ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 1, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #136 of 694
It isn't so much a question of driver tubes being more or less powerful, it's a question of driver tube linearity and gain, both of which are better optimized using 6SL7 in this circuit over 12AT7, 12AY7.

I have not used 12AT7 or 12AY7 adapted into Aegis, I believe 1-2 people have tried it in the DIY version. But again, these tubes are likely to generate higher distortion than 6SL7, I would expect the subjective performance to be worse, but still sound good. I cannot say for certain, opinions would vary I'm sure.

Power output would still be sufficient for easy to drive headphones like ZMFs, but likely not enough for the more demanding planars like a Tungsten or Susvara.

Thank you for your expert answer.
So we can agree that 6SL7 is a fixed driver tube for the Aegis and works best that way.
And works better with the diversity of rectifiers and output tubes, of course also with fixed 6SL7 tubes from other manufacturers of this tube type
I alluded to the idea because my amplifier and those who have it work a little differently.
And because something was said about it in the previous reports, I wasn't sure how the Aegis works and wanted to ask before I started something that wasn't right.
So it's better not to pursue it any further or mislead people.
In fact, the amp I have here is more versatile in terms of driver tubes, not just output tubes.
And can use a whole bandwidth and it not only works, but can determine a lot of where it should go.
Still, I think the Aegis has a well-designed concept that people will get into.
Looking forward to reading more about the Zmf version and the Diy soon.

May 2, 2024 at 12:44 AM Post #137 of 694
Will this beauty ship in a customized Seahorse case similar to ZMF headphones?

May 2, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #138 of 694
It'll come in a heavy duty cardboard box with custom shaped foam similar to cayin products since it's coming from their factory as they are our OEM.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 2, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #139 of 694
Here is the packaging, and just like Zach mentioned, it is similar Cayin style and pretty much just like how my HA300MK2 came as well. I think the packaging is as good as it can be.

1000005139.jpg

1000005140.jpg

1000005142.jpg

1000005145.jpg

1000005153.jpg

1000005157.jpg

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #140 of 694
Here is the packaging, and just like Zach mentioned, it is similar Cayin style and pretty much just like how my HA300MK2 came as well. I think the packaging is as good as it can be.

1000005139.jpg
1000005140.jpg
1000005142.jpg
1000005145.jpg
1000005153.jpg
1000005157.jpg
No Seahorse case, but that does look to be packaged very well!

May 2, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #141 of 694
6SL7 is a great tube. Some of my favorites

The legendary RCA 5691
Brimar CV1985
Mullard ECC35
Ken Rad silver plates from the 1950's
Tung-Sol short bottle from the 1950's

These are all available. The RCAs, Brimars and the Mullards have gotten pricey. But the Kentucky Radios and the Tung-Sols are more reasonable.
Any chance for a picture of the Tung sol? Are they the 6sl7gt variant with black glass and clear top?

I've been trying to get my hands on the famous tungsol 6su7gty and was always left wondering if other tung sol variants are worth collecting (the smoked & black glass, the 6sl7gt ..etc)

May 2, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #142 of 694
Any chance for a picture of the Tung sol? Are they the 6sl7gt variant with black glass and clear top?

I've been trying to get my hands on the famous tungsol 6su7gty and was always left wondering if other tung sol variants are worth collecting (the smoked & black glass, the 6sl7gt ..etc)
From Thomas Mayer's blog.

The first three pictures on this page are the exact Tung-Sol 6SL7 version that I own and love.

http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2016/05/tube-of-month-6sl7.html

May 2, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #144 of 694
I have the 6SUGTY black glass clear top and in my setup it’s probably my second best sounding driver tube, behind Mullard ECC35 short brown base tall bottle.

May 2, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #145 of 694
From Thomas Mayer's blog.

The first three pictures on this page are the exact Tung-Sol 6SL7 version that I own and love.

http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2016/05/tube-of-month-6sl7.html

Wow, this is the first time I've seen these brown micanol 6SL7 with white text!

I have the 6SUGTY black glass clear top and in my setup it’s probably my second best sounding driver tube, behind Mullard ECC35 short brown base tall bottle.

I've been looking out for a reasonable priced 6su7gty pair since I built the Aegis, no luck yet. Currently rotating the Tung-Sol 6SC7GTY and I'm liking the sound ... makes me wonder if the 6su7gty is any better/different and if I should just shell out the buck to Brent Jessee instead of trying to find a cheaper pair on ebay.

May 2, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #146 of 694
Wow, this is the first time I've seen these brown micanol 6SL7 with white text!

I've been looking out for a reasonable priced 6su7gty pair since I built the Aegis, no luck yet. Currently rotating the Tung-Sol 6SC7GTY and I'm liking the sound ... makes me wonder if the 6su7gty is any better/different and if I should just shell out the buck to Brent Jessee instead of trying to find a cheaper pair on ebay.

For me, RCA 5691 and Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY are very close. Do you have the 5691 already? If so, I think you will find the 6SU7GTY is a lateral move. I personally prefer them over the Mullard ECC35 in Aegis, but I haven't compared in a while.

May 2, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #147 of 694
You will see if you hunt for these tubes, you need time and the necessary luck for a good deal.
Some of the tubes in my inventory have taken me 6-9 months or longer to find.
That's part of the game.
My impression of the Ecc35 and 6SL7 gty is that they play very close to each other and have slight subtle differences.
TS tends to play a bit rounder and fuller, while Ecc35 sounds more transparent and open.
I have not yet heard the 5691 as a tube, but I can imagine that it is the warmest of the 3 tubes and again tends more towards a typical US sound.

May 2, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #148 of 694
You will see if you hunt for these tubes, you need time and the necessary luck for a good deal.
Some of the tubes in my inventory have taken me 6-9 months or longer to find.
That's part of the game.
My impression of the Ecc35 and 6SL7 gty is that they play very close to each other and have slight subtle differences.
TS tends to play a bit rounder and fuller, while Ecc35 sounds more transparent and open.
I have not yet heard the 5691 as a tube, but I can imagine that it is the warmest of the 3 tubes and again tends more towards a typical US sound.
When the differences are slight and subtle as you describe, how can you be sure there is even any difference at all? When it is considered that audio memory is extremely imprecise, and it must take at least a moderate amount of time to switch out tubes, wouldn't that introduce a fair amount of confound to the listening impression and comparison?

May 2, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #149 of 694
I’ve always found the secret is not to try and make quick changes between tubes but instead, leave them in for a longer period of time so you become used to the sound they produce… you brain expects things to sound a certain way. Then, when you change the tubes you tend to spot the things that you’ve become accustomed to and are no longer present.

Do this a few times and you just know how they sound and their differences… if you see what I mean.

May 2, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #150 of 694
I’ve always found the secret is not to try and make quick changes between tubes but instead, leave them in for a longer period of time so you become used to the sound they produce… you brain expects things to sound a certain way. Then, when you change the tubes you tend to spot the things that you’ve become accustomed to and are no longer present.

Do this a few times and you just know how they sound and their differences… if you see what I mean.
That's my evaluation method as well, long time periods. You'll expect a certain tone and response, and any deviation from expectation screams for attention. On one of my delirious late night sessions I somehow changed out my power tubes on my Stratus while listening to another amp. No clue why, I honestly have no memory of doing it. But the next time I listened to the Stratus I actually thought it was broken as the sonics were so different. I sat up hard and started checking my Tidal settings and the impedance/gain settings on the amp, trying to figure out what the heck was going on. Finally my eye caught the fact that the usual coke bottle RCA 2A3 tubes magically morphed into the round ACMEs that should have been in my desk drawer hahaha. I had been running the RCAs for months, so I immediately knew something was off when I started listening. Now all my meaningful tube comparisons are done in weeks/months, not rapid swaps or even daily swaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back