ZhiYin QT5 4BA + 1DD Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #916 of 1,497
Hmmm... unfortunately I'm not enjoying the sound that much. Quite disappointing actually.

But I'll spend some more time and upload my impressions whenever I'm ready.

Paul 

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #917 of 1,497
A polarizing IEM indeed.

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #921 of 1,497
  Hmmm... unfortunately I'm not enjoying the sound that much. Quite disappointing actually.

But I'll spend some more time and upload my impressions whenever I'm ready.

Paul 

30+ hours of burn in and try the reattach firmly + twist method. If vocals don't sound clear it isn't working how it should be.

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #922 of 1,497
The QT5 and QT4 have used the same shell and it is hard to identify until you open the shell and check inside the drivers,
So who knows some people get the really QT5 which sounds perfect and others received the QT4 instead of QT5.

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #923 of 1,497
  30+ hours of burn in and try the reattach firmly + twist method. If vocals don't sound clear it isn't working how it should be.

Well, the previous owner already burned them for more than 150hrs but I don't believe that much on burn-in effect. Burning or twisting the mmcx connector couldn't make the sound from horrible to beautiful.

Actually, there shouldn't be any change if I'm twisting the cable. If there's an issue with the connection the sound should be either distorted or no sound at all. 

I'm a bit surprised that the forum reaction/price doesn't quite match with the actual sound that I'm hearing right now. It's a decent gap to think this as a personal preference problem. I've checked the frequency response and these are working fine. And yes it is QT5, not QT4.

I'm just going to spend some more time with these and see what happens with my further thoughts.
blink.gif

Paul

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #924 of 1,497
  Well, the previous owner already burned them for more than 150hrs but I don't believe that much on burn-in effect. Burning or twisting the mmcx connector couldn't make the sound from horrible to beautiful.

Actually, there shouldn't be any change if I'm twisting the cable. If there's an issue with the connection the sound should be either distorted or no sound at all. 

I'm a bit surprised that the forum reaction/price doesn't quite match with the actual sound that I'm hearing right now. It's a decent gap to think this as a personal preference problem. I've checked the frequency response and these are working fine. And yes it is QT5, not QT4.

I'm just going to spend some more time with these and see what happens with my further thoughts.
blink.gif

Paul

Twin hears it too and possibly Seesax, I think maybe one or two others

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #925 of 1,497

blink.gif

Paul

So nice to hear another voice of reason in this thread. 

From my experience once you get used to the sound there are a few things to like about the QT5. It is hard to get past the highly colored, thick mids and the massive, bloated upper bass but it has decent detail retrieval and a pretty good soundstage. That's about it though. 

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #926 of 1,497
  So nice to hear another voice of reason in this thread. 

From my experience once you get used to the sound there are a few things to like about the QT5. It is hard to get past the highly colored, thick mids and the massive, bloated upper bass but it has decent detail retrieval and a pretty good soundstage. That's about it though. 

Oh man, the combination of both raving and dissenting reviews makes this such a hard sell. This seems like the clear winner over the dqsm d2, but maybe it isn't the case? 

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #927 of 1,497
  Oh man, the combination of both raving and dissenting reviews makes this such a hard sell. This seems like the clear winner over the dqsm d2, but maybe it isn't the case? 

I don't know why people are not mentioning the Shockwave III, they're also 4BA + 1DD and around the same price. As a QT5 owner I wish I would have just got them instead and avoided the QC and sound issues.

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #928 of 1,497

We still don't know if it's qc variation, defect, personal preference thing, or if 8ohm screws with some equipment. I've experienced both the non working and working sound.. when not working right vocals are very muffled along with bloat, where when they are working right it is very clear. Bass is thick, but not bloated. I only notice the thick lower mids on poor recordings.

It is puzzling how it's split half raving and half not liking it.

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #929 of 1,497

I don't know why people are not mentioning the Shockwave III, they're also 4BA + 1DD and around the same price. As a QT5 owner I wish I would have just got them instead and avoided the QC and sound issues.

I spent a week with the SW3, and I don't regret going with the QT5 one bit. Twin didn't prefer my QT5, and as long as it comes back sounding how it should have, it's a personal preference thing there.

The DQSM2 supposedly comes close to both though, so we'll see soon enough. 

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #930 of 1,497
A quick and positive update on my posts from yesterday.

I contacted the seller and he has been great.   He indicated that its the first problem like this that he experienced.  He contacted the factory regarding my QT4/QT5 question and the QA/QC issues and they provided this rather detailed and very interesting response:

Re shipping:  Seller actually wanted to give me an upgrade with faster shipping and didn't think DHS would charge me more on arrival.  He has offered to reimburse me for the extra shipping costs

Re: QA/QC: Factory is so busy that the units were made, packed and shipped in the same day, they think that they may have fallen open during shipping before the glue dried.  They will take precautions for this moving forward. Seller has offered to replace and pay for shipping at no cost to me.  I have since glued them together myself and they don't seem broken inside so Ill probably just take a small refund for my troubles.

Re:  QT5 vs QT4 and crossover circuit:  Factory provided these photos explaining the wiring, it looks like I have the QT5 and that these are physically tuned more than electronically as there are only some resistors between BA's to tune.  On the plus side these have to be the easiest IEM to fix if there is a problem.  I would have no problem replacing connectors or drivers myself.  In the past when IEM's got caught in luggage cart wheels, stepped on, or slammed in cab doors I always pitched them out and bought new.  With these I can just open them up and fix myself.  This is definitely a big plus over other models.

Re sound:  I am really enjoying these, for the next while QT5 and DQSM D2 will be my EDC ( I always carry 2 IEM's with me at all times just in case) with QT5 used when I want to literally rock my world and D2 used when on the train/plane, and chilling.  They are so different and so good in their own way.  Ill post up a better review in a week or so with my longer term impressions.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back