ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Oct 4, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #3,091 of 6,760
How much transparent Aeolus are compared to Auteur for example? While I like warm headphones, I sold my Campfire Cascade bcz they were less transparent and all music somehow sounded the same.
thanks!
So, I've only heard the Cascades once, and they are bass cannons for sure. Auteur and Aeolus aren't going to give you that amount of bass.

If by warm you mean bassy, then Aeolus is less warm and Auteur is less than that. Aeolus still has a good amount of bass, especially with the stock Aeolus pads, but you still get mids and treble that aren't muddled by that.

Oct 5, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #3,092 of 6,760
Thank you for your response. I was wondering how transparent are they. Cascade would be bassy on each and every music, so all my music would sound very similar. Do Aeolus sound-stage size and shape change from music to music? I know that stax and other hi-end headphones have such feature which I really like.

Oct 5, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #3,093 of 6,760
Thank you for your response. I was wondering how transparent are they. Cascade would be bassy on each and every music, so all my music would sound very similar. Do Aeolus sound-stage size and shape change from music to music? I know that stax and other hi-end headphones have such feature which I really like.
They can depending on the song, and I'd say they have about average soundstage width for most high end headphones. Pads affect this too, and Zach has a great pad guide on his site.

The Verite are the best in the ZMF line in regards to soundstage, and I think the Auteur and Aeolus second.

Oct 5, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #3,094 of 6,760
So I got my new pads (hybrid suede) in today and low and behold I made a mistake when ordering them! I got the closed back version and not the perforated version of these pads. What a huge difference it makes! I assume this is the same for all the other non-perforated versions of pads for the Aeolus but it basically sounds like a Atticus. The slam goes way up and the mids take a little bit of a backseat. It's definitely warmer than the stock pads and you begin to lose out on quite a bit of air and detail. The stock pads strike that nice balance while needing just a little bit more smoothness in the mids. Now it may sound like I don't like them but on the contrary they make the Aeolus a lot more fun and they seem to enjoy warm tubes. Warmer tubes help lift the mids so they become more pronounced in the face of the huge midbass bump. I'm going to be experimenting with tube combinations but so far my favorite are some 50s JAN 5670s.

I am going to reorder the regular perforated hybrid but did not expect such a huge change. Just a heads up for those who may make a similar mistake (albeit pleasant) as I did.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #3,096 of 6,760
This Aeolus (Sapele / Magnesium Chassis) is for my birthday, so technically I shouldn't be listening to it yet. But I suppose a few hours of burn-in would be good before the big day, right? By the way, it weighs in at 442 grams. Very comfortable.

20201007_132749_2.jpg

Oct 9, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #3,097 of 6,760
I finally took the plunge after months and months of salivating while reading ZMF threads and checking Head-Fi, Reddit, USAudioMart and eBay constantly for a used ZMF to pop up for sale. I bought a beautiful used Aeolus with the stock Sapele wood a few minutes ago here on Head-Fi, and I’m super excited to say the least!

I had my heart set on a Blackwood LTD version of the Auteur or Aeolus with silver grilles and rods, but those seem impossibly hard to find. When they did turn up, they’ve been out of my price range or snatched up by someone before I even see they’re available. What a relief it is to have finally made a purchase.

I have been on Head-Fi since 2005, but I have never dipped my foot into the $1000+ range of headphones. The past few years, my daily driver has been the ModHouse Argon. They’re a Fostex T50RP mod that has become very popular. I have really enjoyed them (especially after I got a Schiit Loki and dialed back the bass a little bit). I even sold my Massdrop HD58X because they were never getting used after my Argon arrived.

I really expect the Aeolus to dethrone the Argons in my house, but we shall see. The Argon is mostly closed and the Aeolus is open, so I may keep them both in the end for different purposes.

My setup will be a Topping E30 into a JDS Labs EL Amp II. I also have a Emotiva A-100 amp that I may plug the Aeolus into just out of curiosity, but sadly I don’t have any tube amps. I have been eyeballing the Liquid Platinum, but I think I’ll stick with what I’ve got at the moment. Not to mention, the wallet is beyond empty after the Aeolus purchase.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for sharing their impressions. It really helped me make my decision to go with the Aeolus. I will be sure to post my thoughts after spending some time with these beauties:
0A3E9642-C43D-48B9-89E6-5F03CFF83FB8.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #3,098 of 6,760
I finally took the plunge after months and months of salivating while reading ZMF threads and checking Head-Fi, Reddit, USAudioMart and eBay constantly for a used ZMF to pop up for sale. I bought a beautiful used Aeolus with the stock Sapele wood a few minutes ago here on Head-Fi, and I’m super excited to say the least!

I had my heart set on a Blackwood LTD version of the Auteur or Aeolus with silver grilles and rods, but those seem impossibly hard to find. When they did turn up, they’ve been out of my price range or snatched up by someone before I even see they’re available. What a relief it is to have finally made a purchase.

I have been on Head-Fi since 2005, but I have never dipped my foot into the $1000+ range of headphones. The past few years, my daily driver has been the ModHouse Argon. They’re a Fostex T50RP mod that has become very popular. I have really enjoyed them (especially after I got a Schiit Loki and dialed back the bass a little bit). I even sold my Massdrop HD58X because they were never getting used after my Argon arrived.

I really expect the Aeolus to dethrone the Argons in my house, but we shall see. The Argon is mostly closed and the Aeolus is open, so I may keep them both in the end for different purposes.

My setup will be a Topping E30 into a JDS Labs EL Amp II. I also have a Emotiva A-100 amp that I may plug the Aeolus into just out of curiosity, but sadly I don’t have any tube amps. I have been eyeballing the Liquid Platinum, but I think I’ll stick with what I’ve got at the moment. Not to mention, the wallet is beyond empty after the Aeolus purchase.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for sharing their impressions. It really helped me make my decision to go with the Aeolus. I will be sure to post my thoughts after spending some time with these beauties:
0A3E9642-C43D-48B9-89E6-5F03CFF83FB8.jpeg
Congrats! They look gorgeous and you're going to love them. They are a big step up from your old set.

Oct 10, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #3,099 of 6,760
I will be getting a 4-pin XLR OFC cable with the Aeolus, and I only have single-ended amps. If anyone has a ZMF OFC 1/4” cable they’re looking to part with, please shoot me a PM. I’d also be interested in a ZMF OFC XLR to 1/4” adapter.

Edit: I was able to find one from someone here. Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #3,100 of 6,760

You'll very likely love the Aeolus. I certainly love mine...

I have another ZMF headphone, the Ori (which I suppose is the ultimate T50RP mod, except it's even more than that) and I find it + the Aeolus to be the ideal, contrasting pair of headphones...one a closed planar, the other an open-back dynamic, both musical beyond words.

Oct 10, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #3,101 of 6,760
How does Aeolus compare to Auteur in vocals personally for people? I'm looking for an all rounder with that bit of 'fun'. I have heard that Auteur is technically better but Aeolus has that fun factor. Sorry I'm pretty new to the space so can't go into technical words.

Oct 10, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #3,102 of 6,760
How does Aeolus compare to Auteur in vocals personally for people? I'm looking for an all rounder with that bit of 'fun'. I have heard that Auteur is technically better but Aeolus has that fun factor. Sorry I'm pretty new to the space so can't go into technical words.
That's a succinct way of summing it up, though it's obviously a bit more than just that.

The Auteur is more neutral overall, more of a sub bass emphasis where the Aeolus has more mid bass punch (though not crazy or muddy, and is tunable with pads swapping).

For me the biggest difference is in the mids where the upper mids are just a bit too hot for my tastes (not egregious) on the Auteur and the Aeolus has a more relaxed midrange presentation.

Kerp in mind I'm more familiar with the Aeolus so YMMV and all that.

Oct 10, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #3,103 of 6,760
I think thats what I wanted to hear, but my wallet doesnt. Which wood Is your aeolus? i love the look of blackwood but afraid itll be too heavy. Camphor seems most suitable for the looks as well as weight. But then theres Cocobolo..

Oct 11, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #3,104 of 6,760
Im curious how the Aeolus will compete to the new Beyerdynamic T1 3rd gen. I have a cocobolo Aeolus ordered . Somebody heard both already?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #3,105 of 6,760
I think thats what I wanted to hear, but my wallet doesnt. Which wood Is your aeolus? i love the look of blackwood but afraid itll be too heavy. Camphor seems most suitable for the looks as well as weight. But then theres Cocobolo..
I have the Sapele wood. I understand your concerns, but I find all the ZMFs to feel comfortable because of the design, that support strap works wonderfully. I haven't felt any too heavy for me (add some more YMMV of course). Naturally you'll not know until you try for yourself, which it sounds like you will eventually. Sort of sorry for your wallet but well worth it IMO. Definitely not sorry for your ears though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back