Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Jul 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #706 of 6,090
Quote:
I was just checking these now! I'm trying to finish the review hehe! I had the impression that Bassos where kinda aggressive with a big soundstage. I don't really think that this warmish airy "veil" will appeal to me. I find the S500s just fine in warmth but I don't really want something warmer/relaxing. So probably I must head towards FXD70 or CKN70 according to you?

Thanks for the info! Do you think that Tenore's bass is enough for the kind of music I've mentioned above?

Actually there is no "veil" to the Bassos at all, the sound is clean and airy despite the bass emphasis. Nothing on them is recessed, but they just have a slightly warmish sound signature due to the deep and big bass. The bass does not affect the mids, or highs whatsoever. I personally would not recommend the FXD70s, they are wayyy too mid centic, with aggressive highs. Bass is tight but not much bass quantity. The FXD80s and CKN70s is much better. Though the CKN70s has a really aggressive treble as well so..... Best and most safe bet is the FXD80s, the Bassos/ tenores or the NuFroces

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #707 of 6,090
Quote:
I was just checking these now! I'm trying to finish the review hehe! I had the impression that Bassos where kinda aggressive with a big soundstage. I don't really think that this warmish airy "veil" will appeal to me. I find the S500s just fine in warmth but I don't really want something warmer/relaxing. So probably I must head towards FXD70 or CKN70 according to you?

Thanks for the info! Do you think that Tenore's bass is enough for the kind of music I've mentioned above?

Yeah, I think they would be fine. 

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #708 of 6,090
Thanks again guys! Now I am back to zero and I have to search again to find the best IEM for me!
deadhorse.gif

One last question sfwalcer since I know your experience with the S500s, I think that my "limit" for bass is the amount that these headphones offer. Should I exclude any of these IEMs for being more bassy than my tastes?

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #709 of 6,090
Quote:
Thanks again guys! Now I am back to zero and I have to search again to find the best IEM for me!
deadhorse.gif

One last question sfwalcer since I know your experience with the S500s, I think that my "limit" for bass is the amount that these headphones offer. Should I exclude any of these IEMs for being more bassy than my tastes?

LoL, if the S500s are the max amount of bass you can handle, these Bassos are not for you for sure. If you want very similar S500 sound but is a bit more analytical/ colder sounding the FXD80s are it. They have a pretty big stage/ sub bass extension with little to no mid bass hump or bleed. A really clean sounding iem that's for sure. But i have a feeling the Tenores are more what you are looking for if you want about the same amount of bass as the S500s.

Never heard the Tenores so don't know exactly how thy sound but judging from the Bassos they should sound very similar but just with less bass emphasis.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #710 of 6,090
Quote:
LoL, if the S500s are the max amount of bass you can handle, these Bassos are not for you for sure. If you want very similar S500 sound but is a bit more analytical/ colder sounding the FXD80s are it. They have a pretty big stage/ sub bass extension with little to no mid bass hump or bleed. A really clean sounding iem that's for sure. But i have a feeling the Tenores are more what you are looking for if you want about the same amount of bass as the S500s.

Never heard the Tenores so don't know exactly how thy sound but judging from the Bassos they should sound very similar but just with less bass emphasis.

+1. FXD80's or Tenore's would be perfect.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #711 of 6,090
Based on my experience with the Basso, CKN70, and fxd80: I would go for the Tenore... Just my personal opinion. The Basso is an amazing iem, to me it sounds like a neutral sound Sig then someone turned the bass boost on. I could just imagine the Tenore being that neutral sound without the bass boost.

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #712 of 6,090
So I've been playing around with the JDSlabs C5 and is astounded by how much it takes your iem to whole different level.

I tried the Basso with the C5 and since then I couldn't take them off my ears! WOW! what an amazing revelation... The Basso scales up really well with C5 power. I can't even explain how AWESOME this sounds. Control in the bass end is really tight. The vocals in the mids are so much clearer, brought forward. The Highs! A LOT more extended without being sibilant, heaps of sparkle and detail. Soundstage is just as wide unamped BUT height is at another level!

All I can say is: if you have Zero Audio Basso/Tenore, pair them with your best amp and you will be treated to some amazing audio experience ever!

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #714 of 6,090
Quote:

Are you using the black tips? I read that the clear ones were softer...not sure how true this is as I only have the clear ones, but they are really really comfortable. At least when I compare them to the stock tips. 

Nope got the clear ones.
For some reason both stock and M6 tips get quite uncomfertable after about hour or so.
Never had this issue with my GR06!

Whats the best DAC for £50 and less?
Currently got a Cowon J3 as main MP3 player.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #715 of 6,090
OK guys. I love the sound of my Bassos and I am trying to find a pair of full size headphones with a similar sort of sound signature, so what should I be looking for? I just love how they have bass when called upon but the mids don't sound too recessed and the highs aren't piercing (At least to me). I'm having a hard time finding a comfortable closed circumaural pair of headphones with a similar sound signature.

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #718 of 6,090
Quote:

I think that I do enjoy the sub-bass and the whole presence of bass especially when I listen to bootlegs or other live recordings but I don't really need more than that. I don't find extreme the bass on S500s but just my kind of sound! I think that I don't really need more analytical but more "raw" sound, I don't know if this is the same in terms of IEMs, so I hope that FXD80 is closer to that. 
Quote:
+1. FXD80's or Tenore's would be perfect.

Now I have to choose between those 2! Hard call since the price is almost the same.
Quote:
Based on my experience with the Basso, CKN70, and fxd80: I would go for the Tenore... Just my personal opinion. The Basso is an amazing iem, to me it sounds like a neutral sound Sig then someone turned the bass boost on. I could just imagine the Tenore being that neutral sound without the bass boost.

If I remember correctly your posts, do you think that Tenore would be good for stoner/doom metal or prog metal like Tool for example. I would love to have that huge soundstage that everyone is praising here!

A last minute question, hopefully not too off topic, does anyone have any experience with FAD Adagio III? I have just seen at amazon that their price is similar to Tenore and FXD80 and I don't know if they are compatible to my tastes.

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #719 of 6,090
^ My vote for you is the Basso's. I find the S500's bass to be more prominent than the Basso's, so I don't think you would have to worry about the Basso's having too much bass (only awesome bass :).

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #720 of 6,090
Quote:
Think the pads would be too small for me. Looking for ultimate comfort.

Now why did I know that you were going to say that lol! Did you ever try the S500's with the HM5 pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back