Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Nov 24, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #4,381 of 6,090
  I actually think that the Tenore was the only FOTM headphone that lived up to the hype. I liked the soundstage way more than the havi b3, mid and treble were so smooth and yet detailed. Even the fit was the best I've ever experienced from any headphone, even customs. Too bad that I managed to break two pairs.

Hmm lot of quality issues out there crippling tenores. I have some crafty and easy procedures to secure the joints. I'll post those as I'll performing the 'Preventive Surgery' on tenores. Will post the pics and procedure here.

I actually still have my very first good IEMs in good condition after 4 years (albeit performed the 'Surgery' occasionally). And also managed to keep that Klipsch (Read: Worst cable ever) still working.

Good choice on the tenore. Just compared both tenore and basso through an AK240 on a few different high def tracks yesterday. The basso is definitely a tenore with enhanced bass - it's missing too much details to be engaging.

What omg you have AK240?? That's like a dream to me lol so darn expensive. Heck I'm still struggling to buy my first headphone amp Q_Q
Thanks for the info. I guess I made the correct choice here.... can't wait to try : ) 

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #4,382 of 6,090
  Hmm lot of quality issues out there crippling tenores. I have some crafty and easy procedures to secure the joints. I'll post those as I'll performing the 'Preventive Surgery' on tenores. Will post the pics and procedure here.

I actually still have my very first good IEMs in good condition after 4 years (albeit performed the 'Surgery' occasionally). And also managed to keep that Klipsch (Read: Worst cable ever) still working.

What omg you have AK240?? That's like a dream to me lol so darn expensive. Heck I'm still struggling to buy my first headphone amp Q_Q
Thanks for the info. I guess I made the correct choice here.... can't wait to try : ) 

Its not the cable or the joint, its randomly appearing channel imbalance and/or the complete death of a single channel not related to the cable.

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #4,383 of 6,090
Its not the cable or the joint, its randomly appearing channel imbalance and/or the complete death of a single channel not related to the cable.
in that case.... I just pray xD

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #4,384 of 6,090
The build as The main culprit of its downfall. The cable joint is the reason the channel imbalances occur, you just want see it cause sometimes it just happens inside

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #4,385 of 6,090

I agree. I don't think it's the cable joint. It happened on my 1st and 2nd pair, with hardly any hours on the 2nd pair at least, and no strain on the cable at all. It would just magically happen.

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #4,386 of 6,090
I agree. I don't think it's the cable joint. It happened on my 1st and 2nd pair, with hardly any hours on the 2nd pair at least, and no strain on the cable at all. It would just magically happen.

Lol I haven't even received my pair yet and I already want replacements for Tenors if they fail. I'll ask that here eventually, but which IEM people prefer after a failed tenor? Any general trend?

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #4,387 of 6,090
  Lol I haven't even received my pair yet and I already want replacements for Tenors if they fail. I'll ask that here eventually, but which IEM people prefer after a failed tenor? Any general trend?

The Audio-Technica ATH-IM70 or the Ostry KC06A would be a couple of good choices.

But don't give up on the Tenors -- my first pair is still working perfectly.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #4,388 of 6,090

The Audio-Technica ATH-IM70 or the Ostry KC06A would be a couple of good choices.

But don't give up on the Tenors -- my first pair is still working perfectly.

Thanks dude and yeah! I won't give up on Tenors : ) 

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #4,390 of 6,090

Quote:

I don't have the im70's, but I can concur regarding the kc06a's. Not only do they sound great, they are very easy to drive and sound goof off of phones or low powered daps.

I'd also suggest the Havi B3 pro1's. They sound awesome but you need an amp (they are hard to drive and scale very well to more power). Less bass than the kc06a's, but larger/deeper soundstage.

And many people like the Vsonic VSD3S's, and I've read some really great things about the Fidue A71's for $99 as well.

Edit: the kc06a's are on sale for $50 at the site that previously could not be named lol

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #4,391 of 6,090
All of my three pairs are still working fine.
smile_phones.gif

Once again fyi, here's my breakdown (pun intended :wink: of known Tenore issues:

AFAIK there are three possible issues:

- FR anomalies (most frequently: too much bass): as idsy says, due to variations in the driver's back vent damping. Major issue, needs invasive mod to fix.
- Cable sheath coming off at the strain relief: minor issue (imo, since cable itself isn't affected). Simply glue the sheath back on.
- TTS (sudden volume drop in one or both channels): likely due to moisture condensation. Replace the filter mesh with a small piece of cotton wool.

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #4,392 of 6,090
I received a pair of Tenore yesterday which I bought out of blue while waiting on Heaven II order. Oh boy, these are actually worth the hype! I immediately noticed they sound less congested than M-Duo, which is a dual-driver. Slightly warm, with mids a bit recessed, but the high has a tiny bit of emphasis and that makes it fun to listen to female vocals with (Listening to Pharrell the vocal is a bit underwhelming, but Regina Spektor sounds amazing on them). The bass is my favorite part: It extends really, really far down and gets out of the way out fast enough for my taste. I need to crank up the volume to listen to these compared to other earphones I own, and the cable isn't anything exciting (moderately prone to microphonics), but those are the only shortcomings I can come up with at the moment. For me these are the keeper especially for female vocals.

Nov 28, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #4,395 of 6,090

Read this post for a likely explanation. Four months ago, it was little more than guesswork on my part, but since then several people have confirmed that the treatment works.

yes james, thanks to you and guys who put the deep thought into it in this thread.. now i can rockin' with tenore again.. you guys are awesome, thanks..!!!
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back