ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Feb 9, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #3,736 of 6,740
I hear ya on hunting for tubes, as that is a lot of work in itself. I actually enjoy the hunt, but I have been at it a while, so I know what to look for. Tubemonger does have stock of CV4033, by the way.
Oh you're right! I didn't even see them...I only saw what the google result gave me when I searched "CV4033 Tubemonger" :sweat_smile:

I'm also curious about the Feliks gear. Maybe one day!

Feb 9, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #3,737 of 6,740
I have never heard a La Figaro amp, but I look forward to reading your thoughts when you get it.

I like to offer my opinion/experience.

I have had the Figaro 339 for a few Months, its very tubey, smooth and organic sounding amp with nice soundstage. For me it sounds exceptionally good for Jazz.

However, I recently went to a headfi meetup and had a chance to audition the Aeolus, among other ZMF headphones.

I actually found the Aeolus paired with the Figaro was a bit too warm for me, and maybe too smooth / laid back almost.

I preferred the Aeolus on the BH Crack, as it gave the Aeolus more energy, clarity and dynamics in my opinion.

NOTE: Please be aware, I am more of a treble head than bass head so that is likely why my preference is for Crack pairing.

But I can see someone enjoying the Figaro pairing if they really want more of that smoothness and want even less brightness.

Feb 9, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #3,738 of 6,740
I actually found the Aeolus paired with the Figaro was a bit too warm for me, and maybe too smooth / laid back almost.

I preferred the Aeolus on the BH Crack, as it gave the Aeolus more energy, clarity and dynamics in my opinion.
Keep in mind that with tube amps - different tubes could totally change your preference of an amp pairing with specific headphones. Just saying...

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #3,739 of 6,740
Keep in mind that with tube amps - different tubes could totally change your preference of an amp pairing with specific headphones. Just saying...

Agreed, also bare in mind it was only a very short audition.

I plan to eventually buy the BH Crack and Aeolus so then I can extensively compare and ultimately see which I prefer. I will likely get a BH Crack soonish, but Aelous will be many more Months until I can afford one.

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #3,740 of 6,740
NOTE: Please be aware, I am more of a treble head than bass head so that is likely why my preference is for Crack pairing.

But I can see someone enjoying the Figaro pairing if they really want more of that smoothness and want even less brightness.
Yup, that's me :D

I also want something that'll pair well with my HD600's and (hopefully) Ananda, both of which are brighter than the Aeolus and (at least with the Ananda) could use some taming.

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #3,741 of 6,740
Thanks for this! So cool you've gotten rid of that upper mid range glare with the V2. I gotta say though, as tempting as it is to look for a pair of these tubes and try them out, I'd rather just go for a different amp. They're out of stock of the Brimar CV4033 at tubemonger, and man, as was the case with the WA6-SE, I'm just really burnt out on hunting for tubes that are harder and harder to find these days. It's such a stressful game to play! Then you have to worry about getting tubes with noise issues and that aren't matched well, and I'm just done with it lol. I'm sure your setup sounds amazing though.

I actually just ordered a La Figaro 339i for the Aeolus because it has separate channel volue pots that'll help with my left ear hearing better than my right. It's an issue that has plagued me for so long (anyone else??). For some reason with the Aeolus I hear voices much more obviously to the left than with my other cans...partially becasue the vocal isolation and soundstage are actually really impressive and accurate, but also because my hearing difference might be mostly with the lower frequencies, and therefore warmer-sounding vocals.

I'm loving my brief time with the V2 though! It's a very impressive entry level OTL amp.

My tube recommendations for the La Figaro:. A quad of GEC CV4079 w/ two CV4079/A2293 adapters from EBay as Power Tubes and a pair of Telefunken EF 800 with EF80 adapters as Driver Tubes. Nice and warm with great bass. Another plus, this combo with adapters is easy to find and shouldn't run more than ~$200. I'd get a pair of socket savers for CV4079/A2293 adapters.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #3,742 of 6,740
I had a similar experience, and I am currently using a Valhalla 2 with my Aeolus and Atticus. With the tubes I have in it, I am getting some seriously good sound. Roll in some Brimar Cv4033 (Tubemonger Exclusive) or Raytheon 7728's with some Foton 6N6P, and get ready for some TOTL sound. :gs1000smile: My V2 with the tubes mentioned smoked my BHC. In fact, the V2 with good tubes (adapters + CV4033) blows the BHC out of the water, when it comes to resolution, impact, and sound stage, as well as tonality and timbre.

By the way, with my V2 there is no upper mid range glare at all (tubes make a big difference), and I am very familar with the Schiit upper mids glare (OG Jotunheim I am talking about you). Funny thing is I sold most of my gear making room for a Pendant SE, and while I wait for it, I pulled out my V2 (first amp ever) from storage to just get me by. Well, to my surprise the V2 with the tubes I use, blew my mind and sounds better then anything I have owned so far. Tubes make a big difference, and can really take the V2 to another level. The V2 is my number 1 rec, for an entry level OTL that pairs insanely well with Aeolus and Atticus.

Valhalla 2 with Brimar CV4033 and Foton 6N6P

20210122_161056.jpg

I love it when you talk about tubes, Wes.

Feb 11, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #3,743 of 6,740
The Aeolus on the BH Crackatwoa is just... amazing. I've been running a Bendix 6080 and Telefunken 12AU7 for several years now, and it pairs so well with the Aeolus. I find the hybrid pads to be the sweet spot for me.

The ONLY thing that I can fault the Aeolus on is a bit too much resonance in the upper-mids which can make some piano and synth passages a bit "too much" with a sort of ringing/lingering effect. It's also possible that my ears may be a bit more sensitive to that frequency range, but I also don't experience it on any of my other cans (both open and closed back).

I'm actually chilling in bed listening to it as I type this, using an Allo Katana with Roon as the source. It can take you places. :)

Feb 11, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #3,744 of 6,740
The Aeolus on the BH Crackatwoa is just... amazing. I've been running a Bendix 6080 and Telefunken 12AU7 for several years now, and it pairs so well with the Aeolus. I find the hybrid pads to be the sweet spot for me.

The ONLY thing that I can fault the Aeolus on is a bit too much resonance in the upper-mids which can make some piano and synth passages a bit "too much" with a sort of ringing/lingering effect. It's also possible that my ears may be a bit more sensitive to that frequency range, but I also don't experience it on any of my other cans (both open and closed back).

I'm actually chilling in bed listening to it as I type this, using an Allo Katana with Roon as the source. It can take you places. :)
Forgive the ignorance, but does the Crackatwoa have separate channel volume controls like the La Figaro 339? I read it has some kind of "balance control," but haven't been able to tell exactly what that is. All I see are the three dials, but can't tell what they do :thinking:

I also hear you with that upper mids spike in the consonant range. Probably why I can't stand the stock Valhalla 2 combo for too long before fatigue steps in. Also part of the reason an even darker tube sound appeals - for ultimate relaxation.

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #3,745 of 6,740
On the stock Crackatwoa, there's a volume pot, a balance pot, and an input selector. When upgrading to the stepped attenuator, you essentially replace both the volume and balance pot for a coarse and fine level, per their website:

"So we got very high quality rotary switches and PB put his math degree to work coming up with a very useful thirty-six 1.5dB steps, yielding a total -52.5db of attenuation. Yes, you read that right, 36 steps. We accomplish this with two six position switches, one a stereo coarse control with 9db steps and the other a stereo fine control with 1.5 db steps"

I can't say I ever really noticed any imbalance in mine. I'm sure there may be some level, but something like 0.5dB of imbalance is going to be imperceptible to most. Depends on how OCD you want to be, I suppose. :) What I can say is that the sonic performance of the Crackatwoa is blissful with my HD650's and Aeolus. Not too "sweet/lush/tubey" but also not too dry. It's definitely a nice, organic, goldilocks IMO.

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #3,746 of 6,740
On the stock Crackatwoa, there's a volume pot, a balance pot, and an input selector.
Thanks! Still a little confused though. What does the balance pot do exactly?

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #3,747 of 6,740
Thanks! Still a little confused though. What does the balance pot do exactly?
Adjusting the balance between the left and right channels, like we used to see on old receivers or in most car stereos. This would result in making the left or right channel louder.

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #3,748 of 6,740
Adjusting the balance between the left and right channels, like we used to see on old receivers or in most car stereos. This would result in making the left or right channel louder.
Awesome. Exactly what I was hoping for :D La Figaro 339i order cancelled, time to hunt for a Crackatwoa!

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #3,749 of 6,740
I believe I've seen some on Etsy, but they do charge a premium for their time due to building it.

Honestly, the instructions for how to build your own are very easy to follow. Someone who has never soldered before can do it. Watch some Youtube vids on soldering tips, grab a halfway decent iron, and enjoy! That's my recommendation. After you put it together and plug it in for the first time, you'll have a huge grin on your face. :)

They have a great community in their Forums that provide quick responses to any questions you may have, and I'm happy to help if you encounter any trouble as well.

Nothing wrong with buying one pre-built, but there's definitely a lot of perks to DIY, especially given the great the step-by-step instruction manuals.

Note: If you need a balance control, then you do not want the TwoQuiet Stepped Attenuator upgrade as that replaces it for the benefit of a quieter, blacker background.

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #3,750 of 6,740
Can any Aeolus owners provide some thoughts on DAC/AMP matching for the heapdhone? What should I consider when shopping for a DAC / AMP? I got about a $1,400 setup to build somethig around the Aeolus. It will be pluggd into my PC via USB. I don't have a ton of room on my desk. I could fit a Schiit Gungnir stack (not saying I'd go with this, but just size reference). But couldn't fit a Gungnit with a Hagerman Tuba next to it (not saying I'd go with this either, but size reference ya know). Someting like a Schiit medium stack would fit well.

I just ask for thoughts on synergy. As I don't like much the super neutral delta sigma dac setups, so I'm a firm beiliever in building a setup with considerations of what the DAC and AMP do to the sound, then consider how it will fit the headphone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back