Zero or Super Pro 707 DAC?
May 18, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only thing I don't like about the 707 is the three cheap RCA's. When I find something else that fits I will change them out.

Agreed. In mine I have simply removed the line out ones and soldered one end of some short Kimber Cable (GQ-Mini) interconnects directly to the board...

edit- I also did other mods: removed the useless muting transistors, changed two SMD caps in the signal path with polypropylenes, changed the power supply electrolytics to Panasonic FM and Sanyo Os-Con of larger value (but 16V voltage, since I only power mine with 12V), removed a reverse polarity protection diode which caused a slight voltage drop, changed opamp with two (wonderful) LT1028 soldered on a Browndog, and maybe something else I forgot. It's amazing souding (using the digital coaxial input which sounds better than the optical). BTW I'm using a 1A 12V linear regulated power supply, not the supplied 12V switching one (which sounded good anyway).

May 18, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by latershow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read that battery power brings the best performance out of the SuperPro (non-USB), and its recommended not to use the external power supply provided.

Would anyone be kind enough to provide some comparisons?

It's not that it's recommended not to use it, just that a battery or a better power supply would be better. The one I use brought a fuller more dynamic sound.

edit- I don't like the idea of a battery that slowly discharges.....

May 18, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tb311 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Penchum. I have read your review on the Zero and I was wondering how does it sound by itself without using the MKV? I currently only have the funds to buy a good DAC and I have to wait a few more months until I can actually get the MKV so thats one reason Im compelled to get the Zero so it can hold me over until then. Also what opamps would you recommend for the Zero for use with the MKV?

I don't want to step all over this thread, so I'll just give a quick answer. The Zero with Opamps changes, makes a great way to listen and save at the same time. Many are doing this very thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to step all over this thread, so I'll just give a quick answer. The Zero with Opamps changes, makes a great way to listen and save at the same time. Many are doing this very thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

I bet that the same thing would happen of the Super Pro 707 or of the DIYEDEN SVDAC05, if only those had found a bold spokesman like you. How advertising-dependent can we be
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bond /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW I'm using a 1A 12V linear regulated power supply, not the supplied 12V switching one (which sounded good anyway).

Bond, can you tell me where you picked up your linear power supply and what model? I'd like to order one for the DAC707 that I just ordered.

Thanks
Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back