ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Sep 10, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #3,046 of 6,760
My Aeolus came with the suede pads fitted on the headphone when it arrived. So satisfied with the sound that I had never bothered to try pad rolling.

Last weekend; for the fun of it; I changed to the stock pads and I was amazed with the pouchier sound. Definitely more volume in bass slam and transients were snappier. However, I found that somehow the “mids magic” was very much reduced. I realized I missed the smoothness, coherence and wider soundstage of the suede pads. It goes without saying that I had since swopped back to the suede pads. Sometimes, we get to appreciate more of something only when we lose it.

Interesting to read your post today. The other night I switched my Aeolus from the Verite pads (which give the most neutral sound, but still musical & fun) back to my favorite pads--the perforated universe suedes. As soon as I put them on my head I heard that "midrange magic" you speak of--larger, more spacious & luminous midrange sound. Also a bit more bass slam.

I like the Verite pads a lot on the Aeolus--but the suedes are on another planet sonically. Words fail me with this headphone: somehow the sound sparkles, yet it isn't bright at all. It's a killer sound.

And BTW, I get great sound with all 7 of my amps. The Aeolus does scale up with bigger/more powerful amps, but isn't at all amp-picky.

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #3,047 of 6,760
Interesting to read your post today. The other night I switched my Aeolus from the Verite pads (which give the most neutral sound, but still musical & fun) back to my favorite pads--the perforated universe suedes. As soon as I put them on my head I heard that "midrange magic" you speak of--larger, more spacious & luminous midrange sound. Also a bit more bass slam.

I like the Verite pads a lot on the Aeolus--but the suedes are on another planet sonically. Words fail me with this headphone: somehow the sound sparkles, yet it isn't bright at all. It's a killer sound.

And BTW, I get great sound with all 7 of my amps. The Aeolus does scale up with bigger/more powerful amps, but isn't at all amp-picky.
The beauty of Aeolus with the multiple options on pads gives us the ability to dial up or down the bass slam and move along the warm to neutral continuum depending on one’s liking. That said, the sweet spot for many of us seems to sit with the suede pad: without a doubt. The land of audio nirvana.

Am currently very happy with how the Aeolus sound coming from my SS amp, V280. Guess my next sonic adventure is perhaps to introduce a tube amp to the mix as I read that ZMF headphones have great synergies with tubes. The Feliks Echo seems like a good place to start.

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #3,048 of 6,760
ZMF high impedance dynamics play really well w/OTLs. I'll bet Aeolus + Echo would be a phenomenal pairing.

OTLs bring out a calm, locked-in sound on high impedance dynamics. I've heard this on my Woo WA3 (humble but good sounding) w/the Eikon, Aeolus, VO & VC. This impedance synergy is a bit hard to describe but pretty easy to hear.

I also heard the Aeolus (@jinxy245's) on a powerful transformer-coupled amp (Woo WA22)--the sound was ravishing, beautiful. There's just something about tubes...

PS: I often hear my Aeolus on the V281, which should sound nearly identical to your V280...a wonderful combination (the V281 sounds great on every headphone).

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #3,049 of 6,760
People normally listen to music while exercising. I now have to exercise (my neck) so I can hear to music on the Aeolus without feeling pain a few hours later.
Really wish I could keep the bottom end of the leather pads while using the universe perf. suede. @AudioPowerHead I think my next audio endeavor will be with Feliks Audio as well, but I'm considering the Euphoria instead.

Btw, is it just mine, or does everyone with the Sapele wood noticed that the wood looks completely different than the one on ZMF's website? I really didn't want to go with Sapele because online it didn't look good to me, but the extra $300 was a tough pillow to swallow. Surprised I was when the real thing looked completely different (for the better).

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #3,050 of 6,760
Congrats on the Aeolus! I too love the universe suede but find myself missing some of the weight of the lower end the stock pads offer. I found the hybrid universe pads retain some of that bottom end in my experience (not ALL of it, but a lot of it). They are suede on the part that touches your head and leather everywhere else.

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #3,051 of 6,760
Congrats on the Aeolus! I too love the universe suede but find myself missing some of the weight of the lower end the stock pads offer. I found the hybrid universe pads retain some of that bottom end in my experience (not ALL of it, but a lot of it). They are suede on the part that touches your head and leather everywhere else.

I though about getting more pads, but it would be too much having more than 2 right of the bat. One of the leather pads doesn't have much of the elevated cushion part on the back and it was hurting my ears like crazy (I set up the headband to put just enough pressure to keep it on my head, I just have crazy sensitive ears). The suede already quite satisfies me, so I'll be on my merry way with it for now :p

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #3,052 of 6,760
Btw, is it just mine, or does everyone with the Sapele wood noticed that the wood looks completely different than the one on ZMF's website? I really didn't want to go with Sapele because online it didn't look good to me, but the extra $300 was a tough pillow to swallow. Surprised I was when the real thing looked completely different (for the better).

The chatoyance of the wood is hard to capture in photos, so I would agree that the Sapele looks much better in person than online. The overall color/shading of the wood is similar between mine and the photos on the website, but it's just much prettier to look at (and move around in the light) in person.

Sep 14, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #3,053 of 6,760
I mentioned about the colour differences but didn't post any pictures, lol.

Attachments

• Aeolus1.jpg
    Aeolus1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Aeolus2.jpg
    Aeolus2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Sep 14, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #3,054 of 6,760
People normally listen to music while exercising. I now have to exercise (my neck) so I can hear to music on the Aeolus without feeling pain a few hours later.
Really wish I could keep the bottom end of the leather pads while using the universe perf. suede. @AudioPowerHead I think my next audio endeavor will be with Feliks Audio as well, but I'm considering the Euphoria instead.

Definitely noticed that. It's really difficult capturing any of my ZMFs accurately in pics. They also change so much throughout the day as the light changes. The Sapele has a really understated elegance.

Sep 17, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #3,055 of 6,760
Just got my Aeolus in today and the words that come to mind are “Laid back, airy Atticus” The mids are quite nice but are laid back enough and less lush than the Atticus. The midbass has been made more laid back so your head is not ready to come off but I’m really enjoying listening to Hip Hop and EDM on these like Ethereal Universe, Mad Mouse, and Logic. The treble is open just enough so that you can get some air but you still definitely feel that warm blanket feeling that protects you from any sibilance. Normally over processed music is handled just as well here as it was on the Atticus.

When I’m listening to these I basically say “Technicalities? What?” You forget all about the audiophile terms you’re constantly looking for in headphones and just relax with its warm, yet balanced sound. These are seductive but without getting carried away. They also don’t lull you to sleep. I found the Auteurs a little too polite (Teak) and the mids on those were a lot more laid back but a bit sweeter. You do miss some mid detail as compared to the Auteurs but I find these more engaging because they’re more forward than them.

Lastly, these pair great with the Liquid Platinum. What a great pairing for not a lot of money! The laid back, bassy sound of the LP really compliments the characteristics of this can. You can blow your head off with a good SS amp or the right tube combination if that’s what you prefer but this combo is incredibly seductive and nice to relax too with some Buffalo Trace to wind down the day.

I’ll give them more time but they basically give me enough detail that I got from the Aryas or LCD 3 without going too far in that direction. They do so much right that technicalities become a second thought. So far I really love these cans. Easy to recommend even on the first few listens.

I do 3D printing so I’m contemplating making my own custom grill for these. I’m scared it may affect the sound but I would love to make one that represents what they are which basically translates to “the wind” which is fitting since they give some needed air to the Atticus.

Speaking of which, the Atticus with suede pads to me still sound distinct but similar enough to the Aeolus that I don’t know if I would keep both if I had them. The Atticus seems to have a blacker background (probably because the lack of air in the 5-6k region forces you to pay attention to other parts of the frequency response). The suede pads may help the Atticus achieve just a slight bit more detail but the Aeolus still bests in this department with it’s stock pads. I have no doubt the hybrid or suede pads would also contribute to that as well.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #3,056 of 6,760
Just got my Aeolus in today and the words that come to mind are “Laid back, airy Atticus” The mids are quite nice but are laid back enough and less lush than the Atticus. The midbass has been made more laid back so your head is not ready to come off but I’m really enjoying listening to Hip Hop and EDM on these like Ethereal Universe, Mad Mouse, and Logic. The treble is open just enough so that you can get some air but you still definitely feel that warm blanket feeling that protects you from any sibilance. Normally over processed music is handled just as well here as it was on the Atticus.

When I’m listening to these I basically say “Technicalities? What?” You forget all about the audiophile terms you’re constantly looking for in headphones and just relax with its warm, yet balanced sound. These are seductive but without getting carried away. They also don’t lull you to sleep. I found the Auteurs a little too polite (Teak) and the mids on those were a lot more laid back but a bit sweeter. You do miss some mid detail as compared to the Auteurs but I find these more engaging because they’re more forward than them.

Lastly, these pair great with the Liquid Platinum. What a great pairing for not a lot of money! The laid back, bassy sound of the LP really compliments the characteristics of this can. You can blow your head off with a good SS amp or the right tube combination if that’s what you prefer but this combo is incredibly seductive and nice to relax too with some Buffalo Trace to wind down the day.

I’ll give them more time but they basically give me enough detail that I got from the Aryas or LCD 3 without going too far in that direction. They do so much right that technicalities become a second thought. So far I really love these cans. Easy to recommend even on the first few listens.

I do 3D printing so I’m contemplating making my own custom grill for these. I’m scared it may affect the sound but I would love to make one that represents what they are which basically translates to “the wind” which is fitting since they give some needed air to the Atticus.

Speaking of which, the Atticus with suede pads to me still sound distinct but similar enough to the Aeolus that I don’t know if I would keep both if I had them. The Atticus seems to have a blacker background (probably because the lack of air in the 5-6k region forces you to pay attention to other parts of the frequency response). The suede pads may help the Atticus achieve just a slight bit more detail but the Aeolus still bests in this department with it’s stock pads. I have no doubt the hybrid or suede pads would also contribute to that as well.
I was under the impression the Autuer's mids are more forward than Aeolus so I was surprised to read that.

Sep 18, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #3,057 of 6,760
I was under the impression the Autuer's mids are more forward than Aeolus so I was surprised to read that.

Depends on the wood actually. If it’s a harder wood like Blackwood then yes. If it’s silk wood or the stock wood then no. Auteur borrows from the Eikon which had more recessed upper mids compared to the Atticus so the two characteristics carry over. Auteur has very sweet mids - definitely a great pairing with a full OTL amp.

Sep 18, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #3,058 of 6,760
When I’m listening to these I basically say “Technicalities? What?” You forget all about the audiophile terms you’re constantly looking for in headphones and just relax with its warm, yet balanced sound. These are seductive but without getting carried away.

Lastly, these pair great with the Liquid Platinum. What a great pairing for not a lot of money!

Well said. The Aeolus is one of my absolute favorite headphones and the pairing with the Liquid Platinum is a match made in heaven. The Woo Audio WA3 is a superb combo also.

Sep 18, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #3,059 of 6,760
Well said. The Aeolus is one of my absolute favorite headphones and the pairing with the Liquid Platinum is a match made in heaven. The Woo Audio WA3 is a superb combo also.

If there is a bad combination between the Aeolus and an amp, I haven't found it. That said, technicalities with the Aeolus can be there if you want/need them. But they are really good at making music sound enjoyable rather than just showing off how good technicalities can get.

Sep 18, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #3,060 of 6,760

+1 re Woo WA3...an excellent little amp.

I'm currently obsessing over Monoprice's launch of the Liquid Gold X, based on my very positive experiences w/the Liquid Carbon v2 (which the Aeolus sounds great on--like all my amps).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back