ZhiYin QT5 4BA + 1DD Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #931 of 1,497
Of course it is 100% about preference. I could easily see many people loving the QT5. It has its own charms.

However, this x hours of burn in before it unlocks its hidden treasure concept is what I find a bit bothersome and unreasonable. 

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #932 of 1,497
  We still don't know if it's qc variation, defect, personal preference thing, or if 8ohm screws with some equipment. I've experienced both the non working and working sound.. when not working right vocals are very muffled along with bloat, where when they are working right it is very clear. Bass is thick, but not bloated. I only notice the thick lower mids on poor recordings.

It is puzzling how it's split half raving and half not liking it.

isn't that the very definition of QC tho? I am just saying, if it takes more than a couple dozen twists and pulls to potentially fix or kickstart the driver then thats a defect  imo. Again I am speaking in general terms. 

But I agree, I have yet to see anything like this before, surely preference can't be that divisive. 

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #933 of 1,497
  Of course it is 100% about preference. I could easily see many people loving the QT5. It has its own charms.

However, this x hours of burn in before it unlocks its hidden treasure concept is what I find a bit bothersome and unreasonable. 

Yeah thats disappointing to see stuff like that, especially for an expensive product like that. Plenty of fairy dust to go around perhaps. 

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #934 of 1,497
  We still don't know if it's qc variation, defect, personal preference thing, or if 8ohm screws with some equipment. I've experienced both the non working and working sound.. when not working right vocals are very muffled along with bloat, where when they are working right it is very clear. Bass is thick, but not bloated. I only notice the thick lower mids on poor recordings.

It is puzzling how it's split half raving and half not liking it.

I think that the most likely cause of a BA driver malfunction and the "twist the connector issue" is a short between the BA driver wire and the shell.  Twisting the connector will move the shell parts slightly and could conceivably fix this issue.  Mine almost had a short as one wire was chaffed through the insulation and very close to the shell (see the tiny bit of copper showing on the green wire).  I added some sealant to fix this before I glued it back together.   If one of the BA's starts to malfunction on my unit I would pull it apart and check this first.

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #936 of 1,497
  I think that the most likely cause of a BA driver malfunction and the "twist the connector issue" is a short between the BA driver wire and the shell.  Twisting the connector will move the shell parts slightly and could conceivably fix this issue.  Mine almost had a short as one wire was chaffed through the insulation and very close to the shell (see the tiny bit of copper showing on the green wire).  I added some sealant to fix this before I glued it back together.   If one of the BA's starts to malfunction on my unit I would pull it apart and check this first.

Makes sense. There was no "fairy dust" about it. The left driver immediately sounded different than the right driver after I did that. Unfortunately it also reinforces some QC issues as well if the wires are shorting on the shell.

Glad to hear that you like them and all is working out (mostly).

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #937 of 1,497
Just took my QT5s apart to try and fix them and maybe add an actual crossover. They do indeed contain four BAs, and one of the wires leading to the 31749 driver does appear to have been damaged/cut when the case was closed.

This might be the root of the problem, since the mids were really dissapointing for me.

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #938 of 1,497
Well, the previous owner already burned them for more than 150hrs but I don't believe that much on burn-in effect. Burning or twisting the mmcx connector couldn't make the sound from horrible to beautiful.

Actually, there shouldn't be any change if I'm twisting the cable. If there's an issue with the connection the sound should be either distorted or no sound at all. 

I'm a bit surprised that the forum reaction/price doesn't quite match with the actual sound that I'm hearing right now. It's a decent gap to think this as a personal preference problem. I've checked the frequency response and these are working fine. And yes it is QT5, not QT4.

I'm just going to spend some more time with these and see what happens with my further thoughts.:blink:

Paul

Hi Paul,
What is the source you use, have you ever tried QT5 from directly a smartphone, if no please give him a try from a smartphone without using any amp/dac , maybe because of very low impedance they work fine with a low power source like a smartphone.

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #939 of 1,497
  Just took my QT5s apart to try and fix them and maybe add an actual crossover. They do indeed contain four BAs, and one of the wires leading to the 31749 driver does appear to have been damaged/cut when the case was closed.

This might be the root of the problem, since the mids were really dissapointing for me.

Nice work m245 !  pictures pleeeeeeeeease :)  I think you will find that once all drivers are working and you hear the result, your thoughts of adding a crossover will evaporate.  I took apart DQSM1 and have seen the LZ-A3 opened up as well and these do not have crossovers either.  I would also guess that the D2 is crossover free as well (only based on the lack of free space in the DQSM1)

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #940 of 1,497

You sound like you'd be able to solder this fix yourself. If you can, let us know how it worked out! If not, ZhiYin really needs to do something about that.

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #941 of 1,497
Lol ive been saying it's probably an internal issue most likely. Looks like I may be right

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #942 of 1,497
Unfortunately I couln't get close-ups of the mystery 120-ohm driver on my phone, but it has a beat shaped logo with 151217 written on it.

The red circled area is where pressue is placed on the wires when the case is closed, causing shorts or even complete tears. This affects mainly the 31749 driver.

As you can see I scratched the casing of the earphones a lot while taking it open, keep that in mind if you're going to do this.

Edit: Twisting the MMCX connector doesn't move anything inside, it's glued to the case.

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #944 of 1,497
T's not just a variant, the X7 sports the desktop 8 channel dac, whereas the V10 uses the mobile version. I am sure the V10 sounds fun but I doubt it sounds as good as the X7 with Am2 module. 

+1

Oh man, the combination of both raving and dissenting reviews makes this such a hard sell. This seems like the clear winner over the dqsm d2, but maybe it isn't the case? 

In what way does this seems like the clear winner over the D2 is I may ask? I haven't read anything indicating this.....

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #945 of 1,497
Excuse me for asking as I haven't read all 60+ pages of this but what's the general consensus on these? For the price the specs looks amazing!

However, as I'm reading there's no crossover so all speakers seem to be playing all frequencies all the time which seems odd.

Otherwise hows the over all sound? What do they compare to? Are they worth the money or are there better choices? 

Thanks guys and gals! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back