ZhiYin QT5 4BA + 1DD Impressions Thread
Jun 13, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #814 of 1,497
something strange happen to my unit..when i first receive it i swear to god it is a dark EQ iem. The treble is simply laid back...veil..Today when i listen to it again, the sound completely change..the veil is gone...in fact it is not a dark iem anymore...i dont even consider it dark anymore. Hmm can someone tell me What actually is happening here? I dont think it is due to the burn-in but seriously i cant think of a logical explanation. 

I think bhazards term "unlock " is a good way to describe this unusual quirk of the QT5s. My treble sounded impressive OOTB but had similar experience as you in the mid & bass .. then they just opened up and unlocked additional layers and became clearer. OOTB I thought QT5 S.Q was levels above my Fidue A83s which I considered the best sounding triple driver Id heard after comparing with SE535..
Have been doing comparrisons today going through my collection before I sell them. Reminded once again how QT5s make my A83 sound thin and small, destroy my IE80s in soundstage , have the warmth and musicality I adored so much with the Shozy Zeros , also a much much bigger allover sound than the impressive XB90EX. Then theres the Holographic aspect that nothing else in this collection has that makes me want to re visit old tunes ..very similar to when I upgrade my graphic cards and want to revisit games Ive already played! Have realised until now Id experienced lower and mid tier SQ which is why the QT5s have had such an impact on my enjoyment of music and fit so well with my ideal signature preference ! At the end of the day its all about knowing your preference signature! . :beyersmile:

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #816 of 1,497
Have been doing comparrisons today going through my collection before I sell them. Reminded once again how QT5s make my A83 sound thin and small, destroy my IE80s in soundstage , have the warmth and musicality I adored so much with the Shozy Zeros , also a much much bigger allover sound than the impressive XB90EX. Then theres the Holographic aspect that nothing else in this collection has that makes me want to re visit old tunes ..very similar to when I upgrade my graphic cards and want to revisit games Ive already played! Have realised until now Id experienced lower and mid tier SQ which is why the QT5s have had such an impact on my enjoyment of music and fit so well with my ideal signature preference ! At the end of the day its all about knowing your preference signature! .
beyersmile.png

I can attest to that. The soundstage and imaging is stunning for its price range. Large, with good amounts of width, depth and height, and accurate imaging. My FLC8 is on loan, from memory it does everything correct but with a small stage size. The QT5 staging and imaging reminds me of the multidriver CIEMs in my collection. Hope the "unlocking" comes sooner than later!

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #817 of 1,497
Then I highly recommend you send them to bhazard asap! As previously typed and highlighted in bold yesterday. Do not send them back to Jim and pay for shipping !

How is this different from getting a replacement from Jim other than losing the shipping cost? I'm nervous as I now have only six days to open a dispute if I need to. If I send to bhazard and he deems them defective,then I will have to inconvenience him to ship them to Jim for me.

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #818 of 1,497
Then I highly recommend you send them to bhazard asap! As previously typed and highlighted in bold yesterday. Do not send them back to Jim and pay for shipping !

I dont see what exactly B can do though? His was awful sounding, turned good, sent to Twin and it's awful again. Both Twin and Seesax have tried multiple cables and multiple attempts at twisting them on. Either the sound sig isn't for some people or these things have internal component issues. Just my take. If Jim is willing to pay for shipping to make sure Sax gets a product he is satisfied with then I see no issue.

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #819 of 1,497
I can attest to that. The soundstage and imaging is stunning for its price range. Large, with good amounts of width, depth and height, and accurate imaging. My FLC8 is on loan, from memory it does everything correct but with a small stage size. The QT5 staging and imaging reminds me of the multidriver CIEMs in my collection. Hope the "unlocking" comes sooner than later!

Still early stage, just let them burning sometimes you would realise that changed.

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #820 of 1,497
I also think it's worth mentioning that mine are leaps and bounds better than they were when I took them out of the box. I was back at work today where my E18 is and when I plugged them in and fired up Tidal, I wasn't disgusted like I was on Thursday! It is absolutely crazy, but I think either burn-in or just listening time has caused these to sound completely different. 

I still do, however, agree with Twin that these are dark sounding on certain songs. For me, there are certain songs that have very thick/muffled vocals. A lot of pop and electronic sounds absolutely FANTASTIC, but for some acoustic tracks the vocals sound like crap to me. If I had to vote at this point, it would be that mine are not defective, but just that they exhibit a sound in vocals that I do not like. I will, however, return them for a replacement OR send them to bhazard so that we can know 100%. 

-Collin-

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #821 of 1,497
  something strange happen to my unit..when i first receive it i swear to god it is a dark EQ iem. The treble is simply laid back...veil..Today when i listen to it again, the sound completely change..the veil is gone...in fact it is not a dark iem anymore...i dont even consider it dark anymore. Hmm can someone tell me What actually is happening here? I dont think it is due to the burn-in but seriously i cant think of a logical explanation. 

Our hearing system can adapt to a particular kind of frequency response when given enough time. Meaning if you keep on listening to the QT5 for long enough, its frequency response will become "normal" to your ears. And then whatever aspects of the sound you didn't like before (lacking treble, dark or veil sounding) will not be as prominent because your brain has compensated in some way for these lackings. This is when uaually earphones are described as "opening up", "bass tightening up", etc.

If you take a long enough break from listening to the QT5, listen to something brighter or different in the meantime and then come back, more than likely they will sound exactly like OOTB. Even if you don't listen to something else and just take a break for a day or two, this will be the case. It has happened to me over and over again.

Either this is the case or as @MuZo2 said, there is a tiny computer inside this iem that can control its mood. Some people just can't convince the QT5 to become a bright and happy fella.

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #822 of 1,497
Aliexpress was the worst experience of my life... Jim gave discount but Aliexpress  wouldn't approve the order. Now, Aliexpress finally approves me to order, but no discount. So QT5 really not for me...  Oh well, I gave it a good try. 

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #823 of 1,497
  Aliexpress was the worst experience of my life... Jim gave discount but Aliexpress  wouldn't approve the order. Now, Aliexpress finally approves me to order, but no discount. So QT5 really not for me...  Oh well, I gave it a good try. 

Can you not ask him to re-add the price adjustment? Or is that off the table? Once you get over the initial hurdle, AE is quite pleasant to use, but it depends on whom you are dealing with. Sucks that your first experience wasn't so great. 

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #824 of 1,497

Mine experiences with Easy and HCK are only positive but they do have a weird system with the discount payment. You chose the order you want and just before the final payment you stop. Then the seller adjust the price inform you and you hit the pay button. It took me some time to understand this and stop at the right moment :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back