ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 24, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #811 of 1,472
I agree the Aegis is super quiet, but my Envy is very quiet too with the headphones I use and the correct gain set.
I feel like saying the Aegis is super quiet is selling it a bit short. I think a better way to put is dead silent. :wink:

May 24, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #814 of 1,472
Looks like Aegis should start shipping to people in the US next week. 230v are ready as well and shipping within a week of purchase from cayin directly.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 24, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #815 of 1,472
Very nice, definitely some great pairings there. I haven't heard the RAD-0 but that's one I've been interested in demoing for a little while.
I only heard the Caldera Open and Closed for like half an hour on the High End in Munich a few weeks ago. My take on that is, that the Caldera is trading blows with the Rad-0. The Caldera is a bit more technical and has a slightly wider soundstage. Where the Rad-0 has bit more warmth and punch vs. the CO.
Biggest problem of the Rad-0 is the headband which create a hotspot on top of your head. The pads however are very soft and you get a good seal. I have read that there is someone here on head-if that is making a fitting leather strap that helps with the comfort tremendously. So the CO and CC felt way more comfortable in comparison.
To choose between them is rather a matter of taste or preference. They are very similar in terms of performance.

May 24, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #816 of 1,472
IMG_0221.jpeg
IMG_0227.jpeg

I was able to sit down for a while (ended up in a 3h listening session) and had the first listen. Switching between the Rad-0 and the Bokeh.
Hell this is so different from what I was used to with Elise. But in a good way.
So much more clarity, tons of detail and that huge soundstage is amazing.
To be fair the Elise is a very warm and romantic OTL 😅
I am very happy and looking forward to rediscover my library.

One mind blowing thing was this one song from Ghost Rider, that I have heard on different headphones, IEM‘s and speaker systems.
https://music.amazon.de/albums/B08P...08P8YGGBG&ref=dm_sh_3KFIlbO5W7TFoXWskNv1A5da8

But never have I heard it that good. Notes are coming from nowhere and everywhere. The base so textured and fast.
It was so addictive.

The Rad-0 has a very good synergy and is very technical, vocals are crazy good. Where it lagged a bit was with Hip-Hop. Here I am missing a bit mid-base. It’s more of a preference thing or type of tubes. There I found the pairing with the Bokeh more to my liking. The Aeolus sits a bit in the middle between the two and has more warmth and is less technical.

I also tested my current favourite IEM the 10th anniversary from Penon. Sounds just perfect. No noise floor. Super coherent between the 3 driver types. It’s like a HP from ZMF just smaller in size. Magical midrange und highly musical.

More headphones to test the coming days and continuing to burn in the tubes.

Thank you @L0rdGwyn and @zach915m for bringing us this much joy and excitement. It’s a very special amp and something different from all the other amps out there.

May 24, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #817 of 1,472

I was able to sit down for a while (ended up in a 3h listening session) and had the first listen. Switching between the Rad-0 and the Bokeh.
Hell this is so different from what I was used to with Elise. But in a good way.

One mind blowing thing was this one song from Ghost Rider, that I have heard on different headphones, IEM‘s and speaker systems.
https://music.amazon.de/albums/B08P...08P8YGGBG&ref=dm_sh_3KFIlbO5W7TFoXWskNv1A5da8

But never have I heard it that good. Notes are coming from nowhere and everywhere. The base so textured and fast.
It was so addictive.

The Rad-0 has a very good synergy and is very technical, vocals are crazy good. Where it lagged a bit was with Hip-Hop. Here I am missing a bit mid-base. It’s more of a preference thing or type of tubes. There I found the pairing with the Bokeh more to my liking. The Aeolus sits a bit in the middle between the two and has more warmth and is less technical.

I also tested my current favourite IEM the 10th anniversary from Penon. Sounds just perfect. No noise floor. Super coherent between the 3 driver types. It’s like a HP from ZMF just smaller in size. Magical midrange und highly musical.

Thank you @L0rdGwyn and @zach915m for bringing us this much joy and excitement. It’s a very special amp and something different from all the other amps out there.

Oh another German who listens to Zmf products, welcome.
And congratulations on the Aegis, you must be one of the first to get it.
Have fun with the Aegis.
Nice to hear it's an upgrade to the Elise.

May 24, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #818 of 1,472
IMG_0221.jpegIMG_0227.jpeg

It was so addictive.

Cool impressions! Just got the Rad-0 actually and have yet to try it or Bokeh on Aegis, this is inspiration to do so...

May 24, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #819 of 1,472
IMG_0221.jpegIMG_0227.jpeg

It was so addictive.

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you're enjoying it. Great pics too. I'll have to look for an opportunity to demo the RAD-0.

May 24, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #822 of 1,472
Thanks for the feedback! Glad you're enjoying it. Great pics too. I'll have to look for an opportunity to demo the RAD-0.
Maybe there is one at the next CanJam. In Munich there was only one at the booth of the HM-1. Sounded also very good on that solid state amp. Not quite as unique though. But to change the soundstage from intimate to wide by the turn of a knob is a cool feature to have I must say.

May 24, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #823 of 1,472
Please let us know how your impressions are. Bokeh is a lot of fun. Have yet to experiment with the pads and meshes.
Will do! Tubes have arrived and the listening has started... :) Starting with Caldera...
IMG_0455.jpg

May 25, 2024 at 6:11 AM Post #825 of 1,472
So, now that I have rolled quite a few tubes in the Aegis, I am learning how incredible this amp really is. I have several really good combos that are equally amazing and sound totally different. This amp responds better to tube changes more than any tube amp I have ever owned. I think due to it being so well balanced, quick, and detailed that one can really take the sound in any direction they want. I can make the stage so huge it will make your head spin, and then I can bring it in and make it so intimate and personal, it can make you cry. I can also pump up the bass so much that I can feel it, or I can really tighten it up and bring it in a bit as well. Same goes for the mids and highs. Responding to tube changes so well, and being so capable it's really like having multiple TOTL amps in one. I will post my favorite combos and tube findings soon, once the rest I have coming arrive.

Spoiler - I will be comparing these two heavy hitter input tubes today. The RCA 5691 Black Plate Square Getters 60' vs. The Reflektor 1579 60'. :grin:

1000005823.jpg

More to come. . .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back