Zhaolu 2.5
Oct 14, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #61 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Sorry. Yeah, I sent Philodox a PM to apologize. I don't know, there is feeling that it's become fashionable to bash the Zhaolu DAC's. I hate to see it. I lumped him in. Absolutely amazing for the price. If they were shooting for a market and certain price point I am sure they would do a discrete version and go all out. They are meeting a price point I guess. To me it's very ironic that the Zhaolu's have fallen a bit out of fashion because to me the new 2.5 is simply their best yet. Anyway, I should not care this much. I like it and that is all that really matters. One tends to be passionate I guess. Sorry for the post guys.

I think anything that gets a lot of attention is going to get a certain amount of backlash, no matter how good it is. I still think it's an amazing DAC at the pricepoint, and even better, it's a fantastic vehicle for modding. I'm of the opinion that my modded Zhaolu will go tow to tow against some very expensive sources and come out smelling like a rose. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the 2.5, but hope to at a future meet. You'd have to pry my Zhaolu out of my cold dead hand to get me to give it up.

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #62 of 150
I think it's good that they dropped the balanced out. Next they need to get rid of the headphone jack and I'll be interested. It seems like a nice DAC but I don't need a DAC with a headphone jack.

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #63 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
I think it's good that they dropped the balanced out. Next they need to get rid of the headphone jack and I'll be interested. It seems like a nice DAC but I don't need a DAC with a headphone jack.

I tend to agree really. A built in headphone amp is good for the section of the population who doesn't want to use a dedicated amplifier.. but how much of the population of external DAC buyers wouldn't use an external amp? Seems like a strange choice really

If it would drop the price (or keep the price the same but add more money to the dac section) i'd really like to see the headamp section removed

Oct 15, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #65 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
I tend to agree really. A built in headphone amp is good for the section of the population who doesn't want to use a dedicated amplifier.. but how much of the population of external DAC buyers wouldn't use an external amp? Seems like a strange choice really

If it would drop the price (or keep the price the same but add more money to the dac section) i'd really like to see the headamp section removed

In reply to my own post...

I did once use the preout (which uses the headphone amp) to help control a subwoofer once, for what it's worth. Still, It's generally not much use to me personally

Nonetheless, the zhaolu is pretty great as it is. I haven't heard the 2.5 yet though. I hope some more people post impressions of it

Oct 15, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #66 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
I think anything that gets a lot of attention is going to get a certain amount of backlash, no matter how good it is. I still think it's an amazing DAC at the pricepoint, and even better, it's a fantastic vehicle for modding. I'm of the opinion that my modded Zhaolu will go tow to tow against some very expensive sources and come out smelling like a rose. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the 2.5, but hope to at a future meet. You'd have to pry my Zhaolu out of my cold dead hand to get me to give it up.

Amen!!!
wink.gif

Of course most of the bashing was aimed at me and the zhaolu in the beginning.

I think most of those people have gotten beyond that now.If not it's just there lost .

Oct 15, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #67 of 150
Glad to hear you are liking your 2.5 Sean, and thanks for the PM.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think that given the fact that you can still choose the AD or CS chip and the reduced price I may have been too harsh in my judgement. Especially if it sounds better. Besides, if I was planning on using this as a balanced source you had better believe I would be replacing the output stage... and the ZapFilter has balanced outputs.
cool.gif

Oct 16, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #68 of 150
I tend to agree with the last several posts. I had no need for the switching or the amp sections. And philodox makes a good point about the Zapfilter having balanced out capabilities. It's a very nice DAC stock. Choose to add the Zapfilter2 and you're in very High End territory. That just leaves the question of how to fill those empty holes in the faceplate
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 16, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #69 of 150
Quote:

On the other hand, I definitely wouldn't have bought a standalone DAC if it didn't have the amp in it. The main reason I bought the Zhaolu is because it had the amp in it. At first I was going to build my own amp but then realized that it would be a lot more worthwhile to buy the Zhaolu instead.

The upgraded amp in it doesn't seem to have any trouble driving my headphones, but I haven't had anything to compare it to. I do know that I saved myself a lot of money though.

Oct 16, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #70 of 150
Quote:

how much of the population of external DAC buyers wouldn't use an external amp?

ME; in fact the upgraded discreet headamp is THE main reason i'm looking to get a zhaolu; it seems like quite a value

Oct 16, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #71 of 150
I would just like to add some feedback to this thread. I've been using the 2.5C with discrete amp for about 4 days non-stop, burning it in. I got the discrete amp, basically, because it was available and wanted to experiment with different sources and amps. My plan was to get the 2.5C to use with my DVP642 and I was looking into the Stello and X-Can to pair with my 595. Right now, I have put my future DAC and amp purchases on hold. Why? Because this 2.5C sounds damn good. From my entry level phones that are easily driveable, the discrete does it's job quite nice. After a few hours, I hooked up my Xenos 3HA to the Zhaolu, went optical with the 595 and coax with the 642, friend brought over some HD580's and HD600's and after that, I knew that this was the setup that I wanted. Shortly thereafter, I ordered some HD580's and I intend to enjoy this setup for a good while.
I bought the 2.5C because of all the good reviews I read on the 2.0 here. It is my first DAC and I have nothing to compare it to, only that it does its job rather nice.
In reference to the addition of the discrete, I made the right decision in adding it, IMO of course. It gives me the flexibility that when I want to remove the Xenos, I still have an amp to enjoy on the DAC...

Jes

Oct 26, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #73 of 150
Hi
I've got Zhaolu almost two weeks, and I'm still amazed of sound quality. During first four days I've used Zhaolu with old Philips CD360 and HD580, but after that i decided to put it into my "full sized system" - Densen DM-10, tweaked Yamaha CDX-396 (BB OPA2604 + precize clock) and Audio Academy Hyperion II speakers. The effect was superb
biggrin.gif
At least, now I can listen to the music by headphones in living room or even wath TV with audiophile sound quality (I've got optical out in my satelite receiver).
ps. I'm one from 8 polish audiophiles who decided to buy Zhaolu without listening (only after reading Head-Fi and opinnion of Our Friend Mad_z from www.audiostereo.pl ). And I'm happy to meet other Zhaolu fans here.
580smile.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #74 of 150
by the way I compared Zhaolu with AudioNemesis DC-1 DAC and Zhaolu in my opinion is more neutral and has more life. Audionemesis was too polite and played with too subtle treble.
580smile.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #75 of 150
Fr@ntz, I like your avatar... don't think that's something I would openly advertise though.
wink.gif

Anyway, I read earlier in this forum that the discrete headamp came stock with the D2.5. Is this true or did I misread something. I was just wondering because iFi still offers the discrete amp with the D2.5 for $50 extra. Why would they do this if it comes stock?

There must have been a misunderstanding I just breezed over in my reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back