ZiShan U1 HiFi USB DAC+AMP Thread

Would you buy the ZiShan U1?

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #137 of 196
I have now used my U1 for about a month with no particular issue. I use it mainly with a W10 laptop and my Tempotec V1A, driving full-size headphones. Also tested it with my iPhone (with both the Apple camera kit and a generic lightning powered USB hub) and a couple of others PC of various vintages --all work fine with the U1. There a few things I don’t like but nothing major at this price point.

This is my second U1… I had ordered one on AE in June which never showed up… until 3 days ago, after 4 months in transit !!! Surprisingly, the battery was still ~50%, so no need to reset the internal powerbank IC. But that U1 is different… Direct connection to one of the laptop USB works fine (it shows up as “Combo384 Amanero” in W10, same as my other U1), and iPhone connection is also working fine. However, unlike my second U1, it does not connect to the Tempotec V1A, nor my laptop through a powered USB-C hub. I did not spot any hardware difference between the two U1 PCBs, and I suspect Zishan must have tweaked the firmware at some point. I have not seen any firmware update, nor tool to update the firmware on the U1. In the meantime, this could explain some of the confusing and contradictory comments about the U1, whether it connects or not to a particular DAP, phone, or PC USB.

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #138 of 196
Yes, it seems a common issue at Zishan, many different hard and software versions and no documentation or information. Same with the H1 which I bought as one of the first people. It could not play ISO or DSD-Files, other people tested this function later without problems. But Zishan insisted it is not is fault. He never admit any mistakes, its a big topic in his group too, me and other people got kicked out of the group when they speak out issues.
My DSD which I bought second hand can not update the firmware up to a specific version, other people with the same DSD can update it. All his products are better prototypes which might be OK if you can live with possible function issues.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #143 of 196
zishan u1 cs43198 pcb.jpg
New version available for the U1. Now comes with CS43198.

Nov 22, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #144 of 196
Hi!
Got my U1 week ago. Am i doing something wrong, but sound does not changes at all? Can i change something?
Testing on linux and windows 10. thunderbolt to usb-c does not work too, but probably it's a cable lenght issue, too long.

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #146 of 196
Hello, I recently got this and I can't seem to charge more than 50%. At least that's what I think, because the indicator light isn't lighting up (75) and (100) despite how long I charge it....

This this item just take a really long time to charge ? Or might have I gotten a bad unit?

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #148 of 196
To revive this thread, here a happy user of 4493 version. But it wasn't perfect from the beginning. All through trial and error. Devise is somewhat picky about sources. Windows 7 without updates and older android phones are especially prone to this. Some software tuning is needed wherever you have problems. For me it easier to use DAP as a transport. Both AP60-II and Fiio M3 Pro works flawlessly with Zishan. Sound quality wise, I think it's on the level of Xduoo XD-01, with nice warm tonality, contrary to Xduoo's neutral one.
Still thinking of 43198 version, maybe someone will post impressions to this thread? Will be much appreciated.

Jan 27, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #149 of 196
I replaced LPF opamp (OP275) with OPA1612. Before, sound signature was highly mid centric to my ears. Now it seems more balanced in whole spectrum. I checked via oscilloscope and there is no oscillation or any stability issue with OPA1612.

Feb 8, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #150 of 196
I bought this little device on a whim as it was only $24.99 and I can always use another powerbank. It arrived last Friday and I have to say, I'm very pleasantly surprised about the quality of the DAC! My Xiaomi Note 9 immediately recognised it and I could immediately try Tidal through the USB Audio Player app. A few weeks ago I also bought a pair of Open Heart OH2000 which are another great example of Chifi products getting better and better. The two have excellent synergy, so much even that I am now using them more than my HD650 and Chord Mojo. They miss a bit in the highs maybe but the mids and lows are excellent, especially with female voices (Billy Eilish for example) and electronic music. Classical piano (LangLang) was great too but more complex symphonic pieces get a bit muddy (Klaus Badel, Pirates of the Carribean OST). The biggest surprise is how quiet the U1 is. No hiss or hum, even at high volumes. The potmeter has no crackles or pops either. One problem may stop me from using this day to day. It loses connections very easily and even when I go from one album to another, it sometimes get's distorted as if it doesn't sync the signal anymore. Overall: Sound quality: 7/10 Sound stage: 8/10 Value for money: 9.5/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back