Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Jul 21, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #3,781 of 6,090
I teresting. I have a bad case of cable failure coming up i'm guessing. If anyone remembers the set i superglued in an attempt to lower the bass... Well look at this.

Not the best photo, but the cable has come out of the housing a good amount. You can see the glue is lower down the cable. I can also easily push the cable back into the housing,

Here's my issue... I've barely used these. I have been using my other set. These haven't been slept on, yanked or anything. Just gently used and gently wrapped and stored in their pouch. That doesn't seem good to me. It also shows that the superglue obviously didn't get into the groove or bond well. Cheap crap.

Pretty much the same that happened on my first (then borrowed) pair:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/665111/zero-audio-zh-dx200-carbo-tenore-zh-dx210-carbo-basso-carbon-aluminium-iem-information-appreciation-and-impressions-thread/2610#post_10627054

Though, after having seen the inside, I can tell you that's only the cable isolation coming lose from the strain relief. Just push it back and secure it with glue again.

Thanks James, we finally know what causes the variations!

How much less bassy are we talking about with blu-tack? Are they neutral or bass light? Is there any effect on the soundstage? Have you tried it with your drums test track?

Too bass light to warrant further tests. I'd rather concentrate my efforts on finding a happy medium. So far I've tried varying amounts of cotton wool, but the result has always been too bassy.

I need to try something with higher acoustic resistance next.

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #3,782 of 6,090

Pretty much the same that happened on my first (then borrowed) pair:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/665111/zero-audio-zh-dx200-carbo-tenore-zh-dx210-carbo-basso-carbon-aluminium-iem-information-appreciation-and-impressions-thread/2610#post_10627054

Though, after having seen the inside, I can tell you that's only the cable isolation coming lose from the strain relief. Just push it back and secure it with glue again.

Too bass light to warrant further tests. I'd rather concentrate my efforts on finding a happy medium. So far I've tried varying amounts of cotton wool, but the result has always been too bassy.

I need to try something with higher acoustic resistance next.

You could also try the blu-tack trick with a little hole at the center.

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #3,783 of 6,090
I just received my new pair of Tenore from white rabbit. Burning in right now, to settle that unruly bass they have out of the box. Though upon spending 30 minutes with them, I found no TTS. This looks promising that ordering from white rabbit establishes a good stock from Japan? I'll keep you posted as I spend more time with them.

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #3,786 of 6,090
  Would you consider this album a reference burn in album? Do you use this album to burn in all of your IEM's?

Aren't you being a bit...TOO picky about the burn in thing? It's not like your earphones are going to desintegrate if you use a lower quality file, or another type of music
tongue.gif

Burn In is just supposed to be a "workout" for the driver to make it more flexible and stuff...

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #3,787 of 6,090
Yep. This is my standard burn in with music track. I also use JLab Burn In (google JLab Burn In), but as a rule, this is the track I use for all my burn in needs.

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #3,788 of 6,090
Hi!

Looking to buy these- I'm trying to dig into this thread but I just can't. There's so much!

I see a ton of posts on 'different' pairs from different places. Are the Amazon ones safe? I'd like to order them from there if possible. I'd use Tenso too, I'm assuming! Also I'd prefer the not bassy pairs if possible. 

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #3,789 of 6,090
Hi!

Looking to buy these- I'm trying to dig into this thread but I just can't. There's so much!

I see a ton of posts on 'different' pairs from different places. Are the Amazon ones safe? I'd like to order them from there if possible. I'd use Tenso too, I'm assuming! Also I'd prefer the not bassy pairs if possible. 

Thanks!

Order yours from white rabbit express. You'll be safe that way.

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #3,791 of 6,090
Thanks! Is there a difference from different vendors? 

Yeah. I got my old ones through eBay and they weren't stable. Amazon seemed to have the same issues. From my research through this thread, those who went through white rabbit express and amazon jp seemed to have less incidences of TTS, and lo and behold, I've spent all day with my Tenore, and they are playing amazing and behaving perfectly.

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #3,792 of 6,090
Yeah. I got my old ones through eBay and they weren't stable. Amazon seemed to have the same issues. From my research through this thread, those who went through white rabbit express and amazon jp seemed to have less incidences of TTS, and lo and behold, I've spent all day with my Tenore, and they are playing amazing and behaving perfectly.

Thanks!

Forgive me for this, but how do I work White Rabbit? I see Amazon with them at 3509 Yen but WR's is 4980 Yen.

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #3,794 of 6,090
  Finally got myself a magnifier lamp and things are looking a lot better now...

Test #2: covered the entire vent with blu-tack. Vent is completely closed. Result: my blu-tacked "bassy" pair sounds significantly less bassy now than my "reference" pair.

You can use some thick felt (3mm). You can use paper punch to get them accurate for both sides.
You can also try Twaron angel hair.

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #3,795 of 6,090
Hey for those who might be interested or wants to try these I'm selling my Zero Audio Doppio dual balanced armature. Brand new. Don't have to use a forwarding service ect. PM me if interested.

Headfi won't let me post on the for sale forum. Don't know why? Anyways...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back