ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Feb 17, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #5,416 of 6,744
I have tinnitus also and I am contemplating between VO and Aeolus. Which cans were you more comfortable with for your ears ? Thanks...
I haven't had much experience with the Verite Open, but as a fellow tinnitus sufferer I can wholeheartedly recommend the Aeolus. It's wonderfully smooth and not at all grating in the treble.

Feb 17, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #5,417 of 6,744
So I bought the Empyrean that I was going to sell the Aeolus for and man am I ever glad that I didn't sell the Aeolus.

Upon first listen I know why I sold the Empyrean before. They're just sooo unimpressive now that I have spent quite a bit more time in the hobby.

I'll need a few weeks to make a definitive decision but on first listen the Empy's are probably gonna be sold pretty quick.
Not sure what i'm doing yet. If I find a buyer for what i'm looking for then great and if not I'll keep them. Either way I want an Aeolus in my collection but not sure if I need this is the set or not. For some stupid reason I think I want an Empyrean again and the prices have dropped considerably.

Feb 17, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #5,418 of 6,744
I just placed my order for these earlier this week. Can't wait!

Can you share a picture of yours? I would love to see the different figuring Sapele wood offers.
Sure no problem. As usually the photo doesn't do these justice compared to in person.

Attachments

• 20220217_164335.jpg
    20220217_164335.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Feb 17, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #5,420 of 6,744
I can definitely see what you are talking about though. Pretty neat pattern indeed. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks! It has a lot more figuring in person.

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #5,421 of 6,744
I can definitely see what you are talking about though. Pretty neat pattern indeed. Thanks for sharing!
Btw congrats on your soon to be Aeolus. I think you're going to love them.

Feb 18, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #5,422 of 6,744
Btw congrats on your soon to be Aeolus. I think you're going to love them.
Thanks! I'm coming from a pair of HD6XX as a daily driver and hoping these will be a real upgrade from those. I ordered them with the universe suede pads just in case I need to bring them closer to neutral. I don't think I'll ever get rid of my 6XX but I'm hoping the Aeolus sound so good I don't think about them for a little bit :)

Just curious, how long did it take for yours to be made?

Feb 18, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #5,423 of 6,744
I have tinnitus also and I am contemplating between VO and Aeolus. Which cans were you more comfortable with for your ears ? Thanks...
I'll definitely 2nd the Aeolus. Lots of YMMV & IMHO here, but for me my tinnitus is generally exacerbated more from closed back headphones in general as opposed to an open backed. That being said the VC is one of the least tinnitus-aggravating headphones I've ever heard. FWIW I find the Aeolus less bothersome than the VO as well.

I believe @Pharmaboy has had a similar experience.

Feb 18, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #5,425 of 6,744
I'll definitely 2nd the Aeolus. Lots of YMMV & IMHO here, but for me my tinnitus is generally exacerbated more from closed back headphones in general as opposed to an open backed. That being said the VC is one of the least tinnitus-aggravating headphones I've ever heard. FWIW I find the Aeolus less bothersome than the VO as well.

I believe @Pharmaboy has had a similar experience.
Hello,
I've had a number of hearing loss episodes and at one point I was left with mild permanent tinnitus.
From a medical point of view, I had to find something to relax.
And so I started listening to headphones with music.
With the Fostex I noticed that after a while my ears started to buzz after listening to music.
When I switched to planar headphones, I have to say that it got better with everything, even if it took some getting used to.
I can listen for hours without any pain, buzzing or anything else.

I have learned to listen better and to concentrate on the ear, and depending on my mood, my tinnitus disappears, even sometimes on stressful days with success.
I can't say 100% but subconsciously something has happened that has improved. I hear better in the ear where the tinnitus is on some days than on the other side, or I hear things where my wife says you hear things like that, I thought you were deaf.

What I can say is that if you have headphones that amplify this, you need to change to something else.
I still have the Fostex but I listen to them very little so I am selling them.
As soon as I walk into the room I always go for the Planar headphones now.

When I buy headphones today, I still make sure that there are no side effects if possible.
I really like the Zmf headphones and can't wait to hear if it caresses or abuses my ear.

Don't necessarily think of it as a betrayal or a bad thing if you go to another headphone because of your tinitus.
You are doing yourself a favour by training or reprogramming the ear to other things where the usual things of everyday life settle down again.😉

Feb 18, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #5,426 of 6,744
Thanks! I'm coming from a pair of HD6XX as a daily driver and hoping these will be a real upgrade from those. I ordered them with the universe suede pads just in case I need to bring them closer to neutral. I don't think I'll ever get rid of my 6XX but I'm hoping the Aeolus sound so good I don't think about them for a little bit :)

Just curious, how long did it take for yours to be made
I have the 6XX as well (in addition to the 600, 660s, and 58X). While I love the 6XX the Aeolus is on another level. If you have the opportunity try them on an otl tube amp (same goes for the 6XX). It's a match made in heaven.

I bought my Aeolus used so no wait other than the time it took for shipping. Hopefully it won't take too for you to get yours.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #5,427 of 6,744
I have the 6XX as well (in addition to the 600, 660s, and 58X). While I love the 6XX the Aeolus is on another level. If you have the opportunity try them on an otl tube amp (same goes for the 6XX). It's a match made in heaven.

I bought my Aeolus used so no wait other than the time it took for shipping. Hopefully it won't take too for you to get.

I have a Lyr 3 and Bifrost 2 but I have considered going for an actual OTL too. I see you have a Valhalla and a Lyr 2. Did you notice a difference going from hybrid tube to OTL on the Aeolus or 6XX?

Feb 18, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #5,428 of 6,744
I have a Lyr 3 and Bifrost 2 but I have considered going for an actual OTL too. I see you have a Valhalla and a Lyr 2. Did you notice a difference going from hybrid tube to OTL on the Aeolus or 6XX?
Absolutely. While I like the way both sound on the LYR 2, they both sound a good bit better on the otl tube amps I have (Valhalla and Bottlehead Crack). All my higher impedance phones sound better on the otl tube amps. The Lyr 2 excels on planars, which is what I use it for.

Feb 18, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #5,429 of 6,744
Anyone else with a giant head like me use the Aeolus? I am an XXL hat size. I've had an issue with the adjustment mechanism on Audezes not actually adjusting enough to fit comfortably over my ears. Would I have a similar problem with the Aeolus?

Curious if anyone out there is like me and has been able to use the Aeolus comfortably.
I have a pretty big head (7 7/8 hat size) and have a blackwood Aeolus. With leather understrap, I have 2 notches remaining atop each adjustment rod, meaning it's extended >75%.

Then again, I don't know what an XXL hat size is...

Feb 18, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #5,430 of 6,744
I have a silkwood VO and blackwood Aeolus. Also a Final D8000K and Fidelio X2. All work very well for me, better than any closed back.

I have a ZMF Ori that I just love the sound of. But I can't listen to that as long as I can the open-backs, even though the Ori is more tolerable than any other closed back I've had (I'm glad of that because the sound is wonderful).

But even with open backs, I'm still limited in absolute volume and listening duration. On the few occasions I listen as long as 1 hr at moderately loud volume, I pay for it. That's on me--it really has nothing to do with which headphone, as long as they're open back.

That's tinnitus for you. Everyone experiences it differently...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back