 6,740
Another easy prediction: You'll like those perforated suede universe pads on the Aeolus.
Oh yeah, I know I will. Those were my preferred pads with my first Aeolus. This second go-round is with a much-improved chain, so it will be interesting to see how the Aeolus fairs against my current favorite, the Auteur.

Feb 4, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #5,388 of 6,740
Oh yeah, I know I will. Those were my preferred pads with my first Aeolus. This second go-round is with a much-improved chain, so it will be interesting to see how the Aeolus fairs against my current favorite, the Auteur.
🙁…no one listens. I keep saying that the ‘favourite’ headphone is the one on your head…for that moment…for that track 😄.

Feb 4, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #5,389 of 6,740
🙁…no one listens. I keep saying that the ‘favourite’ headphone is the one on your head…for that moment…for that track 😄.
Huh. I always have fomo. I’m wondering how the song would sound on that other pair on the stand...

Feb 4, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #5,390 of 6,740
I personally don’t like to switch back and forth between headphones during the same listening session. Whichever headphone gets picked stays on my head until I’m done for the night. I might go with another choice the next day, but I don’t find it enjoyable to listen to the same track over and over on multiple headphones to try and find the “better” one.

Feb 4, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #5,391 of 6,740
The blackwood Aeolus is my "stealth" headphone. It got pushed aside by the VO, then the Final D8000, then a new amp, the usual this 'n' that. Then I listen to it and get knocked out by that sound all over again.

Feb 4, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #5,392 of 6,740
The blackwood Aeolus is my "stealth" headphone. It got pushed aside by the VO, then the Final D8000, then a new amp, the usual this 'n' that. Then I listen to it and get knocked out by that sound all over again.

I decided to go all in on one TOTL headphone (VC) instead of a few different mid-fi sets. No regrets at all, there’s nothing the VC doesn’t play extremely well imo. I’ll play with different eq profiles and pad combinations, it’s like having a pile of similar but slightly different headphones. You might use one headphone for classical music and another for metal. I would just use the best suited pad and tweak the eq to where I like it best. Someday I would like to get 1 very nice pair of open back planar like a Diana TC but that might have to wait for another years tax returns 😆. Maybe if I’m lucky by then zmf will have some sexy open back planars 😍. I’m super happy with my gear but I can’t promise that the amps will be forever items like my VC. I really love these amps though they definitely staying for a long while. Can’t decide if I like them better in the light or the dark.

Attachments

• A0A708E2-010F-4C08-919C-0E2BE32E9729.jpeg
    A0A708E2-010F-4C08-919C-0E2BE32E9729.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 198E162A-2658-4AD9-AF13-475A9A0C1F13.jpeg
    198E162A-2658-4AD9-AF13-475A9A0C1F13.jpeg
    942.9 KB · Views: 0
Feb 5, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #5,393 of 6,740
I wanted to share my thoughts on the Aeolus as a long term owner. I have owned my African Blackwood Aeolus for almost 2.5 years now. Since their arrival, I have been fortunate enough to be able to demo (and own) many other amazing headphones (Kennerton Rognir, DCA Stealth, Audeze LCD-5, HIFIMAN Arya, ZMF VC, Focal Clear). Despite trying these other "technically superior" headphones, I have never felt the urge to get rid of the Aeolus.

The strength of the Aeolus for me is it's smooth and full midrange presentation in combination with satisfyingly impactful and punchy bass. I do not think I have heard a more enjoyable midrange on any other headphone. Sure, it does not present the largest sound stage nor the most pinpoint imaging. However, it's ability to present a fun and enjoyable listening experience across my wide ranging music tastes is unmatched, and I know it's a keeper in my collection.

I am currently loving them with the Be2 suede pads.

aeolus_on_salire.jpg

Feb 6, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #5,394 of 6,740
I’m thinking about selling some of my ZMF’s to fund some unexpected home repairs. This sadly includes my Cocobolo Aeolus. It’s a shame because I haven’t even received the Universe Suede pads I ordered for them yet!

Thought I’d post here amongst all the Aeolus lovers before going the classifieds route. If someone is interested in the headphones please shoot my a PM. They have copper rods and grills and come with Universe Lambskin pads installed. Here’s a picture I took when I received them:
C11268FD-3467-4D80-99DD-E075FFB303EA.jpeg

Feb 6, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #5,395 of 6,740
I’m thinking about selling some of my ZMF’s to fund some unexpected home repairs. This sadly includes my Cocobolo Aeolus. It’s a shame because I haven’t even received the Universe Suede pads I ordered for them yet!

Thought I’d post here amongst all the Aeolus lovers before going the classifieds route. If someone is interested in the headphones please shoot my a PM. They have copper rods and grills and come with Universe Lambskin pads installed. Here’s a picture I took when I received them:
Sorry to hear this, but you definitely have your priorities straight. It will make someone quite happy I'm sure! Best of luck with the repairs!!

Feb 6, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #5,396 of 6,740

Hate to hear this. Maybe there’s someone who would like to hear a pair of these for a bit and agree to sell them back after a few months? Like a headfi pawn scenario or something? I dunno

Feb 6, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #5,398 of 6,740
I wish I could order the aged copper grills and rods to modify my Aeolus.

Me too but I just want the copper rods for my VC, sadly they won’t even sell you a pair if your willing to pay. You gotta break your existing set for them to even consider replacing the rods as per zmf support 😢

Feb 6, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #5,399 of 6,740
Me too but I just want the copper rods for my VC, sadly they won’t even sell you a pair if your willing to pay. You gotta break your existing set for them to even consider replacing the rods as per zmf support 😢
I don’t understand. They don’t want to make money? I guess they worry about the liability and risks when anyone can open the covers considering that they offer lifetime warranty. I am sure there is a reason because they are always very friendly and helpful

Feb 6, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #5,400 of 6,740
Hello,
One question, maybe two, once a year in November you can buy cups if possible.
Are there any for the Aelous or only conditionally?
How good are the standard cups for the Aelous?
Is it a hard or soft wood?

What would I have to look out for when buying one from a dealer or Zmf directly?
The pad selection always confuses me when I go to the Zmf site.
Which ones come as standard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back