Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Aug 23, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #4,216 of 6,090
  Anyway, I'm rambling... But I definitely believe it is possible to eq an earphone to perfection, or close to it, assuming you have the ear and tools. But once you plug it into another device you're screwed. :p

Yes, there's a lot of magic (compensation) EQ can do but I'd rather have a good stock sound straight off my phones because I plug them into many devices.....and.....all EQs have their own sound characteristic to begin with.

I get where you are coming from and I typically feel the same way wanting to use an iem across all sources.  However, we're only talking a $10 investment and, IMO, the effect is significantly better than most iems I've heard.  The Somic driver, after EQ, sounds incredibly clear, nimble and dynamic.  I will be picking one up when it's released and having spent a good deal of time to recreate the EQ on my iPhone, in Equalizer, will be using it quite often.  Switching from the AK240/UERM (balanced) to the iPhone/Somic was pretty seamless with zero adjustment time.

Didn't mean to derail the Tenore thread, I just figured a bunch of you guys would appreciate the Somic with EQ, knowing you love the Tenore for the same reasons I do.
Edit: seems retail price on the Somic may be $30, not $10.

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #4,217 of 6,090
I didn't think much of the havi b3 old version. It was pretty odd sounding and off putting to me.

Why thank you good sir. I now understand why you and some may have not brought up the havi b3 odd sound.

Will keep this noted.
I think the B3 Pro I shoots way above the Tenore (and the Tenore is pretty decent). 

Except whwn i see posts like this, thank you eric. I gues i will bite sooner or later and purchase one for good measure!!

Well, i always end up picking something else instead of the Havi. I was toying with the idea of getting one but then i discovered the XE800 which is a retuned GR07. Since i love the diaphragm of the GR07 but i have issues with the tuning of the treble, i though i should give the Vivo a chance, if the treble is flatter it should be a full win. XD

Oh really? Im pretty happy you got the xe800 instead! As people described the SQ of the vivo earphones, i have been wanting to try them as well! Its peak night be a bit lowe than the gr07s themselves.

Once you receive them, happy listening!

The gr07

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #4,218 of 6,090
I get where you are coming from and I typically feel the same way wanting to use an iem across all sources.  However, we're only talking a $10 investment and, IMO, the effect is significantly better than most iems I've heard.  The Somic driver, after EQ, sounds incredibly clear, nimble and dynamic.  I will be picking one up when it's released and having spent a good deal of time to recreate the EQ on my iPhone, in Equalizer, will be using it quite often.  Switching from the AK240/UERM (balanced) to the iPhone/Somic was pretty seamless with zero adjustment time.

Didn't mean to derail the Tenore thread, I just figured a bunch of you guys would appreciate the Somic with EQ, knowing you love the Tenore for the same reasons I do.

I don't mind getting the Somic even at $30 for just a single dedicated player if it really sound as good as the UERM since I can't afford the UERM now after splashing on the TG334 recently. $30 for the UERM sound is daylight robbery

On second thoughts why can't Somic just pay the person who initiated the "Supreme EQ" and retune their MH412 to duplicate that EQ setting and rename it MH412EQ....then sell it for double the price. I guarantee it'll definitely be an instant hit. I really can't be assed with EQ for every different device.

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #4,219 of 6,090
When is the somic getting released? Also, it should work on any android phone right?

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #4,221 of 6,090

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/665111/zero-audio-zh-dx200-carbo-tenore-zh-dx210-carbo-basso-carbon-aluminium-iem-information-appreciation-and-impressions-thread/4200#post_10819656 layout=inline]Anyway, I'm rambling... But I definitely believe it is possible to eq an earphone to perfection, or close to it, assuming you have the ear and tools. But once you plug it into another device you're screwed. :p[/CONTENTEMBED]

Yes, there's a lot of magic (compensation) EQ can do but I'd rather have a good stock sound straight off my phones because I plug them into many devices.....and.....all EQs have their own sound characteristic to begin with.

Definitely. I wouldn't have some, if any, of my iems if i didn't use eq. :p the cheaper the iem that sounds great with eq the better. Lol

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #4,222 of 6,090
Well, TTS appeared really fast. I thought that it as something with the song, or the fit, but after some tests I realzed that the right driver was sounding at a lower volume. I just half-opened the mesh and stuffed some cotton there. Problem fixed. Thanks for the quick fix
tongue.gif

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #4,223 of 6,090
Well, TTS appeared really fast. I thought that it as something with the song, or the fit, but after some tests I realzed that the right driver was sounding at a lower volume. I just half-opened the mesh and stuffed some cotton there. Problem fixed. Thanks for the quick fix :p

Nice! Hope it lasts. Mine has. Keep us updated!

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #4,227 of 6,090

Has anyone found a great tip for the tenore that is foam "other" than the s series?

I'll give my Monster super tips a shot and report back.

Cool. I just can't seem to get consistent sound with any silicon tips. They never seem to seal the same each time. Very frustrating. I never used to have this problem. I think it's because I want to have the most shallow seal possible, and they only really seal consistently when they're mid ear. At least I assume. But foam would probably seal better even shallow...

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #4,228 of 6,090
Cool. I just can't seem to get consistent sound with any silicon tips. They never seem to seal the same each time. Very frustrating. I never used to have this problem. I think it's because I want to have the most shallow seal possible, and they only really seal consistently when they're mid ear. At least I assume. But foam would probably seal better even shallow...

I've had a really good experience with the meelec biflanges as long as I push them straight in while pushing one side of the tip against one side of my ear. This allows me to insert them far enough without forming a seal until I let go completely. The tip then fills the ear canal and stays put. So basically push the tip in, but try not to let one side of the tip connect with your ear until you stop pushing the tips in. Sounds kind of weird when I explain it, but it works great, and I don't get any suction or pressure build up at all.

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #4,229 of 6,090

I've had a really good experience with the meelec biflanges as long as I push them straight in while pushing one side of the tip against one side of my ear. This allows me to insert them far enough without forming a seal until I let go completely. The tip then fills the ear canal and stays put. So basically push the tip in, but try not to let one side of the tip connect with your ear until you stop pushing the tips in. Sounds kind of weird when I explain it, but it works great, and I don't get any suction or pressure build up at all.
i do that sometimes as well.

I think i fixed my issue though. Will post later...

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #4,230 of 6,090
So here's the deal. As I discussed previously, using a bit of tip material to act as a vent just didn't work for me. Altered the sound way too much. However, the idea is sound. So I started experimenting with different materials to find something that doesn't change the sound, but allows me to prevent a strong vacuum seal, making it easier to fit them quickly and consistently.

Ready for this? No joke. Dental tape. The wider floss. Specifically this brand/type: http://www.oralb.com/products/glide-pro-health-comfort-plus-floss/

That's right folks. You can keep your ears clean while you listen to music! Less plaque equals more details!

But seriously, it is perfect in two ways. First, it's incredibly easy to thread through a tip and then pop the tip on the earphone. Then you can pull the floss back until it isn't covering the opening at all. So easy to implement. You can cut off the excess too if you care to and don't change tips often.

Second, it acts as a more slow vent. I can push the earphones in at any depth and within about 1-2 full seconds the air pressurizes perfectly and they are very comfortable. This slower release allows enough of a break in vacuum that it doesn't alter the bass at all. In fact, I left longer floss hanging out initially and pulled the floss out while listening to music. No change in sound.

I also removed the floss and inserted the earphones a bunch and swapped back to floss, repeat, repeat. There is definitely a clear change in the pressurization after a second or two. I've listened to them all day, and not once have I had a problem with the sound or refitting them after removing them. I'll post back after a few days. But now these definitely rock more than any other iem I have. Minus the cable pulling out of the housing, but so far it's still technically in tact...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back