Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Jul 7, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #3,362 of 6,090

Also, just a theory, but all these imbalances and differences. Is it possible that people's ears become warm and moist and cause blockage in the filter/mesh/damper? I'm not talking about sweat. I'm talking about basic moisture. These things are micro small components. ZA even said a damper could cause bass variance. Perhaps the moisture causes a block in the damper or some internal component and starts dropping the volume or changing the response?? It would explain why they "get better" after a while or after a break. It could explain the bassy-ness as well if they became really moist on a shipping container or something to the point where they built up crud or gunk that doesn't just "go away" like ear moisture. Of my sets, they are all similar in sound, but they are not all the same volume. When comparing them I had to fluctuate the volume to make them equal.

I did also think of this as a possibility. I remember the Yamaha EPH-100 earphones having issues with "condensation" causing channel imbalance and those also utilize similar sized microdrivers.

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #3,363 of 6,090

O.k. That's what I thought you mean, but wasn't positive.

Shipping defects are very common. But "consistent" shipping defects with the same product from multiple resellers? I wouldn't go that far, but who knows...

Personally, the variance is what annoys me the most. I'm not dismissing failures, but assuming there was no failure the variances between sets would be like sony selling an ex1000 and an ex600 and calling them both an ex1000. Someone would graph that after hearing the difference and sony would take some heavy heat. But with the tenore we're talking about more variance in multiple directions! Unacceptable.

I still love the sound, and I still think they're a good bargain "if" you can get a reference pair. Not that any pairs sound bad, they don't. But I'd rather use another earphone than listen to the bassier variant personally. Too soft in presentation for my tastes.

Also, just a theory, but all these imbalances and differences. Is it possible that people's ears become warm and moist and cause blockage in the filter/mesh/damper? I'm not talking about sweat. I'm talking about basic moisture. These things are micro small components. ZA even said a damper could cause bass variance. Perhaps the moisture causes a block in the damper or some internal component and starts dropping the volume or changing the response?? It would explain why they "get better" after a while or after a break. It could explain the bassy-ness as well if they became really moist on a shipping container or something to the point where they built up crud or gunk that doesn't just "go away" like ear moisture. Of my sets, they are all similar in sound, but they are not all the same volume. When comparing them I had to fluctuate the volume to make them equal.

Just some ideas.

Zero Audio should seriously consider their sound quality variance problem may it be quality control or design flaws. It's a shame to see such a good IEM like Tenore gone to waste because of the sound quality variance. If only Zero Audio is on HeadFi then they'd realize that their hard effort of producing a good quality IEM is a lost effort with this problem. It's very obvious that with such bad reputation that's been posted countlessly by many HeadFiers, Zero Audio won't be getting much support until they sort out their problem. I've got an idea Luisdent, do you think it's a good idea to gather all the complaints on sound quality variance in this thread and email Zero Audio. I guess this will make a greater impact than just the email complaint from one person...then wait for their response. Just an idea that's all.....maybe they'll be motivated enough to produce a Tenore MkII which are all reference Tenores without any sound quality variance 
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #3,366 of 6,090
I recently bought these, but I'm not impressed.  This will remind me to not fall for the hype train again on a sub $100 iem.  It isn't nearly as good as my tdk ba200.  The bass is way too overpowering.

Yep. Add another one to the list of "non-reference" sets.

Before you chuck them, try some Sony MH1 tips if you boarded that train, which helped even out the midbass to subbass ratio while lowering subbass on my set, or try James's front vent mod. Don't have the exact link on hand but you can search for "j444" here on head-fi. Either might help a bit.

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #3,367 of 6,090
I recently bought these, but I'm not impressed.  This will remind me to not fall for the hype train again on a sub $100 iem.  It isn't nearly as good as my tdk ba200.  The bass is way too overpowering.

Yeah. You clearly got a bassy pair. It isn't false hype. I had the ba200. Excellent earphone. My tenore is at least on par if not better. But a bassy pair would be noticeably warmer and less reference. I'm guessing the tdk has very good quality control. I'm usually impressed with their better products.

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #3,368 of 6,090
This is such a shame to hear.

I was really looking forward to picking up a pair of these instead of the Hifiman RE-400 because of the SQ and price savings, but it seems I may have more consistent luck with a pair of RE-400's instead..

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #3,370 of 6,090
I'm listening to a compendium of classic rock using my Tenores, and the sound is so wide, smooth, focused, and detailed, with bass so articulate you swear it's got a Doctorate from
Harvard. Regardless of it's quirky nature, the Tenores are one incredibly sounding b***h. :wink:

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #3,371 of 6,090

Just some ideas.

That's why I remove all my filters :grin:

Ermm, there is no filter/damper, just a mesh to protect the nozzle opening. Removing it changes nothing at all about the sound, and it certainly doesn't turn my bassy pair into a reference one.

I can imagine that moisture may very well have an influence on some internal driver component though.

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #3,374 of 6,090
I'm listening to a compendium of classic rock using my Tenores, and the sound is so wide, smooth, focused, and detailed, with bass so articulate you swear it's got a Doctorate from
Harvard. Regardless of it's quirky nature, the Tenores are one incredibly sounding b***h.
wink.gif

i would describe the same....mine sounds great. ( using jvc spirals :p )

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #3,375 of 6,090

Quote:
Quote:
Harvard. Regardless of it's quirky nature, the Tenores are one incredibly sounding b***h. 
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Lorspeaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i would describe the same....mine sounds great. ( using jvc spirals :p )

I'm in agreement with you guys. They are quirky with their random issues but the sound is absolutely stupendous !

I will be truly gutted if mine fall apart as its been a long search to get to this sound signature.

I'm also hoping that we as a forum can do something to encourage Zero Audio to improve the build of their earphones. They have something special and people would pay more if they could sort out its build quality. ( luisdent 
wink.gif
 )

I opened the second Tenore set yesterday and found it even more to my liking.

It is slightly stronger in sub bass presence which does not seem to have any negative impact on the rest of the frequency. I find these better for listening to EDM.

I'm guessing the first earphone pair are the neutral ones and this than must be a reference pair. Could be first was a reference and second is slightly more sub bass pair. I'm happy with both signatures.

I'm possibly going to sell one so anyone in UK wanting to try it might want to keep look out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back