ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Feb 2, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #3,722 of 6,717
I have received the Jotunheim 2 yesterday, so it's probably too early to comments on the sound, but I can say that I like what I hear so far.

uc

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #3,724 of 6,717
Typical Aeolus experience tonight: listening to various music genres (classical, singers/American songbook, blues, funk) w/the Liquid Carbon v2; pads are universe perforated suede. I'm immersed in that rich, detailed Aeolus soundfield again.

This amp illustrates a couple things I like about the Aeolus:
  • It's so amp-friendly that the usual amp-matching concerns don't seem to apply. Here's a somewhat warm amp driving a somewhat warm headphone, but the sound isn't noticeably "warmer" than with other amps. In fact, I don't hear "warmth" in any overt way--instead, this combination sounds clear, well layered, nearly ideal for every genre I try.
  • There's a lot of resolution here, but it sounds so pleasing and "right" for the music that it almost doesn't register as "detail" at all (but clearly is).
The Aeolus never fails to please me...

Feb 5, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #3,725 of 6,717
ZMF headphones really love OTL (tube) amps...
I would say for your budget go with Bottlehead crack or Schiit Valhalla 2.
So funny story...my WA6-SE is currently on the way back to NY to get an issue fixed, and while it's gone I thought I'd stop by the Schiitr and pick up a Valhalla 2 to see what the hype was about with ZMF's and OTL's. The idea was that I could either keep it around as an OTL option for the Aeolus or return it if I didn't like the sound.

Well, holy schiit! Now an OTL is all I want!! The sound from the Valhalla 2 is lean, detailed, wide, and there's some kind of insane voodoo bass magic with the Aeolus that I can't put into words. I wasn't expecting to love the combo THIS much. The only thing that bugs me about almost all Schiit amps is the upper-mid glare/sandpapery sound. You guys know what 'm talking about...though I didn't hear any on the Jot 2 when I demoed it. It's here on the Valhalla 2 and it's mildly annoying, if not for the OTL/ZMF sorcery.

So now I'm set on selling the WA6-SE when it gets back and investing in a higher-end OTL. Anyone have experience with the WA2 and Aeolus? Any other OTL's y'all recommend for it other than the Crack?

Feb 5, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #3,726 of 6,717
So funny story...my WA6-SE is currently on the way back to NY to get an issue fixed, and while it's gone I thought I'd stop by the Schiitr and pick up a Valhalla 2 to see what the hype was about with ZMF's and OTL's. The idea was that I could either keep it around as an OTL option for the Aeolus or return it if I didn't like the sound.

Well, holy schiit! Now an OTL is all I want!! The sound from the Valhalla 2 is lean, detailed, wide, and there's some kind of insane voodoo bass magic with the Aeolus that I can't put into words. I wasn't expecting to love the combo THIS much. The only thing that bugs me about almost all Schiit amps is the upper-mid glare/sandpapery sound. You guys know what 'm talking about...though I didn't hear any on the Jot 2 when I demoed it. It's here on the Valhalla 2 and it's mildly annoying, if not for the OTL/ZMF sorcery.

So now I'm set on selling the WA6-SE when it gets back and investing in a higher-end OTL. Anyone have experience with the WA2 and Aeolus? Any other OTL's y'all recommend for it other than the Crack?
I can recommend:
Shortest Way 51+
Crackatowa (Crack on steroids)

Clean sounding SET amps:
DNA Starlett
ZMF Pendant

Feb 6, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #3,729 of 6,717
Been enjoying Aeolus with Uni. Perf. Suedes for the past few weeks.. been losing sleep cause I can't stop listening! I recently went searching for some new music and came across 80's synthwave...not sure everyone's musical taste, but this is one of the first songs I heard after switching from stock pads.
Wow, speechless..it makes well-recorded stuff sound so good!

Feb 6, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #3,730 of 6,717
Feb 8, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #3,731 of 6,717
I picked up a pair of Aeolus LTD Zebrawood about a week ago for use with my office rig. I have a pair of VC that I love so I'm familiar with the ZMF sound and wanted something more on the warm/fun side of things for this use case and the Aeolus hits the mark there. It pairs wonderfully with my Kenzie Ovation, almost like they were made for each other. These are very quickly becoming my default recommendation when someone asks me what headphones to buy for ~$1k.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #3,732 of 6,717

I had a similar experience, and I am currently using a Valhalla 2 with my Aeolus and Atticus. With the tubes I have in it, I am getting some seriously good sound. Roll in some Brimar Cv4033 (Tubemonger Exclusive) or Raytheon 7728's with some Foton 6N6P, and get ready for some TOTL sound. :gs1000smile: My V2 with the tubes mentioned smoked my BHC. In fact, the V2 with good tubes (adapters + CV4033) blows the BHC out of the water, when it comes to resolution, impact, and sound stage, as well as tonality and timbre.

By the way, with my V2 there is no upper mid range glare at all (tubes make a big difference), and I am very familar with the Schiit upper mids glare (OG Jotunheim I am talking about you). Funny thing is I sold most of my gear making room for a Pendant SE, and while I wait for it, I pulled out my V2 (first amp ever) from storage to just get me by. Well, to my surprise the V2 with the tubes I use, blew my mind and sounds better then anything I have owned so far. Tubes make a big difference, and can really take the V2 to another level. The V2 is my number 1 rec, for an entry level OTL that pairs insanely well with Aeolus and Atticus.

Valhalla 2 with Brimar CV4033 and Foton 6N6P

20210122_161056.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #3,734 of 6,717
I had a similar experience, and I am currently using a Valhalla 2 with my Aeolus and Atticus. With the tubes I have in it, I am getting some seriously good sound. Roll in some Brimar Cv4033 (Tubemonger Exclusive) or Raytheon 7728's with some Foton 6N6P, and get ready for some TOTL sound. :gs1000smile: My V2 with the tubes mentioned smoked my BHC. In fact, the V2 with good tubes (adapters + CV4033) blows the BHC out of the water, when it comes to resolution, impact, and sound stage, as well as tonality and timbre.

By the way, with my V2 there is no upper mid range glare at all (tubes make a big difference), and I am very familar with the Schiit upper mids glare (OG Jotunheim I am talking about you). Funny thing is I sold most of my gear making room for a Pendant SE, and while I wait for it, I pulled out my V2 (first amp ever) from storage to just get me by. Well, to my surprise the V2 with the tubes I use, blew my mind and sounds better then anything I have owned so far. Tubes make a big difference, and can really take the V2 to another level. The V2 is my number 1 rec, for an entry level OTL that pairs insanely well with Aeolus and Atticus.

Valhalla 2 with Brimar CV4033 and Foton 6N6P

20210122_161056.jpg
Thanks for this! So cool you've gotten rid of that upper mid range glare with the V2. I gotta say though, as tempting as it is to look for a pair of these tubes and try them out, I'd rather just go for a different amp. They're out of stock of the Brimar CV4033 at tubemonger, and man, as was the case with the WA6-SE, I'm just really burnt out on hunting for tubes that are harder and harder to find these days. It's such a stressful game to play! Then you have to worry about getting tubes with noise issues and that aren't matched well, and I'm just done with it lol. I'm sure your setup sounds amazing though.

I actually just ordered a La Figaro 339i for the Aeolus because it has separate channel volue pots that'll help with my left ear hearing better than my right. It's an issue that has plagued me for so long (anyone else??). For some reason with the Aeolus I hear voices much more obviously to the left than with my other cans...partially becasue the vocal isolation and soundstage are actually really impressive and accurate, but also because my hearing difference might be mostly with the lower frequencies, and therefore warmer-sounding vocals.

I'm loving my brief time with the V2 though! It's a very impressive entry level OTL amp.

Feb 9, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #3,735 of 6,717
Thanks for this! So cool you've gotten rid of that upper mid range glare with the V2. I gotta say though, as tempting as it is to look for a pair of these tubes and try them out, I'd rather just go for a different amp. They're out of stock of the Brimar CV4033 at tubemonger, and man, as was the case with the WA6-SE, I'm just really burnt out on hunting for tubes that are harder and harder to find these days. It's such a stressful game to play! Then you have to worry about getting tubes with noise issues and that aren't matched well, and I'm just done with it lol. I'm sure your setup sounds amazing though.

I actually just ordered a La Figaro 339i for the Aeolus because it has separate channel volue pots that'll help with my left ear hearing better than my right. It's an issue that has plagued me for so long (anyone else??). For some reason with the Aeolus I hear voices much more obviously to the left than with my other cans...partially becasue the vocal isolation and soundstage are actually really impressive and accurate, but also because my hearing difference might be mostly with the lower frequencies, and therefore warmer-sounding vocals.

I'm loving my brief time with the V2 though! It's a very impressive entry level OTL amp.
I hear ya on hunting for tubes, as that is a lot of work in itself. I actually enjoy the hunt, but I have been at it a while, so I know what to look for. Tubemonger does have stock of CV4033, by the way.

As far as vocals not being centered, I actually have slightly better hearing in my right ear, so I know how annoying that can be. One thing of note, is that a lot of recordings don't actually place the vocals dead center, and good headphones just let you notice that more.

I have never heard a La Figaro amp, but I look forward to reading your thoughts when you get it. As far as OTL'S the Feliks stuff, like the Echo or Elise have been on my radar.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back