ZhiYin QT5 4BA + 1DD Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #617 of 1,497
Picked up the QT5 from @kimD yesterday. I have about 4 hours of ear time with them so far. 

I am not a fan of the cable's aesthetics. The braiding quality is pretty poor and uneven. It looks like a messy rope to be frank. The memory wire section refuses to stay in place above my ears, which is made worse by the fact that there is no chin gilder. Well, considering they are cramming 4BAs and 1DD in this price range, something had to give and seems like it was the cable. 

As for sound, very early impression is it sounds decent but also rather different from what I have now. It is definitely not as linear and open sounding as the FLC8s, but is much thicker and fuller. There is quite a bit of bloom and echo in the upper bass and lower mids area which I think is the cause of the thickness. Overall sound is a bit colored and not as natural as the FLC8s or Z5, but this has more to do with my brain getting used to the signature than anything else right now. 

Apart from that, treble is indeed impressive. Detailed and resolving but smooth as butter. Soundstage and imaging is also on a very high level. Also, detail retrieval and separation across the spectrum is quite good considering how thick the sound is. My only problem is how massive the upper bass and lower mids sound. A touch less quantity in this area and it would be damn near perfection. I will give more ear time and see (hear) how it goes.

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #618 of 1,497
  Picked up the QT5 from @kimD yesterday. I have about 4 hours of ear time with them so far. 

I am not a fan of the cable's aesthetics. The braiding quality is pretty poor and uneven. It looks like a messy rope to be frank. The memory wire section refuses to stay in place above my ears, which is made worse by the fact that there is no chin gilder. Well, considering they are cramming 4BAs and 1DD in this price range, something had to give and seems like it was the cable. 

As for sound, very early impression is it sounds decent but also rather different from what I have now. It is definitely not as linear and open sounding as the FLC8s, but is much thicker and fuller. There is quite a bit of bloom and echo in the upper bass and lower mids area which I think is the cause of the thickness. Overall sound is a bit colored and not as natural as the FLC8s or Z5, but this has more to do with my brain getting used to the signature than anything else right now. 

Apart from that, treble is indeed impressive. Detailed and resolving but smooth as butter. Soundstage and imaging is also on a very high level. Also, detail retrieval and separation across the spectrum is quite good considering how thick the sound is. My only problem is how massive the upper bass and lower mids sound. A touch less quantity in this area and it would be damn near perfection. I will give more ear time and see (hear) how it goes.

Let the bass gets controlled. They will sound more open and everything will sound just perfect. It will get impressively tight at about 200hrs.

I don't like the looks of the cable too, but I love how it sounds.

Jun 11, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #619 of 1,497
  waiting to hear if andromeda is worth that upgrade from qt5

Thats great news! Out of the 14 or so IEMs purchased over the past three months Ive never experienced such a dramatic improvement from burn as with the QT5s ! Its a pity YhinZin doesnt provide info with the QT5s explaining they require a timeline of burnin / or their manufacturer QC performs at least 24hours burn in.. might prevent the odd customer sending them back dissapointed. I was impressed by mine OOTB but also new thx to bhazard , Paulus and Carlsan what to expect OOTB.

Am finally past the 100 hour mark now and noticing more warmth , clarity and refinement , the mids more fluid and detailed. .trebles always been a marvel . really phenomenal !
k701smile.gif

dt880smile.png

Jun 11, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #622 of 1,497
I think I'll pass on these. The fear for bad fit with my narrow ear canals, inconsistent build quality and 200 hours for your brain to adjust to the sound is unfortunately a bit to much for me at this price point.

I hope they sort out the qc issues, if they do I may very well consider them in the future since I'm sure they sound excellent when working properly.

Jun 11, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #625 of 1,497
Funny how one person having a bad day can put so many off something this good.. Looking through the QT5 reviews in AE noone is complaining about QC issues.. :popcorn:

I believe I've read about at least three different units having this issue with the cable by now....

Jun 11, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #626 of 1,497
From what I've read, just rotate the cable 360 degrees or something like that and its solved. The only real issue I see here is 1 person with most probably a defective unit, which happens with the best brands. These IEMs are good quality with attention to detail. Even SW3 (MMCX version) had issues with the connector. Even Fidue.

Jun 11, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #627 of 1,497
Bought a pair of QT5 from an audiophile from Hong Kong and I'll be getting them in few days.

Not sure how they would sound but hope they're worth the money! 
biggrin.gif

Paul

Jun 11, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #628 of 1,497
"From what I've read, just rotate the cable 360 degrees or something like that and its solved. The only real issue I see here is 1 person with most probably a defective unit, which happens with the best brands. These IEMs are good quality with attention to detail. Even SW3 (MMCX version) had issues with the connector. Even Fidue."

Is it only 1 person???,seems that this problem is growing,-every time I open up this thread,another member is having a problem
Looks like the QC at ZhiYing,is non-exist ant??

$300.00 is a lot of money,to lay out,for a product that is coming out of the factory,..faulty.

For now-I'll pass

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back