I don't even have a kitty.
eggosmile.gif

Bluff ftw!

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #47 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
edit: sean saves all the kittens
smily_headphones1.gif

He he he. Yeah I commented some time back about it. Hasn't been much discussion about it, I have been very surprised. Easily the best sounding Zhaolu yet!! I have shorted the DC caps and swapped out all opamps for OPA2107. Really digging the CS4398 version. Sounds fantastic!! Everyone who carries them has them in stock it seems. I know iFi is going to update their web site finally tomorrow I believe. Yes it is more expensive but it sounds better to these ears.

Oct 5, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #48 of 150
Sean,

Many thanks for the update!
Given your posts -
Do you consider the 2.5, CS4398 dac without cap bypass mods superior to the 2.0 with cap bypass and the same opamps?

Did you also change the opamp on the PS board to an OPA2107?
What was originally in that position, and how did the swap change the sound?

TIA,
Paul

Oct 5, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #49 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Hasn't been much discussion about it

i think folks are burned out on zhaolue; been on the pedestal for so long

Oct 5, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #50 of 150
Well there is something to be said about it being on the pedistal for so long
eggosmile.gif

Unlike most FOTM.

Anyways, Im definitely buying the Z 2.5 !!

Took a vacation from audio for a month, now I am getting the sickness again... and I was doing so well saving my money....

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #51 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by pmkap
Many thanks for the update!
Given your posts -
Do you consider the 2.5, CS4398 dac without cap bypass mods superior to the 2.0 with cap bypass and the same opamps?

Did you also change the opamp on the PS board to an OPA2107?
What was originally in that position, and how did the swap change the sound?

Hi Paul - In answer to your first question, yes. To me the 2.5 is even more resolved and has even better soundstage depth and is a bit more detailed. Bass seems tighter to me and more detailed. Now, of course we are not talking earth shattering difference, it's not like a night and day thing. The improvements in the 2.5 are appreciable and noticeable but I don't think it's one of those things where I am saying everyone should dump their 2.0 for a 2.5. Simply put I think the performance has been elevated.

I swapped out the opamp on the power supply board as well, with an OPA2107. An OPA2604 was there stock. Honestly I don't know what kind of change that made because I swapped in 2107's in all three positions at the same time. Remember, the 2.5 only has two opamps in the analog section now because the XLR's are gone.

Oct 6, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #52 of 150
i hope i can ask this (tiring) question since i'm in the market again: is the zhaolu+upg.headamp still the best deal around for a budget headphone rig, or are there new dac's in this price range to consider? perhaps with headamps?

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #53 of 150
Sean,

Its good to know that I can recommend a the 2.5 to those unsure of their diy skills ( jumping the signal coupling caps), and just have them swap the opamps. Down the road they could be led to the darkside.
The problem for me was the CS4398 dac in the 2.5 absoulutely required the cap bypass, for good bass response, so I couldn't recommend it to non-Diyers, instead suggesting the AD dac version.

Regards,
Paul

Oct 13, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #54 of 150
Today morning I received Zhaolu 2.5 from customs clearance. Unfortunately I had to go to work (and still sitting in the office), but todays night will be sleepless. Of course volume knob is a little distorted, but it's not a big problem.
580smile.gif

Oct 13, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #55 of 150
Did the 2.0 have a switching power supply, because it looks like this one does.

It would be interesting to find out what they have "improved".

All I can see is no interchangable DAC boards, still using OP Amps, no balanced output. All negatives in my mind for a 3rd generation design.
confused.gif

Oct 13, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #56 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Did the 2.0 have a switching power supply, because it looks like this one does.

It would be interesting to find out what they have "improved".

All I can see is no interchangable DAC boards, still using OP Amps, no balanced output. All negatives in my mind for a 3rd generation design.
confused.gif

They aren't going for balls out design. With the D series DAC's they are merely going for great sound for the dollar. There is one less opamp now in the analog section. The power supply is not a switching type. You think they are just bunch of bumbling idiots that don't know how to go balls out on a DAC? They are shooting for a certain part of the market/budget and if you don't fit this market then why would you give a ****? We know you hate the Zhaolu's, no need to **** on this thread.

Oct 14, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #57 of 150
Quote:

You think they are just bunch of bumbling idiots that don't know how to go balls out on a DAC?

No, that is not what I said. I was merely comparing the 2.0 to the 2.5 and wondering why they made the choices they did. Quote:

We know you hate the Zhaolu's, no need to **** on this thread.

Calm down dumbass... I don't 'hate the Zhaolu'. Have you read my impressions of the stock Zhaolu and the Zapfilter modded unit? I think that the stock Zhaolu is good value for the money, but WAY overhyped. The Zapfilter modded unit I heard was one of the best sources I have ever had the pleasure of listening to.

Oct 14, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #58 of 150
You kids play nice!

Sean you should read his reviews, he's not a Zhaolu hater. He did think the stock D2C to be a bit boring which I have to agree with, but he did give it it's due for the pricepoint.

I think he was just stating that he was surprised at some of the choices for a 3rd generation DAC. I too was a bit surprised to see the lack of balanced outputs. I realise that most consumers won't use them, but I thought they'd carry over. If they are trying to spend money where it'll give the best bang for the buck, and delete some of the features, I'm sure they'll find a market for that.

Oct 14, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #59 of 150
Sorry. Yeah, I sent Philodox a PM to apologize. I don't know, there is feeling that it's become fashionable to bash the Zhaolu DAC's. I hate to see it. I lumped him in. Absolutely amazing for the price. If they were shooting for a market and certain price point I am sure they would do a discrete version and go all out. They are meeting a price point I guess. To me it's very ironic that the Zhaolu's have fallen a bit out of fashion because to me the new 2.5 is simply their best yet. Anyway, I should not care this much. I like it and that is all that really matters. One tends to be passionate I guess. Sorry for the post guys.

Oct 14, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #60 of 150
Quote:

Sorry. Yeah, I sent Philodox a PM to apologize. I don't know, there is feeling that it's become fashionable to bash the Zhaolu DAC's. I hate to see it. I lumped him in. Absolutely amazing for the price. If they were shooting for a market and certain price point I am sure they would do a discrete version and go all out. They are meeting a price point I guess. To me it's very ironic that the Zhaolu's have fallen a bit out of fashion because to me the new 2.5 is simply their best yet. Anyway, I should not care this much. I like it and that is all that really matters. One tends to be passionate I guess. Sorry for the post guys.

Sean, don't feel so bad. Eddie is selling Zhaolu 2.5 with AD1852 for $129!! I've spent more than that for ONE tube in the past..

It is simply unbelievable performance:cost ratio, and it's a blessing for your every-day broke-a## music lover.

After a certain sonic level, many DAC preferences come down to just that: preferences. My preferences happens to coincide nicely with the Ori Zhaolu, and while I KNOW one can achieve more of this or that with DAC A or DAC B, it's saying a lot for me that I no longer crave these DAC's I have loved. BTW, these DAC's I'm talking about usually carry pricetags 10-20X the Ori Zhaolu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back