ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jan 27, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #5,356 of 6,717
Well, I'm coming back to the Aeolus after a few years. It was my first ZMF, and I jumped from it to the Verite Closed. Then I moved to the Auteur. Then I bought a second Auteur! Now I find myself with a Cocobolo Aelolus heading my way. I never got to hear my first Aeolus on a tube amp, so I don't think I ever got to hear their true potential. I have a Quicksilver Headphone Amp and a better DAC as well (Bifrost 2), so it will be interesting to see what I think of them now. I'll report back once I give them a listen.
Easy prediction: you're gonna love that Aeolus sound all over again.

Jan 28, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #5,357 of 6,717
Jan 28, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #5,358 of 6,717
IMG_3121.jpg

Hard to take color accurate photos of these. In reality these are more of a deep red. The brass patinas amazing. I know why Zach is starting to age the brass and copper when they ship.

Those looks amazing. Seems like you are selling these on CAM. I would love to buy them but not sure I can justify the price. I already have Aeolus but just the standard version. I asked Zach if he would sell me the brass grills and rods so I could swap them on mine. He seemed to indicate he might have some in a few weeks. I also may get the new head band and new mesh driver covers.

Jan 28, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #5,359 of 6,717
Those looks amazing. Seems like you are selling these on CAM. I would love to buy them but not sure I can justify the price. I already have Aeolus but just the standard version. I asked Zach if he would sell me the brass grills and rods so I could swap them on mine. He seemed to indicate he might have some in a few weeks. I also may get the new head band and new mesh driver covers.
Not sure what i'm doing yet. If I find a buyer for what i'm looking for then great and if not I'll keep them. Either way I want an Aeolus in my collection but not sure if I need this is the set or not. For some stupid reason I think I want an Empyrean again and the prices have dropped considerably.

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #5,360 of 6,717
I swapped the pads to the original Aeolus Perforated pads and i've been listening to them all evening. This is the first time I've had an Aeolus with an iFi Diablo. Unbelievable synergy. Between these and my Rosson's im set. Forget the Empyrean. I'm settled that this is my end game Aeolus. Turned off the listing.

IMG_3147.jpg

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #5,361 of 6,717
Just received my Cocobolo Aeolus today. They look great, but the bopp filter on one side pops in every time I put the headphones on and pops out when I take them off. It’s a little annoying, and I was wondering if anyone has had success adjusting theirs to fix the issue. I know I can buy the new “Radial Vented Mesh” from ZMF, but I’d rather try adjusting it before I spend any more money. Any tips @zach915m?

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #5,362 of 6,717
Buy the mesh! Saved me.

But you could just try loosening the bop filter or readjusting it so it doesn’t flex. It really impaired the enjoyment for me and the néw radial filters were lifesavers.

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #5,363 of 6,717
Just received my Cocobolo Aeolus today. They look great, but the bopp filter on one side pops in every time I put the headphones on and pops out when I take them off. It’s a little annoying, and I was wondering if anyone has had success adjusting theirs to fix the issue. I know I can buy the new “Radial Vented Mesh” from ZMF, but I’d rather try adjusting it before I spend any more money. Any tips @zach915m?
If you massage the center of the mesh with your thumb it will "dent in" and should stop popping.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 29, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #5,364 of 6,717
If you massage the center of the mesh with your thumb it will "dent in" and should stop popping.
I just tried your trick, and to my great surprise it seemed to get rid of the popping noise. I really appreciate the tip @zach915m. If it starts acting up again I’ll just buy the new mesh.

Jan 29, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #5,365 of 6,717
I just tried your trick, and to my great surprise it seemed to get rid of the popping noise. I really appreciate the tip @zach915m. If it starts acting up again I’ll just buy the new mesh.
Noice!

It's one of the few things my "hitch-hikers" thumb has helped with haha, but yes the Titan mesh will never pop on you, but some massaging of the center over the driver on the bopp should do the trick for a while.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 31, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #5,366 of 6,717
Happy to report there is no more noise from the bopp filter thanks to Zach’s little thumb massage tip. If it acts up in the future I’ll get those fancy new filters. Thanks again!

I have just acquired a Zen Stream as my first foray into eliminating a phone or pc as the digital front end of my system. I’m using Tidal Connect and can’t say 100% that it sounds better, but it is so nice to lose the CCK adapter from my phone. Since I spent $400 on the thing, I’m going to convince myself things have audibly improved!

Overall, the Zen Stream > Bifrost 2 > Quicksilver Headphone Amp > 2K Copper Cable > Cocobolo Aeolus is a very fun and impressive sounding setup. I only have perforated lambskin Universe pads at the moment, but I have some suedes ordered. I think that will take things to the next level for my preferences. I’ve grown pretty accustomed to the increased treble presence of my Auteurs, so the Aeolus is sounding a little dark with the lambskins.

I’m also going to plug in my SW51+ in the next couple of the days to see how it compares to the Quicksilver. I’ve gathered there are quite a few Aeolus owners out there enjoying the combo.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #5,368 of 6,717
Can the acoustic titan mesh be used on the VC? or it is just for the aeolus and auteur?
From looking at the ZMF website, only the Aeolus and Auteur use the Acoustic Titan Mesh. The VC has a driver cover on it but no mesh.

Feb 1, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #5,369 of 6,717
Can the acoustic titan mesh be used on the VC? or it is just for the aeolus and auteur?
Each mesh was specifically tuned for the headphone it was designed for... according to Zach the Auteur mesh would make the Aeolus rather veiled. That doesn't mean you can't experiment of course, but the results wouldn't be what Zach intended.

Feb 1, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #5,370 of 6,717
Maybe a stupid question, but with the new mesh should the light or dark side be facing out? I installed mine with the light side facing out, but it seems to catch the pads more than the previous (solid) mesh did, and I noticed on the extra one that the dark side is smoother.

I also managed to drop the little screw that holds the yokes onto the cups into the cups, so I was able to enjoy my first minor dissection of a ZMF headphone. Glad @zach915m had a walkthrough of pulling the baffle and getting those out over in one of the Verite threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back