ZMF Aegis Official Thread
Apr 30, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #107 of 532
You might find that the differences are much more noticeable when rolling output tubes of different types entirely. Given it is a cathode follower output stage, differences in tube transconductance are going to have the largest impact, which will vary pretty significantly between tube types but not so much between tube brands/makes if that makes sense.

Yeah, I find that different tube types often make a significant difference. It's been cool being able to run 6V6s, 6L6GC, EL34, KT66 and KT88s in the same amp without having bias concerns.

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #108 of 532
Yeah, I find that different tube types often make a significant difference. It's been cool being able to run 6V6s, 6L6GC, EL34, KT66 and KT88s in the same amp without having bias concerns.
Have you settled on a favourite?

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #109 of 532
Have you settled on a favourite?

What day of the week is it?

I find I use the RCA 5691s most in the 6SL7 position of my pre-production Aegis. I have a pair of Brimar 6SL7s in my DIY build.

For the power tubes, I think my favorites so far are the GEC KT66 and the 2nd gen Tung-Sol 6550, but there are a bunch of others that I really like in there as well.

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #110 of 532
I actually follow every tube amp thread, and have been making a list of tubes to try. I am a tube rolling fanatic, so it will happen. :grin:

These are good (budget friendly). 6p6s and 6n9s
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 22.52.31.png
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 22.56.18.png

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #111 of 532
Apr 30, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #112 of 532
I concur 100%. This amp is very special.
It's not going to be easy to explain why it's so special, even though my ears clearly tell me it is.

We talk about the benefits & shortcomings of tubes vs SS. But the more I listen to the Aegis, the less all that applies. Example: the bass reproduction of the Aegis is exceptional. The "pretty good for a tube amp" label doesn't apply; this bass is competitive with any amp. One item on my to-do list (if I have the loaner long enough) is to compare Aegis bass to my best SS amps.

After a week of listening, I've been mentally applying a term to this amp that's intended 100% as praise: "clarity cannon." How could a "clarity cannon" be anything but bright, edgy, tipped up, overly sharp? Well, this amp serves up great clarity and resolution, yet is NOT any of those things. This is resolution that's effortless, seamless, organic, and smooth (proof of the wisdom of Keenan's design choices).

Of course there's more here than clarity and resolution, but those are the things that first grabbed my attention and continue to hold it. This amp = "neutrality" + soul.

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #113 of 532
It's not going to be easy to explain why it's so special, even though my ears clearly tell me it is.

We talk about the benefits & shortcomings of tubes vs SS. But the more I listen to the Aegis, the less all that applies. Example: the bass reproduction of the Aegis is exceptional. The "pretty good for a tube amp" label doesn't apply; this bass is competitive with any amp. One item on my to-do list (if I have the loaner long enough) is to compare Aegis bass to my best SS amps.

After a week of listening, I've been mentally applying a term to this amp that's intended 100% as praise: "clarity cannon." How could a "clarity cannon" be anything but bright, edgy, tipped up, overly sharp? Well, this amp serves up great clarity and resolution, yet is NOT any of those things. This is resolution that's effortless, seamless, organic, and smooth (proof of the wisdom of Keenan's design choices).

Of course there's more here than clarity and resolution, but those are the things that first grabbed my attention and continue to hold it. This amp = "neutrality" + soul.
Amen brother!

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #114 of 532

Just curious, do you find yourself using different impedance settings? I built the DIY version first and I love it, but I find I use the different impedance settings a lot and possibly the middle setting the most often. On my DIY version, I typically leave it on low because the amp is in my office hifi rack and the switch is in the back (and it doesn't have the middle impedance setting). I have no plans to sell my DIY build, but I find I gravitate towards the production build because of that as well as the different connector options.

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #115 of 532
Just curious, do you find yourself using different impedance settings? I built the DIY version first and I love it, but I find I use the different impedance settings a lot and possibly the middle setting the most often. On my DIY version, I typically leave it on low because the amp is in my office hifi rack and the switch is in the back (and it doesn't have the middle impedance setting). I have no plans to sell my DIY build, but I find I gravitate towards the production build because of that as well as the different connector options.
Interesting, and I too have been digging the 3 impedance settings. I have been going back and forth between low and medium with the CC, and like them both. I like the high impedance setting with my VC's. It is a really nice option to three choices no doubt.

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #116 of 532
Interesting, and I too have been digging the 3 impedance settings. I have been going back and forth between low and medium with the CC, and like them both. I like the high impedance setting with my VC's. It is a really nice option to three choices no doubt.

Yeah, it's not a surprise that the VC (or VO or AO or AC) would work best on the high impedance. I was a bit surprised that I prefer the CC on the medium setting, but there you have it.

Apr 30, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #117 of 532
Just curious, do you find yourself using different impedance settings?
At first I didn't. I used the XLR output on the medium impedance setting & never varied. But after 3 days of that, when Keenan kindly explained the differences between the 1/4" & XLR outputs, and the customization potential of the impedance switch, everything changed. Now I prefer the sound 1/4" output (lower impedance than XLR at all 3 impedance switch settings & keep the impedance switch on "Low."*

There are also any number of combinations of output choice vs impedance setting to dial in one's preferred impedance value.

At least to my ears, different impedance values effect small but real changes in the SQ of the Aegis. IMO this is a real plus of the commercial version of the Aegis design.

* That was on my main system's DAC, the MHDT Labs Orchid w/tube buffer. But in my side system with the Metrum Onyx, the "Med" impedance sounded nearly as good as "Low." Can't explain it--just report it.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #118 of 532
May 1, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #119 of 532
What if I put in all blue sophia electric tubes for the ascetic? Will that improve performance?
Very happy this is going to be a normal production amp. I told myself my next "big" audio purchase will be in 2025.
It will be a hard wait, but I think I'll place the order at 1/1/25 at 12:01AM. I'll wait one minute into the new year. That is pretty good IMO

May 1, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #120 of 532
That's right, it will be manufactured by Cayin. The transformers are custom wound by them to our spec.

Closer to release we will talk specifically about differences between DIY and ZMF. Some to note right away is ZMF has three impedance options (DIY has 2), ZMF also has the capability to use 3A rectifiers (e.g., 5U4 family). Additional output options are included as well - XLR, 1/4", and a 4.4 pentaconn connection with a resistor divider for use with very sensitive IEMs.

In my experience, things like different wire, RCAs, etc have very little impact on the sound of an amplifier. Much more important is the underlying circuit, which is maintained in both amps albeit using different parts. Some Head-Fiers were able to hear both at CanJam NYC, I'll let them speak to it but general feeling was they sound similar / same.
Refreshing to read common sense that changing the internal wiring material has no appreciable effect on sound. It is hard to read posts from DIY enthusiasts who swear that they hear a difference once they use silver wiring in their amps. Clearly that is not even possible. Anyway, just really refreshing to read your honest assessment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back