ZhiYin QT5 4BA + 1DD Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #1,159 of 1,497
So all this time Ive been praising a F....N Lemon!!? Clearly Im def blind!
deadhorse.gif

Or they've been damaged in the transportation process. Don't be so hard on yourself until you get 'em back! 

Honestly though, these might've been my next impulse purchase if not for the QC...

Jun 22, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #1,160 of 1,497
Oh dear, this doesn't look good. Mine are arriving in the UK today and I can already feel my fingertips warming up ready to be burned :frowning2:
They could be a lemon, or the next best thing since sliced bread. I just hope my ears aren't wheat intolerant. Gotta keep smiling though eh.....

Jun 22, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #1,161 of 1,497

Or they've been damaged in the transportation process. Don't be so hard on yourself until you get 'em back! 

Honestly though, these might've been my next impulse purchase if not for the QC...

Did the words "better than FLC8" bring you here? heheh.

Jun 22, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #1,162 of 1,497

Did the words "better than FLC8" bring you here? heheh.

Caught me in the act 
biggrin.gif

FLC8S are my current champions so of course I'd be curious about anything that supposedly beats them at a similar price range! 

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #1,163 of 1,497
Oh dear, this doesn't look good. Mine are arriving in the UK today and I can already feel my fingertips warming up ready to be burned
frown.gif

They could be a lemon, or the next best thing since sliced bread. I just hope my ears aren't wheat intolerant. Gotta keep smiling though eh.....

Stay away from this thread once you receive them. Don't let opinions, reviews, measurements and a banned dude sway your opinion.
Listen to them and let your own ears judge. As long as you like them, that's all it takes.

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #1,164 of 1,497
[Mod Comment]

I just deleted a bunch of posts.  We don't generally discuss moderation - check the ToS / posting guidelines.

All I will say regarding Paulpark is that his ban had nothing to do with his review, and everything to do with his ethical conduct under the guise of being a reviewer.  No more discussion on it OK.

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #1,165 of 1,497
Back to the QT5.

My aim is not to turn anyone away from these - its simply to find the truth. Unfortunately the measurements don't lie - and I've already been PM'd a set of measurements on a similar rig of another pair which matches these - so two the same suggest it's not an error.

If anyone can get their pair measured (especially with a Veritas coupler) - then I'd love to see some more data points.  The more we have, the better the picture.

@bhazard - if your pair can be measured (as a "good pair") it would certainly help to see where the differences are.

@Paulus XII - not sure if you can get the Golden Ear ones to Nik?  He has quite a good measurement set-up - albeit using a different system

To anyone with these on the way - ignore my posts and make your own impressions.  I really am interested to see what other people are getting.

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #1,166 of 1,497
Well, if nothing else, this has been a very interesting thread.  And I`ve taken away two side effects: 

The Sirius has become extremely interesting, and 
The DN-4001 is back on my to-get list

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #1,167 of 1,497
This thread genuinely intrigues me, never seen such a huge difference in opinions. Some (well regarded) members say they are TOTL level, some say they are completely worthless..

Decided to pass on these, at least for the moment, and went for the D2 instead. But I will keep following the thread to see how this all unfolds..
popcorn.gif

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #1,168 of 1,497
Stay away from this thread once you receive them. Don't let opinions, reviews, measurements and a banned dude sway your opinion.
Listen to them and let your own ears judge. As long as you like them, that's all it takes.
That a great suggestion, and I fully intend to give these some weeks of constant use before making up my mind. Once I've made an evaluation of my own I'll come back and see what damage has been done here lol.

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #1,169 of 1,497
Interestingly enough, my pair would measure closer to audio's/Brooko' measurements, but Seesax's won't.

If someone can give me a walkthrough on the proper basics of using the Veritas (the quick start helps but I have so many questions), it can help me get a graph of mine. My free time is very limited so I apologize for not learning sooner.

The midrange being sucked out was the sound I heard before fixing mine. If vocals are hard to hear and muffled, this indicates a driver isn't working or something isn't right. I actually sent back my first pair because of this thinking it was defective (it was if it sounds like that). The second pair exhibited the same behavior until I physically caused an imbalance by playing with the housing one side at a time. The hollow muffled mids became clear.

Brooko, does audio's pair have clear vocals? If not, being defective is highly likely. If they are clear, it's less likely the case.

The one recording where things sound bloated bass into mids on mine is a 192k mp3 album of Megadriver-Metalhog (video game metal of Sega music). This bloat does not exist on the Shockwave 3. This isn't a very good quality recording, so I thought it was more the album's fault at the time. The bass actually adds a nice touch to everything else.

TwinACstacks heard my pair and didn't much like it either, it came back to me the same way it was sent.

Which then leaves Seesax's pair, which sounds a little different than mine. We debated if mine is off or if his is. We still don't really know.

So yes, right now until there is more consistency, a wait and see approach is best if you want to avoid some risk.

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #1,170 of 1,497
So should we officially consider that the hype is dead ? :) My pair is still on it's way. I will try to comment after I recieve. It these are going to be bassier than Sony Z5 then it would be ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back