Zhaolu 2.5
Oct 26, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #76 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by dillon157
Fr@ntz, I like your avatar... don't think that's something I would openly advertise though.
wink.gif

Anyway, I read earlier in this forum that the discrete headamp came stock with the D2.5. Is this true or did I misread something. I was just wondering because iFi still offers the discrete amp with the D2.5 for $50 extra. Why would they do this if it comes stock?

There must have been a misunderstanding I just breezed over in my reading.

I was under the impression that iFi offers an optional upgraded amp (above the stock amp) with these DAC's.

Oct 26, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #77 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2
I was under the impression that iFi offers an optional upgraded amp (above the stock amp) with these DAC's.

Right, that's what I thought too. I had read a previous post wrong
rolleyes.gif
. Sorry about that.

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #78 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
I tend to agree really. A built in headphone amp is good for the section of the population who doesn't want to use a dedicated amplifier.. but how much of the population of external DAC buyers wouldn't use an external amp? Seems like a strange choice really

If it would drop the price (or keep the price the same but add more money to the dac section) i'd really like to see the headamp section removed

I LOVE the upgraded discrete headamp. Works as a wonderful preamp for me. I would most definitely miss it, were it gone. It's a GREAT value at $44. I couldn't get an independent headamp that sounded nearly this good at nearly this price.

Oct 27, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #79 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
I LOVE the upgraded discrete headamp. Works as a wonderful preamp for me. I would most definitely miss it, were it gone. It's a GREAT value at $44. I couldn't get an independent headamp that sounded nearly this good at nearly this price.

have you ever tested K1000 with it? cos i find the orignal amp to be a lot better...clarity wise.

Oct 28, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #80 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by dillon157
Fr@ntz, I like your avatar... don't think that's something I would openly advertise though.
wink.gif

My avatar describes only my opinion about "windows familly" (look at dwarfs hat
wink.gif
)
very_evil_smiley.gif

By the way since I've heard my HD580 on Zhaolu 2.5 I've decided to sold may V.A.L E-1 (and I did it).
VALs' hi-res photos:
http://img276.imageshack.us/my.php?image=val004nm7.jpg
http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/2229/val006wp7.jpg
http://img271.imageshack.us/img271/6882/val009fi8.jpg

It was fine but no so good as Zhaolu, and now I'm looking for something as good as Zhaolu. but in smaller dimentions (and price if it possible).
580smile.gif

Nov 1, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #81 of 150
I am waiting for a DAC2.5A. Just wondering if anyone has tried some mods on the DAC. Sean, has you tried removing the DC-blocked caps? If yes, how about the sonic difference? In addition, is there any issue without the caps while DC offset would be at 50-100mV?

Nov 1, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #82 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firevortex
have you ever tested K1000 with it? cos i find the orignal amp to be a lot better...clarity wise.

The original amp is disgustingly bad, imo. Slow, lack of clarity, strange coloration (with speakers).

I'll pass on that one.

Nov 4, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #83 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by goto2003
I am waiting for a DAC2.5A. Just wondering if anyone has tried some mods on the DAC. Sean, has you tried removing the DC-blocked caps? If yes, how about the sonic difference? In addition, is there any issue without the caps while DC offset would be at 50-100mV?

I'm also thinking of getting the Zhaolu D2.5C with the discrete headphone amp. I've been reading quite a few threads about the Zhaolu and now I can't wait to get my hands on it
rs1smile.gif
. iFiaudio is out of the discrete amp upgrade so I have to wait a bit to get it.

What's bypassing those DC caps do exactly? What are they altogether? I'm relatively new to all this and I'd like to understand what difference it makes in the signal and resulting sound.

Nov 4, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #84 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Condor
I'm also thinking of getting the Zhaolu D2.5C with the discrete headphone amp. I've been reading quite a few threads about the Zhaolu and now I can't wait to get my hands on it
rs1smile.gif
. iFiaudio is out of the discrete amp upgrade so I have to wait a bit to get it.

selling my discrete amp
smily_headphones1.gif
its pretty much new..
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=206145

Nov 4, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #85 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firevortex
selling my discrete amp
smily_headphones1.gif
its pretty much new..
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=206145

Thanks, but I'm not really into the DIY just yet
rs1smile.gif
. I'll build my way up there probably. I'll start simple. (although I'm certain its pretty simply at such a high level (since the thing is already built
blink.gif
).

Nov 4, 2006 at 10:48 AM Post #86 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Condor
Thanks, but I'm not really into the DIY just yet
rs1smile.gif
. I'll build my way up there probably. I'll start simple. (although I'm certain its pretty simply at such a high level (since the thing is already built
blink.gif
).

blink.gif
all you have to do is pull the volume noob off (took me 1sec), unscrew two screws at the bottom (30sec), re-plug the 3 cables on the same spot as the orginal amp ( 10secs). then re-screw it back (30sec). push the volume noob in (1sec). takes less then 3mins to do. if you can fit two legos together you can put this headamp in your self
tongue.gif

Nov 4, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #87 of 150
Agree with Firevortex.

I did it with a pair of needle-nose pliers (to get the nut off the front of the volume control; Firevortex, shame on you, forgetting that extra 30 seconds!
tongue.gif
) and a screwdriver.

I'm two left thumbs, and was able to do it easily. My 2.5 is brand new, but I listened to it for a couple hours last night with the stock amp and discrete amp. Discrete, to my ears, has tighter deeper bass, slightly better resolution/clarity in the mids, and a more extended top end. Better image placement of instruments and voice with the soundstage. Worth the extra $ to my ears.

I even compared the amp to a Lunch Box amp I'm using. The Lunch Box is KILLER at < $200, and it did clearly show up the Zhaolu discrete amp (more "organic" sounding, a little bigger soundstage). But it told me that, while the Lunch Box can compete with amps 2-3 times the price (I HATE that phrase, but I truly believe it here), the Zhaolu is likely competitive for more than it's price, too.

For those looking for good sound and convenience of the all-in-one, the discrete amp is a very worthy starting point IMO.

Nov 4, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #88 of 150
Hello everybody, let's see if someone could help me out here:

I would like to purchase a Zhaolu 2.5 with all the upgrade bells and whistles. Is Eddie Wu still selling modded Zhaolus? Where could I contact him? Or is there another dealer now? Which upgrades are there and which of them are the best?

Thank you very much.

Nov 4, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #89 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
Hello everybody, let's see if someone could help me out here:

I would like to purchase a Zhaolu 2.5 with all the upgrade bells and whistles. Is Eddie Wu still selling modded Zhaolus? Where could I contact him? Or is there another dealer now? Which upgrades are there and which of them are the best?

Thank you very much.

Here is the info you asked for.Eddie is still selling the Zhaolu's.

http://www.diykits.com.hk/
sales@diykits.com.hk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back