ZhiYin QT5 4BA + 1DD Impressions Thread
Jun 13, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #796 of 1,497
Figured this should get here too, I'm sure he will re-post this or add to it but:

cool.gif
 Guys, since Lurk wants to PRESSURE me into a comparison 
biggrin.gif
, and I have had very little time to write anything as I have worked 10 Hrs a day for the Last 7 days, I will compare briefly

The Shockwave III, QT5, and the DQSM2 the easy way so I can get an actual review done. Many are going to dis-agree or be offended by my results but remember these are MY OPINIONS based on what I hear with my MEAGER EQUIPMENT.

KEEP IN MIND THESE ARE ALL (IMO) WORLD CLASS EARPHONES, there are NO losers only preferences.

Build Quality:

DQSM2 > QT5 = Shockwave

SOUND QUALITY:   (This is the one everyone will have an opinion on)

Shockwave > DQSM2 > QT5

EQ  (Dark to bright)

QT5 / DQSM2 / Shockwave III

Favorite IEM overall:

DQSM2 > Shockwave > QT5

Value for the $$$$:

DQSM2  easily.

Sorry if this offends anyone, and also MANY Thanks to Bhazard for loaning me his Pair of QT5 so I can actually give a personal opinion. I'm quite grateful for this opportunity, Vince.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
 TWIN

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #797 of 1,497
something strange happen to my unit..when i first receive it i swear to god it is a dark EQ iem. The treble is simply laid back...veil..Today when i listen to it again, the sound completely change..the veil is gone...in fact it is not a dark iem anymore...i dont even consider it dark anymore. Hmm can someone tell me What actually is happening here? I dont think it is due to the burn-in but seriously i cant think of a logical explanation. 

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #798 of 1,497
  something strange happen to my unit..when i first receive it i swear to god it is a dark EQ iem. The treble is simply laid back...veil..Today when i listen to it again, the sound completely change..the veil is gone...in fact it is not a dark iem anymore...i dont even consider it dark anymore. Hmm can someone tell me What actually is happening here? I dont think it is due to the burn-in but seriously i cant think of a logical explanation. 

Sounds like there seems to be a weird QC issue with these where something internal will either work perfect OOTB, suddenly start working or work intermittently or just never work at all. 

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #799 of 1,497

Welcome to the club. This is exactly what happened to me and a few others. It can't be burn in, but basically the QT5 just "unlocked" for you as well. It's too drastic a change, and the muffled veil is gone. Sounds fantastic though right? I was much more impressed when the veil was gone. I wasn't very happy before that.

I still can't think of a reason why myself either. I figured it was an improper cable connection or seating.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #800 of 1,497
Is it possible the seal the ear tips normally have is different - if they normally seal/sit on the entrance to your ears
and you one day push them all the way in...the sound can sound massively different 

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #802 of 1,497

I think it is burn in. I noticed something like that after a few weeks of using them.
They became more neutral and really almost perfect for my preferences.
I think mine changed around 100 hours or so.

Either that or my mind is playing tricks on me, I am of that age :')

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #803 of 1,497
  Ask it to test it before he sends it, so total cost for you would be around 400$ ?

Not sure I follow the question. It will cost $285 I paid for them + $62 to ship back to him, so $347. Then we'll see if I have to pay shipping on the replacement set. I want to do whatever is best for both me and the head-fi community here. 

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #804 of 1,497
Not sure I follow the question. It will cost $285 I paid for them + $62 to ship back to him, so $347. Then we'll see if I have to pay shipping on the replacement set. I want to do whatever is best for both me and the head-fi community here. 

I think you need to send it back, he should cover the shipping if he wants the 5 day shipping. Then he sends out a tested working one. Free of charge. You've tried the fixes and different cables. All that can be assumed is the device is defective due to poor QC

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #809 of 1,497
It's weird with such differing opinions about the same model, and in this case even the same pair. Could it be some kind of seal issue? Not necessarily between tip and ear canal, but something with that huge nozzle? Or something with the vents? I'm trying to think about stuff that could have such a huge impact on sound, maybe bhazard accidentally fixed something else while tinkering with the cable?

I know we all hear differently etc, it just seems odd to me that you guys hear even the same pair that differently...

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #810 of 1,497
  It's weird with such differing opinions about the same model, and in this case even the same pair. Could it be some kind of seal issue? Not necessarily between tip and ear canal, but something with that huge nozzle? Or something with the vents? I'm trying to think about stuff that could have such a huge impact on sound, maybe bhazard accidentally fixed something else while tinkering with the cable?

I know we all hear differently etc, it just seems odd to me that you guys hear even the same pair that differently...

It's a good point. I can tell you this: covering the rear vent hole causes a drastic change in sound and volume. Don't cover that on accident because I think it could potentially damage the drivers. 

Other than that, I haven't found tips to make a huge difference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back