ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Sep 18, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #3,061 of 6,760
If there is a bad combination between the Aeolus and an amp, I haven't found it. That said, technicalities with the Aeolus can be there if you want/need them. But they are really good at making music sound enjoyable rather than just showing off how good technicalities can get.

Very well said.

I believe the Aeolus' resolution is underappreciated because this headphone doesn't lead with sharper-than-reality transients & an overly emphatic upper mids/low treble. Put Verite pads on the Aeolus & you'll hear a quite a bit of resolution; IMO it's above average w/perf. suede universe pads, too...letting me "hear into" complex musical passages with clarity. But on the Aeolus, resolution sounds like music, not an aggregation of technicalities.

Then again, true confessions time: in all the years of big 2-channel audio systems, then desktop audio systems, and now, headphone audio--I never cared much for flash & sizzle, razor-sharp transients, drum kits that sound like artillery fire. The more an audio system reminds me of live music played in a real space, the more I like it.

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #3,062 of 6,760
Well said. The Aeolus is one of my absolute favorite headphones and the pairing with the Liquid Platinum is a match made in heaven. The Woo Audio WA3 is a superb combo also.

I should look into it. It seems to use the same driver tubes as the LP so it would be nice to swap the sound a bit. Have you tried 12AU7 adapters on your WA3?

Sep 18, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #3,063 of 6,760
+1 re Woo WA3...an excellent little amp.

I'm currently obsessing over Monoprice's launch of the Liquid Gold X, based on my very positive experiences w/the Liquid Carbon v2 (which the Aeolus sounds great on--like all my amps).

I haven't had a chance to try my recently arrived Liquid Gold X with my Aeolus, but that's one of the combos that I'm looking forward to trying.

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #3,065 of 6,760
I haven't had a chance to try my recently arrived Liquid Gold X with my Aeolus, but that's one of the combos that I'm looking forward to trying.

Wow, didn't realize you were one of the early adopters of LGX.

I'm reasonably sure that amp will sound great. But it's usability issues, primarily potentially too much gain & too sharp a slope in the volume pot, that concern me.

I look forward to your comments on that amp. BTW, easy prediction: your aelous will sound great on it!

Sep 18, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #3,066 of 6,760
Then again, true confessions time: in all the years of big 2-channel audio systems, then desktop audio systems, and now, headphone audio--I never cared much for flash & sizzle, razor-sharp transients, drum kits that sound like artillery fire. The more an audio system reminds me of live music played in a real space, the more I like it.

I agree completely. I like technicalities, but they are not the reason that I get engaged by music. It's harder to describe why the engagement factor happens, but I think it's more due to tone, timbre, realism etc and less about soundstage and instrument separation.

This doesn't mean I won't buy headphones with TOTL technicalities, it just means they will be ZMFs!!! Zach is great at making technicalities highly listenable.

Sep 18, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #3,067 of 6,760
Sep 18, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #3,068 of 6,760
Am currently very happy with how the Aeolus sound coming from my SS amp, V280. Guess my next sonic adventure is perhaps to introduce a tube amp to the mix as I read that ZMF headphones have great synergies with tubes. The Feliks Echo seems like a good place to start.

Felik's Audio and ZMF are a great pairing. So many positive opinions here and elsewhere, and I can personally attest to the combination.

Sep 24, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #3,070 of 6,760
Well, I think I've had enough time with it already, so I'll write a bit about my experience. The timber on the Aeolus is the best I've ever heard on a full size headphone. On IEMs, the best timber for me was on the HA-FX750 Kenwood series (that I also happen to own), which weirdly enough also has wood on the body. Maybe the wood is what's behind the organic timber sound.

Most of my time with the Aeolus was spent with the suede perforated pads, which I ended up liking more. After breaking in the headphones, the bass with the suede pads now sound considerably more impactful, similar to what I got right after I started listening to the cans new out of the box with the leather pads. The suede pads considerably add clarity to the treble, a bit more soundstage, as well as gives a more airy presentation to the sound. It is still not crazy resolving, for that you should be looking at the Auteur. This headphone is really a chilling can in the end. But a freaking good one at that.

The HD6XX has more spark on the treble. It loses on mids (yes, hard to believe, I know), and loses hard on lows. But if I was someone that spends a lot of time listening to classical music, orchestra, etc, the HD6XX would be better for that specifically. A Hifiman Arya would be the perfect complement to these cans. I also had an HD700 for the span of 5 or so years, used it heavily equalized, and orchestras on that one used to give me goosebumps. With the Aeolus? Nope, not a thing. I don't like bright headphones though, and the only pair of cans I've heard that resolves very well and is not bright is the Focal Stellia. If my income was considerably higher, I'd consider having Stellias as my go to closed back cans. I love the looks, and I loved the sound.

The Aeolus is really all about the mids and lows, with enough resolution on highs that will give you most of the information behind the scenes without really having to look for it. Not a hint of sibilance. Not from a mile distance away. It's hard to describe how organic this thing sounds. I really, really like it.

It's interesting to note that I started the ZMF game with a Dan Clark Audio 2 Closed Back. I couldn't bring myself to like it (even though I did want to like it), sent it back 5 months later (headphones.com or headphones.ca allows you to do that for a full refund within a year of purchase, given you treated the product well), went on a store with full intention to purchase an Audeze LCD2, but again really didn't like what I was hearing. I then tried two LCD-X in two stores, and both sounded weirdly different from one another (same year of production, so yeah, go figure), but none of them was for me. One was extremely neutral, the other kinda bright, so a no go for me. After all that, I ended up at the end of a line that made me wait almost 4 months before putting my hands (and head) on a ZMF headphone.

It's worth it. Really. Worth. It. It sounds what I expected the LCD2 to sound (this has already been said by another reviewer in the past somewhere in the Internet, which I fully heartily agree). The LCD2 would had cost me considerably less than the Aeolus because the former I could get at a really awesome discount, while the latter could only be bought in USD at full price, while my currency is the Canadian dollar. Now, after finally having experienced both, I can say with confidence that the Aeolus was the right pick, no matter how much more I ended up paying.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #3,072 of 6,760
Well, I think I've had enough time with it already, so I'll write a bit about my experience. The timber on the Aeolus is the best I've ever heard on a full size headphone. On IEMs, the best timber for me was on the HA-FX750 Kenwood series (that I also happen to own), which weirdly enough also has wood on the body. Maybe the wood is what's behind the organic timber sound.

Most of my time with the Aeolus was spent with the suede perforated pads, which I ended up liking more. After breaking in the headphones, the bass with the suede pads now sound considerably more impactful, similar to what I got right after I started listening to the cans new out of the box with the leather pads. The suede pads considerably add clarity to the treble, a bit more soundstage, as well as gives a more airy presentation to the sound. It is still not crazy resolving, for that you should be looking at the Auteur. This headphone is really a chilling can in the end. But a freaking good one at that.

The HD6XX has more spark on the treble. It loses on mids (yes, hard to believe, I know), and loses hard on lows. But if I was someone that spends a lot of time listening to classical music, orchestra, etc, the HD6XX would be better for that specifically. A Hifiman Arya would be the perfect complement to these cans. I also had an HD700 for the span of 5 or so years, used it heavily equalized, and orchestras on that one used to give me goosebumps. With the Aeolus? Nope, not a thing. I don't like bright headphones though, and the only pair of cans I've heard that resolves very well and is not bright is the Focal Stellia. If my income was considerably higher, I'd consider having Stellias as my go to closed back cans. I love the looks, and I loved the sound.

The Aeolus is really all about the mids and lows, with enough resolution on highs that will give you most of the information behind the scenes without really having to look for it. Not a hint of sibilance. Not from a mile distance away. It's hard to describe how organic this thing sounds. I really, really like it.

It's interesting to note that I started the ZMF game with a Dan Clark Audio 2 Closed Back. I couldn't bring myself to like it (even though I did want to like it), sent it back 5 months later (headphones.com or headphones.ca allows you to do that for a full refund within a year of purchase, given you treated the product well), went on a store with full intention to purchase an Audeze LCD2, but again really didn't like what I was hearing. I then tried two LCD-X in two stores, and both sounded weirdly different from one another (same year of production, so yeah, go figure), but none of them was for me. One was extremely neutral, the other kinda bright, so a no go for me. After all that, I ended up at the end of a line that made me wait almost 4 months before putting my hands (and head) on a ZMF headphone.

It's worth it. Really. Worth. It. It sounds what I expected the LCD2 to sound (this has already been said by another reviewer in the past somewhere in the Internet, which I fully heartily agree). The LCD2 would had cost me considerably less than the Aeolus because the former I could get at a really awesome discount, while the latter could only be bought in USD at full price, while my currency is the Canadian dollar. Now, after finally having experienced both, I can say with confidence that the Aeolus was the right pick, no matter how much more I ended up paying.

Sep 25, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #3,075 of 6,760
I think I was around 14 or 15 weeks.
I'm curious if these are the regular Aeolus or limited editions. I ordered the regular Aeolus the first week of May and received it in late June, about seven weeks later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back