Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Jul 23, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #3,841 of 6,090
Dita, the answer is the first iem I've heard that come with tips of different bore sizes, and state that they change sound signature.  It's about time.  As there website states regarding the tips:

Accessories
  1. 3 Pairs Small Bore Tips S/M/L (sweeter highs)
  2. 3 Pairs Medium Bore Tips S/M/L (reference tuning)
  3. 3 Pairs Large Bore Tips S/M/L (airier highs)

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #3,843 of 6,090

So I've been listening to the tenore today vs. the kc06. It's interesting. I definitely have been hearing what some people described in the past about soft treble or not dynamic or lifelike. Only relatively speaking that is, as the tenore is superb in any configuration. But I had been using the stock tips for a while now because they have been fitting really well. However, they fit well in a medium/shallow depth. I switched back to the smallish mh1 tips that are narrow or long proportion-wise. These allow me to wear them a bit more shallow with a full seal. I always thought the mh1 tips made things bassier, but that's because they always fit so nicely that I pushed them in to a medium depth or so. Needless to say, the mh1 tips are now my favorite bar none. The slightly more shallow fit not only slightly lowers the bass to how I used to remember it, but it makes the treble sound almost perfectly linear.

I now compare them directly to the kc06 and the treble doesn't sound very soft in comparison like the stock tips were for me. In fact, it's fairly comparable to the kc06 in depth and distinction, but it's more linear overall from bass to treble. Wow. I remember hyping the hell out of these because they were er4s linearity with a bit more sub bass (which to me is perfect). But as time went on I swore my set got bassier. But I think my tenore tips must have been softening and i was pushing them in deeper over time? Not sure. They lately don't fit perfectly shallow for me and required too much messing around to get the best sound without pushing them in a little further. The mh1 fits very nicely shallower without this hassle. Super awesome! :p I still love the kc06, but I was only really digging them because they were offering me more dynamic sounding clarity. The tenores now are comparable in that regard!

The moral of the story is that tips are crucial. Even comparing them side by side I never really noticed a "huge" difference. But now that I've been exclusively using the stock tips I had become very familiar with the overall tone. And even though a direct comparison still isn't drastic, as I listen to a song overall it becomes quickly apparent how open and more distinct treble details are. So I think one key of the tenore is definitely good tip fit/seal and probably as shallow as is reasonably possible if you have similar ears to mine. I could see how different ear lengths could make these simply never sound the same across users. I'l try to eq eq to demonstrate the tip changes to my ears later if I have a chance...

The Tenore treble sounds better to my ears no matter the tips, the KC06 is well extended but it has peaks that affect the tonality. Where the KC06 trounces the Tenore is in speed, attack transients are a sore point with the Tenores and a highlight with the KC06. The difference is really noticeable in the low end, especially with percussion instruments. It's what makes the KC06 sound more dynamic and impactfull compared to the laid back Tenore.

I completely agree, even about the treble. However, the kc06 compared to stock tenore tips for me just sounds more lifelike and realistic, with the differences you noted, while not bothering me at all. The peaks aren't prominent to me, but the dip is a bit more. However, it's possibly one of the least offensive dip/peak combos i've ever heard. When you listen to music for a bit and don't think about it, it's surprisingly good to my ears. However, the tenore in a proper tip configuration is easily more reference in response and close in the other specs. However, the kc06 still has something nice about the attack/dynamics that I love. But I'd take the tenore with mh1 tips if I had to choose. Luckily, at $50-60 each I don't have to choose! :p I'm keeping them both.

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #3,844 of 6,090
  Dita, the answer is the first iem I've heard that come with tips of different bore sizes, and state that they change sound signature.  It's about time.  As there website states regarding the tips:

Accessories
  1. 3 Pairs Small Bore Tips S/M/L (sweeter highs)
  2. 3 Pairs Medium Bore Tips S/M/L (reference tuning)
  3. 3 Pairs Large Bore Tips S/M/L (airier highs)

The kc06 has this as well. They even show the difference in tip response as a graph on the package. ;-P

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #3,845 of 6,090
KC06 by the way, sound best with long tips, Meelec M-Duo small triflanges or the big Hifiman double flanges. Makes it smoother like the Tenore. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #3,846 of 6,090
  So I've been listening to the tenore today vs. the kc06. It's interesting. I definitely have been hearing what some people described in the past about soft treble or not dynamic or lifelike. Only relatively speaking that is, as the tenore is superb in any configuration. But I had been using the stock tips for a while now because they have been fitting really well. However, they fit well in a medium/shallow depth. I switched back to the smallish mh1 tips that are narrow or long proportion-wise. These allow me to wear them a bit more shallow with a full seal. I always thought the mh1 tips made things bassier, but that's because they always fit so nicely that I pushed them in to a medium depth or so. Needless to say, the mh1 tips are now my favorite bar none. The slightly more shallow fit not only slightly lowers the bass to how I used to remember it, but it makes the treble sound almost perfectly linear.

I now compare them directly to the kc06 and the treble doesn't sound very soft in comparison like the stock tips were for me. In fact, it's fairly comparable to the kc06 in depth and distinction, but it's more linear overall from bass to treble. Wow. I remember hyping the hell out of these because they were er4s linearity with a bit more sub bass (which to me is perfect). But as time went on I swore my set got bassier. But I think my tenore tips must have been softening and i was pushing them in deeper over time? Not sure. They lately don't fit perfectly shallow for me and required too much messing around to get the best sound without pushing them in a little further. The mh1 fits very nicely more shallow without this hassle. Super awesome! :p I still love the kc06, but I was only really digging them because they were offering me more dynamic sounding clarity. The tenores now are comparable in that regard!

The moral of the story is that tips are crucial. Even comparing them side by side I never really noticed a "huge" difference. But now that I've been exclusively using the stock tips I had become very familiar with the overall tone. And even though a direct comparison still isn't drastic, as I listen to a song overall it becomes quickly apparent how open and more distinct treble details are. So I think one key of the tenore is definitely good tip fit/seal and probably as shallow as is reasonably possible if you have similar ears to mine. I could see how different ear lengths could make these simply never sound the same across users. I'l try to eq eq to demonstrate the tip changes to my ears later if I have a chance...

Yeah? Well wait until you try the mh1c tips on the kc06's... and then watch the kc06 lead stretch yet again! Lol - just kidding.

Seriously though, I've been using the stock tips on the tenores and the stock tips on the kc06's, and have been feeling the same way. Once my ears got accustomed to the tenores, I'm very happy. But I know that once I switched back to the kc06's, I'd be hearing a more dynamic sound that appeals to me more.

So your post is timely... time to dig out the mh1c tips and to try them on the tenores again! Thanks.

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #3,848 of 6,090
  KC06 by the way, sound best with long tips, Meelec M-Duo small triflanges or the big Hifiman double flanges. Makes it smoother like the Tenore. 

Yes, i would get treble fatigue before switching to the meelec biflanges. They have a slightly smaller bore than the default tips that attenuates the treble, and due to their length i can actually get a seal with them which also increases sub bass response. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #3,849 of 6,090
I hope i'll hear that sub bass you are all speaking of when my meelec bi-flanges arrive. I get a quite decent fit with standard tips i think, but there is still depth missing, which makes the Tenore not that engaging to me. Mid bass is present and sufficient though.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #3,850 of 6,090
I hope i'll hear that sub bass you are all speaking of when my meelec bi-flanges arrive. I get a quite decent fit with standard tips i think, but there is still depth missing, which makes the Tenore not that engaging to me. Mid bass is present and sufficient for my ears though.

The Tenores are sub bass monsters, they are loud even at 20hz, what you are probably missing is impact. The biflanges help with that but only if you go for a shallow insertion. The Tenore benefits from longer flanges because they increase the distance between the transducer and the eardrum, which decreases bass reverberations that tend to smear all over the transients, making it sound even slower than it actually is.

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #3,853 of 6,090
The Tenore treble sounds better to my ears no matter the tips, the KC06 is well extended but it has peaks that affect the tonality. Where the KC06 trounces the Tenore is in speed, attack transients are a sore point with the Tenores and a highlight with the KC06. The difference is really noticeable in the low end, especially with percussion instruments. It's what makes the KC06 sound more dynamic and impactfull compared to the laid back Tenore.

Man I feel like asking my niece for a her KC06 and focus on this.

Rub them gently with a damp (not wet though) cloth, preferably some short of towel. I don't think there are replacement filters for it so take care of them. 

ispropyl alcohol?

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #3,855 of 6,090
I hope i'll hear that sub bass you are all speaking of when my meelec bi-flanges arrive. I get a quite decent fit with standard tips i think, but there is still depth missing, which makes the Tenore not that engaging to me. Mid bass is present and sufficient though.

The same for me here, and I don't think Meelec bi-flange would change anything, bass rumble is normal. The best tips I found for my ears are medium size bi-flange (smaller than meelec) with medium bore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back