ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jul 21, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #2,926 of 6,741
Aeolus can easily be an endgame headphone. The Verite is an amazing experience, but it doesn't do everything better than the Aeolus. Neither does the Auteur. They all have different strengths, and capabilities. If I had to pick one of the ZMF opens to hang on to, it would be my Aeolus because it's just so versatile and the tone is great. The timbre (to my ears) is the best of the open ZMFs.
Yes indeed. The timbre in Aeolus is very lifelike. This is a key attribute often not given enough weightage in choosing a headphone ( relative to resolution, details, soundstage/imaging, etc). Talking about versatility, I have yet to try pad rolling on Aeolus, that should be another fun thing to do in further personalizing the sound (as shared by others in this thread).

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #2,927 of 6,741
Aeolus is more laid back for me. Verite/VC are straight up beasts, They're extremely capable, fast, detailed, intimate, engaging, among other things. Its an amazing experience, and its intense. I can listen to them for hours, and its quite a ride, but sometimes you just want to chill. Its nice to have something less fatiguing for more casual listening. Aeolus is straight up fun, with a mid-bass hump that adds some punch. It fills a hole in my listening experience that was revealed to me after only owning and listening to Verite for a while. Hope that makes it clear.

I picked up an LCD-2.1 pre-fazor a couple weeks ago. It temporarily filling my "laid back" headphone role. I was told this was a unicorn pair by its previous owner and he was right. It sounds ****ing fantastic for its value, and has an amazing signature. I'll probably end up selling it once Aeolus is ready.

Used to had Aeolus, I agree that headphone really produce silky smooth and relax sound.

However, now Verite beautifully fit the role with the BE2 pad :o2smile:

For Aeolus, the only pad that I like is Verite pad. The other pad sound too distant and soft for me.

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #2,928 of 6,741
Used to had Aeolus, I agree that headphone really produce silky smooth and relax sound.

However, now Verite beautifully fit the role with the BE2 pad :o2smile:

For Aeolus, the only pad that I like is Verite pad. The other pad sound too distant and soft for me.

When I visited ZMF last year, one of the things I tried was listening to the Aeolus with Verite pads and listening to the Verite with the Aeolus pads. In the latter case, I'm not sure whether this was the lambskin pads that come with the Aeolus or the Universe lambskin, but I don't think those 2 pads are tremendously different. Zach actually did an in-person tutorial for me on how to change the pads and the example he used was switching to the Universe pads on the Verite.

In any case, the sense that I got from this (admittedly from limited listening time) was that the pads pushed the sound of each headphone in the direction of the other headphone. So the Verite with Universe lambskin sounded more Aeolus-like and the Aeolus with Verite pads sounded more Verite-like. Now I'm not saying that you can turn an Aeolus into a Verite just by using pads (you can't replicate the faster driver of the Verite) but the overall signature is what was changing. I thought this was interesting, but didn't really trust my opinions from that relatively short test. The descriptions that people give of similar experiments (like yours and others from this thread) is at least consistent with what I thought.

I need to order some Verite pads for the Aeolus to try this again.

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #2,929 of 6,741
When I visited ZMF last year, one of the things I tried was listening to the Aeolus with Verite pads and listening to the Verite with the Aeolus pads. In the latter case, I'm not sure whether this was the lambskin pads that come with the Aeolus or the Universe lambskin, but I don't think those 2 pads are tremendously different. Zach actually did an in-person tutorial for me on how to change the pads and the example he used was switching to the Universe pads on the Verite.

In any case, the sense that I got from this (admittedly from limited listening time) was that the pads pushed the sound of each headphone in the direction of the other headphone. So the Verite with Universe lambskin sounded more Aeolus-like and the Aeolus with Verite pads sounded more Verite-like. Now I'm not saying that you can turn an Aeolus into a Verite just by using pads (you can't replicate the faster driver of the Verite) but the overall signature is what was changing. I thought this was interesting, but didn't really trust my opinions from that relatively short test. The descriptions that people give of similar experiments (like yours and others from this thread) is at least consistent with what I thought.

I need to order some Verite pads for the Aeolus to try this again.

Pad swap indeed able to alter the sound drastically due to work like an acoustic room for the drivers.

Same happen when we swap focal elear and focal utopia pads to each other. Elear's tonality will closer to Utopia (leaner sound with brighter high) and vice versa (additional bass boom in utopia).

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #2,930 of 6,741
Thank you iFi Audio working to get more of your gear in for review soon. I will have to review my IDSD Micro Black Label soon, my desert island 🏝 amp/Dac!

Thanks! I look forward to your next vids and your channel gained several new visitors :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 21, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #2,931 of 6,741
My blackwood Aeolus came with perforated suede universe pads installed, as I'd requested. After months spent enjoying this headphone to no end, I just swapped out the suedes for Verite pads.

Damn, the sound is amazing! Just as I remember from past experience w/these pads, this is the most "neutral" the Aeolus can get, with more apparent clarity & resolution in the upper mids & treble, flatter mid-bass, plus the same great midrange & soundstaging.

The resolution & tonality may be somewhat different w/Verite pads, but the Aeolus fun-factor remains sky-high...this headphone never fails to put a smile on my face. I am loving this sound.

Jul 21, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #2,932 of 6,741
My blackwood Aeolus came with perforated suede universe pads installed, as I'd requested. After months spent enjoying this headphone to no end, I just swapped out the suedes for Verite pads.

Damn, the sound is amazing! Just as I remember from past experience w/these pads, this is the most "neutral" the Aeolus can get, with more apparent clarity & resolution in the upper mids & treble, flatter mid-bass, plus the same great midrange & soundstaging.

The resolution & tonality may be somewhat different w/Verite pads, but the Aeolus fun-factor remains sky-high...this headphone never fails to put a smile on my face. I am loving this sound.

I ordered Verite pads from ZMF earlier today. Should be interesting. Currently I have the perforated suede on the Aeolus. And those have only been on for a few weeks. Prior to that it was perforated lambskin for about 9 months.

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #2,933 of 6,741

Agree on everything but would add since the Verite pads are not very deep they are much less comfortable compared to the Universe Suede after a certain period.

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #2,935 of 6,741
Agree on everything but would add since the Verite pads are not very deep they are much less comfortable compared to the Universe Suede after a certain period.

That's true. Thanks for bringing up it up. For anyone who listens for extended periods, this pad comfort factor might loom large.

The universe suedes are deeper & IMO are extremely comfortable, among the most comfortable pads I've ever worn. It doesn't hurt that the suedes' sound on the Aeolus is also superlative.

Regardless, I'm enjoying my little sonic holiday with the Verite pads.

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #2,936 of 6,741

Comfort is definitely important. I've been spending quite a bit of time lately with the HD650, because it's on a level I haven't heard from it when it's running off Hugo2 into the GOTL. But the pads are fairly stiff, and the clamp force doesn't help (I haven't bent mine). Tonight after about 1.5 hours with the 650, I put on the Aeolus with the perforated suede. It was like laying on a new pillow.

Somewhat related to this, I thought when I first got the Aeolus that it was like a super-HD650 (how many headphones have that label?). Meaning in sound, not comfort. The more time I've spent with the Aeolus, the more it's become obvious that they are actually very different. I am a big fan of both, but I can see where people might like one and not the other.

Jul 22, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #2,937 of 6,741
Comfort is definitely important. I've been spending quite a bit of time lately with the HD650, because it's on a level I haven't heard from it when it's running off Hugo2 into the GOTL. But the pads are fairly stiff, and the clamp force doesn't help (I haven't bent mine). Tonight after about 1.5 hours with the 650, I put on the Aeolus with the perforated suede. It was like laying on a new pillow.

Somewhat related to this, I thought when I first got the Aeolus that it was like a super-HD650 (how many headphones have that label?). Meaning in sound, not comfort. The more time I've spent with the Aeolus, the more it's become obvious that they are actually very different. I am a big fan of both, but I can see where people might like one and not the other.
For the HD650, you may want to consider replacing with the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads, they are very comfy and improves slightly on the soundstage and imaging. Clamp force can be reduced by stretching them using some hard cover books. For sure, HD650 scales with better gear; I experienced it 1st hand when I upgraded to Violectric V850/280 late last year.

I own both Aeolus and HD650. Indeed the Aeolus is super comfy (esp. with the perforated suede pads). Sound-wise, I still like both as they share fairly similar signature however Aeolus has relatively a richer and captivating overall sound which I like very much. That said, for vocals-heavy tracks, I would sometimes switch to HD650 as the Aeolus is relatively less forward in the mids. Just my personal impressions, YMMV.

Jul 22, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #2,938 of 6,741
Something awful just happened in my family that will probably force me to sell the Aeolus and the cables. It's a pretty rotten feeling. I just got the suede strap, too.

Sorry to hear that. I didn't know that there's a suede strap - does anybody know if ZMF sells that separately? That would be a nice thing to have for summer.

Jul 22, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #2,939 of 6,741
Sorry to hear that. I didn't know that there's a suede strap - does anybody know if ZMF sells that separately? That would be a nice thing to have for summer.
They do, and it's comfortable as all get out. They have the strap and headband each, available in suede. I have full suede on my Aeolus and full leather on my Atticus, and like them both equally. Funny thing is, the suede is hotter for me than the leather, and I start sweating much faster with the suede.

Jul 22, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #2,940 of 6,741
They do, and it's comfortable as all get out. They have the strap and headband each, available in suede. I have full suede on my Aeolus and full leather on my Atticus, and like them both equally. Funny thing is, the suede is hotter for me than the leather, and I start sweating much faster with the suede.

I find the same thing with the suede earpads - they seem to get hot much faster than the leather ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back