ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jul 17, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #2,911 of 6,740
It's a bit more matte in person. The lacquer adds depth to the wood and makes it pop. To me, it's perfect.
Yep, nothing wrong with a little shine. :wink: All my ZMF's (Cocobolo, Sapele, and Ormosia Henryi) have a beautiful sheen to them, and can only really be appreciated in person. Zach sure knows how to make the wood look amazing no matter the type of wood or finish, no doubt!

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #2,912 of 6,740
Just came in from fedex today. Looks absolutely amazing. Mind officially blown.

20200719_111502.jpg
20200719_105746.jpg

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #2,913 of 6,740
those are lovely! congrats and enjoy them!!

Jul 20, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #2,917 of 6,740
Jul 20, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #2,918 of 6,740
Last year I sold my Blackwood Aeolus to partially fund my Verite purchase.

When Zach announced the new ltd runs last month I knew I wouldnt be able to hold out. The cocobolo is so gorgeous I just couldn’t resist! Excited to get Aeolus back on my head.

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #2,919 of 6,740
Haven't checked in a while. I bought my Aeolus a year ago and have been very happy with them ever since. One of the few good things about the pandemic causing me to spend more time inside is how it gives me more time to relax and spend time listening to them. In fact so happy that I spent most of my time and money looking for music instead of gear!

Has anyone tried these with one of the ECP amps? T4 maybe? They look nice and actually pretty attainable/available compared to some other options.

Jul 20, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #2,920 of 6,740
Last year I sold my Blackwood Aeolus to partially fund my Verite purchase.

When Zach announced the new ltd runs last month I knew I wouldnt be able to hold out. The cocobolo is so gorgeous I just couldn’t resist! Excited to get Aeolus back on my head.
What do you miss most from the Aeolus; in terms of sound; vs Verite?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #2,921 of 6,740
What do you miss most from the Aeolus; in terms of sound; vs Verite?
Aeolus is more laid back for me. Verite/VC are straight up beasts, They're extremely capable, fast, detailed, intimate, engaging, among other things. Its an amazing experience, and its intense. I can listen to them for hours, and its quite a ride, but sometimes you just want to chill. Its nice to have something less fatiguing for more casual listening. Aeolus is straight up fun, with a mid-bass hump that adds some punch. It fills a hole in my listening experience that was revealed to me after only owning and listening to Verite for a while. Hope that makes it clear.

I picked up an LCD-2.1 pre-fazor a couple weeks ago. It temporarily filling my "laid back" headphone role. I was told this was a unicorn pair by its previous owner and he was right. It sounds ****ing fantastic for its value, and has an amazing signature. I'll probably end up selling it once Aeolus is ready.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #2,922 of 6,740
Aeolus is more laid back for me. Verite/VC are straight up beasts, They're extremely capable, fast, detailed, intimate, engaging, among other things. Its an amazing experience, and its intense. I can listen to them for hours and hours and be in heaven, but I realized after some time that I also wanted something perhaps less fatiguing for more casual listening. Aeolus is straight up fun, with a mid-bass hump that adds some punch. It fills a hole in my listening experience that was revealed to me after only owning and listening to Verite for a while. Hope that makes it clear.

I picked up an LCD-2.1 pre-fazor a couple weeks ago. It temporarily filling my "laid back" headphone role. I was told this was a unicorn pair by its previous owner and he was right. It sounds ****ing fantastic for its value, and has an amazing signature. I'll probably end up selling it once Aeolus is ready.
Thanks for sharing.

I am very happy with my Aeolus so far. Love it’s laid back sound signature; quite similar to the HD650. Very lush, fun and engaging. This could in fact be my end game hp. Just wondering if I should also get a TOTL hp like the Verite.

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #2,923 of 6,740
Thanks for sharing.

I am very happy with my Aeolus so far. Love it’s laid back sound signature; quite similar to the HD650. Very lush, fun and engaging. This could in fact be my end game hp. Just wondering if I should also get a TOTL hp like the Verite.
Aeolus can easily be an endgame headphone. The Verite is an amazing experience, but it doesn't do everything better than the Aeolus. Neither does the Auteur. They all have different strengths, and capabilities. If I had to pick one of the ZMF opens to hang on to, it would be my Aeolus because it's just so versatile and the tone is great. The timbre (to my ears) is the best of the open ZMFs.

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #2,924 of 6,740
Your review is excellent: comprehensive, logically presented, and very perceptive re these 2 headphones (Aeolus & HD6XX). I found myself nodding in agreement often.

Perhaps the best feature of the review IMO is your decision to compare these 2 particular headphones, which are about as different as 2 high impedance open-back dynamics can be. I'm lucky to own a JAR650, an HD650 heavily & creatively modified by Jupiter Audio Research to ameliorate the same flaws you mention: bass that resolves less than mids & treble; subtle sense of congestion & veil; overall lower resolution than some other designs. The JAR650 improves these aspects with significantly better, more tuneful bass; improved dynamics; clearly more resolving & dynamic treble, and the same musical midrange.

I've compared the JAR650 at length to the ZMF Aeolus (mine is blackwood). Interestingly, despite the clear improvements in JAR650 vs stock HD650, there remains a great divergence in their sound:
  • Greater overall resolution & detail on the Aeolus (this headphone doesn't get nearly enough credit for resolution)
  • Obviously better bass, with more depth & impact, on Aeolus
  • And more expansive, resolving, dimensional soundstage for Aeolus
Despite its quite effective mods vs the stock HD650, the JAR650 is still somewhat less dynamic, resolving & engaging than the Aeolus. IMO the JAR650 sounds its best used at moderate volume to "monitor" music; headbangers need not apply. It's a clear, engaging window into music, with precise, intimate soundstage and one of the best midranges around. But the Aeolus is simply bigger, stronger, and way more fun. It has seemingly endless headroom/power & scales like mad with music having deep bass, strong rhythm/percussion content and dynamics. Yet the Aeolus also delights on the most intimate & nuanced classical music.

I suspect that years in the future, people will describe the Aeolus in terms that mirror the way we now regard the HD650: a reference design, affordable in its class, standing apart from competing designs when launched and possessing real staying power in the headphone marketplace--a headphone you must hear if you love headphone audio & music in general.

Thank you Pharmaboy! I agree I really love them too.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 21, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #2,925 of 6,740
Whoa, a great material! Very nice work with lights, sound and everything. Top shelf content in 100%, congrats!

Thank you iFi Audio working to get more of your gear in for review soon. I will have to review my IDSD Micro Black Label soon, my desert island 🏝 amp/Dac!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back