ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Oct 11, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #3,106 of 6,760
I think thats what I wanted to hear, but my wallet doesnt. Which wood Is your aeolus? i love the look of blackwood but afraid itll be too heavy. Camphor seems most suitable for the looks as well as weight. But then theres Cocobolo..

I have a blackwood Aeolus and it's definitely not too heavy for me. Then again, I've never been affected by the weight of any headphone, at least not that I can recall. I had a padauk Eikon that I think/suspect was even a little heavier than the Blackwood Aeolus (because the earcups are larger w/no central cutout for a screen; and because it used std metal for the frame vs magnesium for the Blackwood Aeolus). I saddled up w/that Eikon & never felt it weighed too much.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #3,107 of 6,760
I too find the ZMF headphones among the most comfortable ‘big’ headphones I’ve worn, and that includes the LCD-3 with suspension even though the LCD-3 has the best-pads-in-the-world-ever :)

Speaking of pads I've been going back and forth between the hybrid and stock pads. I really think the stock pads stand out as more balanced allowing you to hear more detail and get deeper into the mix while the hybrid pads are just a lot of fun. The mids are more creamy and the bass is actually quite a bit better in quantity than the stock pads surprisingly enough.

Those of you who have purchased the universe perforated suede would you describe them as more analytical or warm? I think analytical pads actually play really well with the strengths of these cans. These cans have the euphony and tone you'd love out of the Atticus but the posters before me are right - with the right setup they can actually squeeze quite a bit of detail with good imaging. That's my next pads to try so any input is appreciated!

My current favorites are Stock (most balanced and detailed) > Hybrid Perforated > Hybrid solid (most fun)

Oct 12, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #3,108 of 6,760
Speaking of pads I've been going back and forth between the hybrid and stock pads. I really think the stock pads stand out as more balanced allowing you to hear more detail and get deeper into the mix while the hybrid pads are just a lot of fun. The mids are more creamy and the bass is actually quite a bit better in quantity than the stock pads surprisingly enough.

Those of you who have purchased the universe perforated suede would you describe them as more analytical or warm? I think analytical pads actually play really well with the strengths of these cans. These cans have the euphony and tone you'd love out of the Atticus but the posters before me are right - with the right setup they can actually squeeze quite a bit of detail with good imaging. That's my next pads to try so any input is appreciated!

My current favorites are Stock (most balanced and detailed) > Hybrid Perforated > Hybrid solid (most fun)

I've never heard the hybrid perforated or hybrid solid. I have heard 3 pads (in order of increasing neutrality/resolution)
  1. Stock universe pads
  2. Perforated suede universe
  3. Verite (perforated lambskin)
My favorite pad is #2, IMO the perfect blend of euphonic/musical "fun" with more resolution & neutrality. But in absolute terms, #2 is not very close in neutrality to other somewhat differently voiced headphones such as the Auteur/stock pads or Verite Open/stock pads.

It's when you get to #3 that IMO this headphone gets as resolving & neutral as it can get, but still has a healthy dose of euphony & fun. I could happily live with #3 (Verite pads) but still prefer #2, which is flat-out addictive.

For what it's worth, as I've posted here before--I think the Aeolus doesn't get enough credit for how resolving it is, regardless of pads used. It's certainly above average in that dep't. When I compare to a similarly voiced dynamic HP with less resolution (my trusty Fidelio X2s), it's quite easy to hear the greater resolution of the Aeolus. There's simply more "there, there."

Oct 12, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #3,109 of 6,760
I've never heard the hybrid perforated or hybrid solid. I have heard 3 pads (in order of increasing neutrality/resolution)
  1. Stock universe pads
My favorite pad is #2, IMO the perfect blend of euphonic/musical "fun" with more resolution & neutrality. But in absolute terms, #2 is not very close in neutrality to other somewhat differently voiced headphones such as the Auteur/stock pads or Verite Open/stock pads.

It's when you get to #3 that IMO this headphone gets as resolving & neutral as it can get, but still has a healthy dose of euphony & fun. I could happily live with #3 (Verite pads) but still prefer #2, which is flat-out addictive.

For what it's worth, as I've posted here before--I think the Aeolus doesn't get enough credit for how resolving it is, regardless of pads used. It's certainly above average in that dep't. When I compare to a similarly voiced dynamic HP with less resolution (my trusty Fidelio X2s), it's quite easy to hear the greater resolution of the Aeolus. There's simply more "there, there."

Thanks Pharma. That’s the kind of detail I was looking for. I think I will go with #2 then. I still prefer my warmth but with the added air should make for an even more enjoyable sound. Do you find the bass gets too flat from the stock pads with these?

Oct 12, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #3,110 of 6,760
Thanks Pharma. That’s the kind of detail I was looking for. I think I will go with #2 then. I still prefer my warmth but with the added air should make for an even more enjoyable sound. Do you find the bass gets too flat from the stock pads with these?

The bass on the Aeolus get flattest w/the Verite pads, but IMO it never gets too flat. While you can really tune the sound w/different pads, the basic sound of the Aeolus always shines through. You simply can't make this headphone sound boring or sterile...impossible.

Oct 12, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #3,111 of 6,760
  1. Stock universe pads

Immediate impressions switching from perforated hybrid to perforated suede universe pads:
  • snappier/clearer highs, easier to pick up on the details (slightly less veiled?)
  • not as much weight/slam in the mid bass.
  • Less "warm" than the hybrids, but definitely not "too bright". Just feels more balanced.
  • Subbass is more pronounced (in contrast to mid-bass being more recessed)
  • There is definitely an airier quality (more decay?). Possibly a slightly more open stage / more depth, but hard to tell for sure.

It's still super fun, albeit to me in a slightly different way. Do I want to really focus on the details? Am I listening to Qobuz using bit-perfect WASAPI with my eyes closed after eveyone else has gone to bed, seeking out those hidden details I've never heard before in a song I've listened to 1,000 times? Or am I streaming spotify while working and want to "feel" the music in the background? I went down the path of trying to determine the "perfect pad all arounder" and was unable to choose just one... They both perform very well in whatever listening scenario I am in. The hybrids still allow you to pick on the details if you look for them, and (as pharmaboy said) the universe suede is not lacking in bass, just more balanced.

Honestly, after 10 minutes, the "brain burn in" factor takes over I stop focusing on the differences and melt away into the bliss of how good the Aeolus sounds, regardless of which pad it's wearing. So another question to ask, are both pads worth owning? I think so! Is it worth swapping back and forth like a madman? Probably not. If I could choose just one? The perforated suede is the most different from stock and gives you the most versatility in terms of bringing out more of the analytical side while still sounding extremely euphonic and fun. I have not heard the Verite pad.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #3,112 of 6,760
Has anyone used their Aeolus with the JDS Labs EL Amp II? I assume it should be pretty similar to the Atom amp, which Zach says works well with his dynamics.

I’ll also be interested to try my Aeolus with my Emotiva A-100. If you’re not familiar with this amp, it has jumpers that if installed put the whole power of the speaker amp into the 1/4” headphone output. This is overkill for any headphones obviously, but I’ve been impressed using this amp with my Argons.

If you take the jumpers out there are 220ohm resistors in place on the headphone output, which might be interesting to try since so many of you use OTL tube amps which have notoriously high output impedance. Maybe this would play nicely with the ZMF’s. I’ll be sure to report back.

Oct 13, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #3,113 of 6,760
I just bought a used (but like new!) Aeolus. This unit was built in July 2020. This is my first upgrade since I bought a HD650 12 (!) years ago. I am a little puzzled by the impressions I've read and by what I'm hearing. I am using a Topping D10 and Valhalla 2. Source is FLAC out my Macbook. Please note, I am not been very well versed in audio vocabulary. I am using the stock pads.

- While this headphone has more bass than a HD650 it is not a very bassy headphone. In many tracks, I miss bass and have to turn up the volume to hear it.
- When I do turn up the volume, the mid-range is so loud and forward that it hurts my ears I tone it back down.
- The mid-range sounds beautiful. Better than the HD650. The bass has texture and definition to it. It just does not seem to be hitting hard which is why I keep wanting to turn up the volume. The music seems to lack "meat".

The lack of "meatiness" is not true for all songs. For example, Dreams - Fleetwood Mac sounds very pleasing, smooth, lush. The bass is there, not overpowering, just right. I think I can say all of Rumours is like this.

But some albums I just cannot enjoy, which again is different from the impressions. For example, All Things Must Pass - George Harrison sounds very hollow.

This has me puzzled. Is it the amplifier? Is the Valhalla 2 just too "lean"? Do I look for a better amplifier (Liquid Platinum) or a different headphone?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #3,114 of 6,760
I just bought a used (but like new!) Aeolus. This unit was built in July 2020. This is my first upgrade since I bought a HD650 12 (!) years ago. I am a little puzzled by the impressions I've read and by what I'm hearing. I am using a Topping D10 and Valhalla 2. Source is FLAC out my Macbook. Please note, I am not been very well versed in audio vocabulary. I am using the stock pads.

- While this headphone has more bass than a HD650 it is not a very bassy headphone. In many tracks, I miss bass and have to turn up the volume to hear it.
- When I do turn up the volume, the mid-range is so loud and forward that it hurts my ears I tone it back down.
- The mid-range sounds beautiful. Better than the HD650. The bass has texture and definition to it. It just does not seem to be hitting hard which is why I keep wanting to turn up the volume. The music seems to lack "meat".

The lack of "meatiness" is not true for all songs. For example, Dreams - Fleetwood Mac sounds very pleasing, smoothing, lush. The bass is there, not overpowering, just right. I think I can say all of Rumours is like this.

But some albums I just cannot enjoy, which again is different from the impressions. For example, All Things Must Pass - George Harrison sounds very hollow.

This has me puzzled. Is it the amplifier? Is the Valhalla 2 just too "lean"? Do I look for a better amplifier (Liquid Platinum) or a different headphone?
You might get a little more gravy for your potatoes with a different amp. BUT... the Auteur is the most "neutral" ZMF headphone in the line up. If you want a significant increase to the bass, the Eikon, Aeolus or Verite O/C provide that. Upgrading the amp probably won't increase the bass as much as you get by going to a more bass focused headphone.

I love my Auteur. I pair mine with the EC Black Widow 2 or ECP T4. The T4 is running warmer sounding Mullard tubes. Both are more impactful in the bass region than the Valhalla iirc.

I also recently received a Pendant, which I am using with some cleaner sounding tubes in it. I'm trying to tune it for the Verite Closed at the moment. However, I had put those warmer Mullard tubes in for a while and listened with the Auteur, and that was an outstanding match. I had no lack of bass at all for my tastes.

Aside - The Pendant is such a cleaner and more neutral sounding amp compared to the other A&S amps I've heard, and I think it's a much better match for ZMF headphone because of it. I'm truly falling in love with this little guy. It's a touch warmer in the mids and bass than the ZDS with a tad less headstage (but it's exceedingly rare to beat the ZDS here), with more than enough detail to compete with other top tier amps. It does beat the T4 in headstage, and sounds a bit more resolving. Great flexibility, such a clean yet musical amp!

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #3,115 of 6,760
You might get a little more gravy for your potatoes with a different amp. BUT... the Auteur is the most "neutral" ZMF headphone in the line up. If you want a significant increase to the bass, the Eikon, Aeolus or Verite O/C provide that. Upgrading the amp probably won't increase the bass as much as you get by going to a more bass focused headphone.

I love my Auteur. I pair mine with the EC Black Widow 2 or ECP T4. The T4 was running warmer sounding Mullard tubes. Both are more impactful in the bass region than the Valhalla iirc.

I also recently received a Pendant, which I am using with some cleaner sounding tubes in it. I'm trying to tune it for the Verite Closed at the moment. However, I had put those warmer Mullard tubes in for a while and listened with the Auteur, and that was an outstanding match. I had no lack of bass at all for my tastes.

Aside - The Pendant is such a cleaner and more neutral sounding amp compared to the other A&S amps I've heard, and I think it's a much better match for ZMF headphone because of it. I'm truly falling in love with this little guy. It's a touch warmer in the mids and bass than the ZDS, with a tad less headstage (but it's exceedingly rare to beat the ZDS here), and more than enough detail to compete with other top tier amps.

After my post, I took a deep breath and adjusted the clamp force. I adjusted it such that the force is a lot more and I think that has increased the bass amount by a lot. I almost think I need a shorter head strap! This has also certainly taken the edge off the mids; the guitar now sounds beautiful on Rumours. Even more so than my earlier impressions.

Oct 13, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #3,116 of 6,760
Heh. Yeah, I was wondering about your experience because the Aeolus is a pretty mid-bass forward sound with the stock pads, in my experience. It's not excessive or anything since the bump is pretty wide and slopes gently, but I never feel like the mids overtake the bass.

Oct 13, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #3,117 of 6,760
Do you guys generally have a tight clamp force? Mine are very "squished":
1602640770609.png

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #3,118 of 6,760
LOL! I thought I was in the Auteur thread. damn

Oct 13, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #3,120 of 6,760
After my post, I took a deep breath and adjusted the clamp force. I adjusted it such that the force is a lot more and I think that has increased the bass amount by a lot. I almost think I need a shorter head strap! This has also certainly taken the edge off the mids; the guitar now sounds beautiful on Rumours. Even more so than my earlier impressions.

I'm glad to read this update. It really made no sense to me that the bass on your Aeolus wasn't enough.

To be clear, I have other headphones where the bass goes lower & hits harder (the Eikon was like that; and the Ori has that wonderful planar bass). The Aeolus is bassy, but it's not forensic, concussive bass. It's very tuneful, musical bass; all the frequencies on that headphone are that way.

Put the Aeolus on the right SS amp (like the V281) and the bass gets a little more taut & dynamic. But the underlying musical vibe never really changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back