ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jul 22, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #2,941 of 6,741
I find the same thing with the suede earpads - they seem to get hot much faster than the leather ones.
Same here. I always find it interesting when people say that want to get some suede pads for cooler listening in the heat of the summer, as I have had quite the opposite experience.

Jul 22, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #2,942 of 6,741
I find the same thing with the suede earpads - they seem to get hot much faster than the leather ones.

Agreed. They do get hot faster. In Texas in the summer, that means you need to keep the air conditioning going full speed ahead. But then you can hear the AC through open back headphones :disappointed:. Maybe that is the justification I need to get a Verite Closed :relaxed:.

Jul 22, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #2,943 of 6,741
Agreed. They do get hot faster. In Texas in the summer, that means you need to keep the air conditioning going full speed ahead. But then you can hear the AC through open back headphones :disappointed:. Maybe that is the justification I need to get a Verite Closed :relaxed:.
Or an Atticus, like I did. :wink:

Jul 22, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #2,944 of 6,741
Or an Atticus, like I did. :wink:

I noticed you got the Atticus. Smart move.

It's not really just the AC, but I've set up some small USB fans next to the GOTL to keep the amp cool and I can really only have those on low-medium, otherwise the noise is too audible. Unfortunately, one of my favorite power tube combos in that amp are four 6080's. You can imagine what that does to the temperature of the amp, and the air around it. Thus the fans.

Like I have said before, nobody should feel sorry for my first-world problems. If this is my biggest complaint today, my life could by much much worse.

Jul 22, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #2,945 of 6,741
I noticed you got the Atticus. Smart move.

It's not really just the AC, but I've set up some small USB fans next to the GOTL to keep the amp cool and I can really only have those on low-medium, otherwise the noise is too audible. Unfortunately, one of my favorite power tube combos in that amp are four 6080's. You can imagine what that does to the temperature of the amp, and the air around it. Thus the fans.

Like I have said before, nobody should feel sorry for my first-world problems. If this is my biggest complaint today, my life could by much much worse.
The Atticus is killer, and I like it just as much as my Aeolus, no doubt. Nothing like first-world problems, and I can only imagine how hot 4 6080's get, as my single Bendix 6080WB gets quite hot on it's own.

Jul 22, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #2,946 of 6,741
The Atticus is killer, and I like it just as much as my Aeolus, no doubt. Nothing like first-world problems, and I can only imagine how hot 4 6080's get, as my single Bendix 6080WB gets quite hot on it's own.

That quad of 6080's could probably heat your house, all the way from my house!!!

Seriously though, you certainly don't need 4 of them to get the Aeolus (or any ZMF) to sound awesome. The Crack or Woo WA3 is evidence of that. But it is fun to combine pairs of 6080's from different brands, like a pair of Sylvania and a pair of RCA, to blend their sounds. For an expensive option, you could use a pair of GEC's and a pair of Bendix (I don't have either). A slightly cooler temperature option is a pair of 6080's and a pair of 6AS7G's (or even cooler, just 4 6AS7G's). Endless fun.

I've only heard the Atticus once, and only for a few minutes. It was enough to know I could really enjoy it. You have a nice ZMF duo there (or I guess I should say trio).

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #2,947 of 6,741
Something awful just happened in my family that will probably force me to sell the Aeolus and the cables. It's a pretty rotten feeling. I just got the suede strap, too.

Very sorry to hear this. Hope you & your family are OK.

Headphones are secondary...family is primary.

Jul 22, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #2,948 of 6,741
Something awful just happened in my family that will probably force me to sell the Aeolus and the cables. It's a pretty rotten feeling. I just got the suede strap, too.
Sorry to hear that man! My thoughts are with you and your family.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #2,949 of 6,741
Totally off topic, but check out the wood on these, I've had them for almost 20 years

IMG_2916.JPGIMG_2917.JPG

Which wood do you think has better timbre and decay? Maybe the burl?

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #2,952 of 6,741
All I can say is that I need to do some comparisons between the woods, determining how they open multiple bottles, repeated frequently, until I have a clear impression of the differences :relaxed:. I'll start in about 2 hours.
A noble undertaking. I anticipate this journey may take you years, perhaps a lifetime. Godspeed, and keep us updated.

Jul 24, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #2,954 of 6,741
When listening to corkscrews, best to keep the pointy end pointing away from the eardrum...

Thanks.

My Aeolus are Sapele, and all of you know what the Sapele Aeolus looks like. This was really the best I could do for some unusual burl wood photos.

Maybe I can ask Zach if he can make a set of headphones to match the corkscrew? The burl one is thuya wood, the other one is olive. Or I just go with camphor burl and call it close enough.

Jul 24, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #2,955 of 6,741
Totally off topic, but check out the wood on these, I've had them for almost 20 years

IMG_2916.JPGIMG_2917.JPG

Which wood do you think has better timbre and decay? Maybe the burl?
Stop (cork)screwing around & get back to talking about the Aeolus!
(OK I'll just see myself out now...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back