Zhaolu 2.5
Nov 4, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #91 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firevortex
blink.gif
all you have to do is pull the volume noob off (took me 1sec), unscrew two screws at the bottom (30sec), re-plug the 3 cables on the same spot as the orginal amp ( 10secs). then re-screw it back (30sec). push the volume noob in (1sec). takes less then 3mins to do. if you can fit two legos together you can put this headamp in your self
tongue.gif

Heheh, I know, thats why I said it would most probably be really easy. I guess I just don't want to open the casing right away (call me whimsical
rs1smile.gif
). I'll probably end up opening it anyways and fiddling with it. Bah.
blink.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #93 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagstyle
Are these the DC blocking caps? (circled in red)

Yes. While you're at it, swap the 2 analog board opamps for OPA2107AP for resolution and extention with a small bit of warmth, or a LM4562NA from National Semiconductor for the even better resolution and extention without that scootch of warmth.

Nov 18, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #94 of 150
I've been trying to listen to my DVD-A through optical S/PDIF going to the Zhaolu D2.5A and nothing comes out through to the headphones? Am I missing something? Can I only go through Coax? Do I need to manually flip a switch in the DAC?

Nov 18, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #95 of 150
does the mute flash when in optical? if so there's no signal. try coax see if it works.

Nov 19, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #96 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does the mute flash when in optical? if so there's no signal. try coax see if it works.

Bah, I figured it out. The Audigy 2 ZS turns off optical S/PDIF when DRM technology is present on disc (DVD-A). I'll have to go to my external DVD player to play my DVD-A. I'll have to move my DAC around a bit
rs1smile.gif

Nov 19, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #98 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by pmkap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. While you're at it, swap the 2 analog board opamps for OPA2107AP for resolution and extention with a small bit of warmth, or a LM4562NA from National Semiconductor for the even better resolution and extention without that scootch of warmth.

Do you know where can I get those opamps?

Nov 19, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #99 of 150
Man, that signature just takes over... and I'm at 1680x1050 resolution.
blink.gif

Nov 19, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #100 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by westies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just how much of a difference would it make to get one of Eddie Wu's Zhaolu D2.5Cs? Ifiaudio have a sale on right now so I'm very tempted to get one from them instead.

I'm not familiar with the PA2V2 so I can't tell you if it would be an improvement over the headphone amp that you can find in the Zhaolu.

I think the unit is worth the money overall (of course I'm listening to D2.5A right now but I'll be listening to D2.5C soon enough). I can already tell you that the D2.5A makes a big difference. Sound is crisp and as somebody else already noted, it is an absolute joy to listen to music and instruments emerge from and fade into nothingness (I use the RS-1/Zhaolu Combo). The thing is the Zhaolu is not a headphones amp, it's mostly a DAC with a little extra (headphones amp). If you get the DAC, It would probably be a good idea to get the discrete headphone amp upgrade so that you don't loose ground over your PA2V2.

Nov 19, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #101 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, that signature just takes over... and I'm at 1680x1050 resolution.
blink.gif

Yeah, I'll probably shrink it down, don't worry. I'm experimenting with different formats to make things as easy to read as possible.

Nov 19, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #102 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Condor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not familiar with the PA2V2 so I can't tell you if it would be an improvement over the headphone amp that you can find in the Zhaolu.

I think the unit is worth the money overall (of course I'm listening to D2.5A right now but I'll be listening to D2.5C soon enough). I can already tell you that the D2.5A makes a big difference. Sound is crisp and as somebody else already noted, it is an absolute joy to listen to music and instruments emerge from and fade into nothingness (I use the RS-1/Zhaolu Combo). The thing is the Zhaolu is not a headphones amp, it's mostly a DAC with a little extra (headphones amp). If you get the DAC, It would probably be a good idea to get the discrete headphone amp upgrade so that you don't loose ground over your PA2V2.

Sorry for not clarifying. I meant, "How much of a difference would it be to get Eddie Wu's upgraded D2.5C over a stock D2.5C from ifiaudio?"

Nov 20, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #103 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by westies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for not clarifying. I meant, "How much of a difference would it be to get Eddie Wu's upgraded D2.5C over a stock D2.5C from ifiaudio?"

Ahhhh!!. That I don't know hehehe
rs1smile.gif

Nov 20, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #104 of 150
Hey anyone knows what the difference is between analog out and phone out on the Zhaolu? I don't understand what the difference could be

Nov 20, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #105 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Condor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey anyone knows what the difference is between analog out and phone out on the Zhaolu? I don't understand what the difference could be

The "analog-out" is straight from the DAC's analog output, fixed in level. The "phone-out" is a signal from the headphone amp and so this output is volume controlled and essentially let's you use the Zhaolu as a preamp with an external amplifier. I use it with a Parasound ZAMP amplifer and Paradigm Atom speakers in an office setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back