ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jan 31, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #3,706 of 6,740
Hi everyone!

I am in need of some advice regarding the Aeolus itself and the Auteur (compared) when it comes to music style. Im looking at these for my first >1000 USD headphones after having read a bunch of reviews. I will be driving these with the Feliks echo mk2 and a dac (Schiit multibit of some variant). I listen mostly to Indie/folk, rock, some punk, a bit of post rock and general modern pop. Some examples of what i listen to now are : The National, Typhoon (sympathetic music is amazing). Arcade Fire,The Hotelier, The Smith Street Band, Taylor Swift. Daft Punk, Florence + the machine. And a handful of acoustic and rock bands (ie rolling stones, johnny cash). Its a bit of an mixup but i prefer warm headphones with good vocals. I'am also a bit treble sensitive.

My current headphones: Mr speakers Mad dogs, Philips X2. Sennheiser HD25-1 II.

Does anyone have any experience with Aeolus and similar music styles?How does it perform?

Thank you! (And Zach for answering my mails quickly).

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #3,707 of 6,740
Hi everyone!

I am in need of some advice regarding the Aeolus itself and the Auteur (compared) when it comes to music style. Im looking at these for my first >1000 USD headphones after having read a bunch of reviews. I will be driving these with the Feliks echo mk2 and a dac (Schiit multibit of some variant). I listen mostly to Indie/folk, rock, some punk, a bit of post rock and general modern pop. Some examples of what i listen to now are : The National, Typhoon (sympathetic music is amazing). Arcade Fire,The Hotelier, The Smith Street Band, Taylor Swift. Daft Punk, Florence + the machine. And a handful of acoustic and rock bands (ie rolling stones, johnny cash). Its a bit of an mixup but i prefer warm headphones with good vocals. I'am also a bit treble sensitive.

Does anyone have any experience with Aeolus and similar music styles?How does it perform?

It has been awhile since I've heard the Aeolus, but I currently have an Auteur and think it does very well with the music you've listed. The National are probably my favorite band, so they get a lot of head time for me. Vocals sound slightly forward, a bit intimate, and life-like with plenty of emotion on the Auteur. Sub bass impact is very good as well. I use the Eikon lambskin pads, which tilt the tonality a bit warmer than neutral, which I prefer for indie rock.

Jan 31, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #3,709 of 6,740
Hi everyone!

I have the Aeolus and tried Auteur briefly. I found the Auteur just a bit zingy in the treble at times. No such issues with the Aeolus. The Auteur does sound more neutral, more open, with more sub bass. The Aeolus is warmer, more intimate, and is a bit thicker in mid bass. Ultimately the treble in the Aeolus suits me better.

Feb 1, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #3,710 of 6,740
Hey folks, been a while! Need to order some new pads for my Aeolus. Currently using the Universe perforated suede. Will probably order another pair of those, but any other recommendations on ZMF pads to try? Particularly if they add a bit more low end.

Also, has anyone found a way to order a replacement leather strap? Messaged ZMF on Facebook but didn't get a response, and the website only has the suede pad to order. Is it better than the leather?

Hope everyone's having a good new year so far.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #3,711 of 6,740
Hey folks, been a while! Need to order some new pads for my Aeolus. Currently using the Universe perforated suede. Will probably order another pair of those, but any other recommendations on ZMF pads to try? Particularly if they add a bit more low end.

Also, has anyone found a way to order a replacement leather strap? Messaged ZMF on Facebook but didn't get a response, and the website only has the suede pad to order. Is it better than the leather?

If you email ZMF, they will get back to you. I actually prefer the suede strap as it is thicker with more padding. Where are you on the headband adjustment? If your head is on the smaller side and you are closer to the smallest headband adjustment, I would suggest getting the suede for the extra thickness and comfort. In my experience the suede takes up an extra click on the headband.

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #3,712 of 6,740
If you email ZMF, they will get back to you. I actually prefer the suede strap as it is thicker with more padding. Where are you on the headband adjustment? If your head is on the smaller side and you are closer to the smallest headband adjustment, I would suggest getting the suede for the extra thickness and comfort. In my experience the suede takes up an extra click on the headband.

Hey thanks for the response, I'll send them an email.

On the height adjustment, I think I'm right in the middle. There are three recessed notches below the band and three above. So sounds like I still have some room for the suede band then?

Might just order that instead!

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #3,713 of 6,740
Hey thanks for the response, I'll send them an email.

On the height adjustment, I think I'm right in the middle. There are three recessed notches below the band and three above. So sounds like I still have some room for the suede band then?

Might just order that instead!

Yep, with the suede band you'd likely be two notches from the largest setting. I think you'd be happy with either, just a preference thing.

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #3,714 of 6,740
Finally joining the Aeolus club! Got these from ZMF November and they just arrived this morning. Indian almond wood cups (one of one) and leopard wood stand. What works of art!

Burning them in with the stock Aeolus pads now, but really looking forward to trying out the perf suede universe soon. They already sound amazing on both my Gilmore Lite mk2 and WA6-SE. Ugh, so in love!

IMG_4063.jpeg
I’m jealous of that stand

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #3,715 of 6,740

The standard strap is on the website as well as the suede, it's listed as "Cowhide Band" right here: https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/zmf-cowhide-band

I picked up a suede recently and find it more comfortable due to the foam padding, personally. I was roughly on the middle notches with the standard strap and with the suede I'm 1 away from maxed out, so I think you'd be fine either way.

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #3,716 of 6,740
The standard strap is on the website as well as the suede, it's listed as "Cowhide Band" right here: https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/zmf-cowhide-band

I picked up a suede recently and find it more comfortable due to the foam padding, personally. I was roughly on the middle notches with the standard strap and with the suede I'm 1 away from maxed out, so I think you'd be fine either way.

Thanks! I didn't order the cowhide one because it says it's for the txxrp, and it only has one hole either side for screws whereas the Aeolus has 2. So I don't think that's the right one unfortunately.

Thanks for the heads up on the suede though, I'm just going to order that.

Now if only they sold the Mohawk Penthouse polish, I can't get it anywhere in Europe...

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #3,717 of 6,740
Thanks! I didn't order the cowhide one because it says it's for the txxrp, and it only has one hole either side for screws whereas the Aeolus has 2. So I don't think that's the right one unfortunately.

Thanks for the heads up on the suede though, I'm just going to order that.

Now if only they sold the Mohawk Penthouse polish, I can't get it anywhere in Europe...

Whoops, I didn't even notice that and had almost ordered one previously!

But yeah, there is nothing the leather strap does better than the suede IMO unless you find you're already maxing out the sizing.

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #3,718 of 6,740

I just happened to email zmf earlier this morning, was asking if they sell the leather strap. My Aeolus has the Suede strap but I have a large head and need max adjustment for the headphone to just fit my head.

I am thinking the only option is to buy their pilot pad (or co-pilot pad), put it on the headband and remove the suede strap...hopefully it'll add some adjustment. I like the Suede strap but it makes the aeolus fit a bit tight on my head.

Feb 2, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #3,719 of 6,740
Guys. I have my eye on these at the moment and I am wondering what amp to get for them. My current setup is as follows:

DAC/Streamer: Bluesound Node 2i.
Amp for speakers: Van Medevoort MA220
Speakers: Dynaudio Contour 1.3MKII

Two things:
a: I could use the 6..35mm output on the Van Medevoort amp
b: I could get a separate amp for the Aeolus. If so, I have a couple that I'm looking at: Schiit Magnius, Topping A50s or SMSL SP200. Do you guys have any other suggestions? Amping budget would be around €300-€400 max.

What would you guys recommend?

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #3,720 of 6,740
Guys. I have my eye on these at the moment and I am wondering what amp to get for them. My current setup is as follows:

DAC/Streamer: Bluesound Node 2i.
Amp for speakers: Van Medevoort MA220
Speakers: Dynaudio Contour 1.3MKII

Two things:
a: I could use the 6..35mm output on the Van Medevoort amp
b: I could get a separate amp for the Aeolus. If so, I have a couple that I'm looking at: Schiit Magnius, Topping A50s or SMSL SP200. Do you guys have any other suggestions? Amping budget would be around €300-€400 max.

What would you guys recommend?
ZMF headphones really love OTL (tube) amps...
I would say for your budget go with Bottlehead crack or Schiit Valhalla 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back