Zero or Super Pro 707 DAC?
May 16, 2008 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Tb311

100+ Head-Fier
I like the Zero and I probably would have gotten it already if weren't for the fact that its lacking a USB input. I will use my desktop pc as my source and it does have an optical out so I don't really need the USB but it would be nice to have. So which one would be a better source for the MKV? Are there any other DAC that I should look at? I also want to keep it under $200.

May 17, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 23
Hi, i'm also wondering how these desktop compare to portables e.g. predator/pico?

May 17, 2008 at 10:40 AM Post #4 of 23
I'm looking at the Super Pro 707 too. Would this be a good complement for a Little Dot MKV??

The other question I had is about the inputs. With the zero there is a source select on the front of the unit which I assume switches between the coax and optical.

On the Super Pro DAC 707 there's actually USB, Optical and Coax. Is there a switch to select what the input is? What happens if all three are connected - what input would the 707 use? Or is this a matter of unplugging/plugging stuff in all the time...

Also, what does the "Mic" port on the Super Pro DAC 707 do? I didn't see it on the specification list of any websites that sell it.

May 17, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tb311 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the Zero and I probably would have gotten it already if weren't for the fact that its lacking a USB input. I will use my desktop pc as my source and it does have an optical out so I don't really need the USB but it would be nice to have. So which one would be a better source for the MKV? Are there any other DAC that I should look at? I also want to keep it under $200.

Hey Tb311,

I highly recommend the Zero using your existing optical connection. With a few Opamp changes, you can maximize the Zero's output, which works extremely well (great synergy) with the MKV. I have this setup and it is very dynamic! This should also save you some coin, so you can buy some more music.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 23
Thanks Penchum. I have read your review on the Zero and I was wondering how does it sound by itself without using the MKV? I currently only have the funds to buy a good DAC and I have to wait a few more months until I can actually get the MKV so thats one reason Im compelled to get the Zero so it can hold me over until then. Also what opamps would you recommend for the Zero for use with the MKV?

May 17, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 23
I haven't heard either, so I'm totally unqualified to answer the question. I won't try. I'll just say that if I were thinking about buying a DAC and didn't need USB (which you don't) and didn't need a headphone amp in my DAC (which you don't), I'd do this:

Look at the components inside the $79 non-USB Super DAC.

Look at the components inside the $299 HeadRoom micro DAC.

For $79, it's worth a shot. Send it back if you don't like it, but there's a really good chance this is an awful lot of DAC for the money.

Tim

May 17, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bananas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, look at the components inside...and forget my advice at all
biggrin.gif

Just trying to provide you with a little data backup there bananas.
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't doubt for a minute that the Super DAC is exceptional for the $. Heck, I don't doubt that it's just plain exceptional. I intend to get on in here one of these days. In the meantime, I'm sliding by with one of those mediocre Burr-Brown 270Xs though. When I get a Super DAC, I'll be really curious as to whether or not I can hear any kind of substantive differnce. All my content is ripped CDs - 16 bit, of course. And I'm not at all convinced that there is much of an audible difference from one decent 16-bit DAC to the next.

Tim

May 17, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bananas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing to say, is that the Super Pro converts the USB data to analog via its superb sounding CS4398 DAC, as opposed to the many USB dac/amps of these times that use the mediocre BB PCM270x or similar.

The SuperPro does convert USB data into S/PDIF with a CM108. Which is also used in cheap $10 USB soundcards. And it's only 44.1/48KHz.

May 17, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 23
how does the SUPER DAC compare with the pico/predator's dac?

May 18, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #12 of 23
I have been using the DAC707 for about half a year now. I don't have the Pico or Predator to compare but its much more better than the DAC in the D2 and Headstage. It is 24v powered so its output is quit higher then the two portables. Just that alone seems to provide more detail. A tad brighter than the portables but cleaner bass also.

May 18, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #13 of 23
Do you need any extra psu or heat mat to accompany them?
I hear that they get hot. that looks beautiful, is it metal or plastic?

May 18, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been using the DAC707 for about half a year now. I don't have the Pico or Predator to compare but its much more better than the DAC in the D2 and Headstage. It is 24v powered so its output is quit higher then the two portables. Just that alone seems to provide more detail. A tad brighter than the portables but cleaner bass also.

Not bad! I though it had better bass and midrange than the Zero DAC, as well. Sounds like a little champion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back