Zero DAC/Schiit Valhalla/HD650 (A newbie's review)
Dec 8, 2010 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

orbv12

New Head-Fier
I have recently ordered three items for my first audio setup: the Zero DAC/AMP, the Schiit Valhallla, and a pair of Sennheiser HD650s. I wanted to catalog my experience in receiving all these and give a review from a new listener's experience.

The Research:

Most of my research came from these forums. I was looking for something that would fit my budget pretty well and think that I made a fairly good decision. I didn't really want to spend over $900 and ended up only spending $850. The Zero was very well received when it first came out. I have heard of some QC issues, but those seem to slimmed down in frequency since the 2009 version was released. The Valhalla is a newer product and I was a little skeptical as there are few reviews here on the site. After speaking with Jason from Schiit, I felt confident in my purchase decision. He was very kind and responsive to all of my questions. I feel the Valhalla is a perfect amp for me to start out on. I chose the HD650s because of the value and the overwhelming amount of positive reviews that these cans have. I have also gotten a chance to listen to them on a DC337. I really enjoyed the sound experience and cannot wait to have mine arrive.

The Shipping\Unboxing:

The headphones and Zero DAC both shipped on Sunday, December 5, 2010. The Zero is coming from China via DHL and the headphones are coming from Minnesota via FedEx. The expected arrival date of the Zero was anywhere between Dec. 21, 2010 to Jan. 3, 2011. DHL had this shipped to my house by Dec. 7, 2010. This really shocked me. The DAC from China got here before the headphones that were in the same country. A huge +1 to DHL and wsz0304 (the vendor on eBay). I ordered the amp on Dec. 6, 2010. Jason dropped it off to UPS within the same day. The amp and headphones are scheduled to arrive on Dec. 9, 2010.

Initial Review:

Coming soon.

Dec 8, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 13

Quote:

Initial Review:

Coming soon.

Such a tease...
frown.gif

I will look forward to it! congrats for the buy! 

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 13
nice, keep us posted. i am really enjoying my HD650's. i have listened to them every single day in the two weeks i have had them. i can't get enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back