Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Aug 13, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #4,157 of 6,090
Lewie is my shih-tzu. We call him Lewis when he's bad.

Lol, I have a Shih-tzu named Pansy 
smile.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #4,160 of 6,090
My parent's shih-tzu just died yesterday after 12 years. It was really our "family" dog for a many years. :-/

That sucks man... Shih-Tzus are really good dogs in our experience. Our family dog as well Pansy is getting pretty old at 11 and has some allergies&health problems, so I don't know how many more months/years we'll have her. I am sorry for your loss of a family "friend" :frowning2:

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #4,161 of 6,090
  My parent's shih-tzu just died yesterday after 12 years. It was really our "family" dog for a many years. :-/

frown.gif
 sorry to hear it.

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #4,165 of 6,090
I just want to say, thanks guys!

These things are reeally good. When I first listened to them, it was like "Yeah, ok, they sound better than my old earphones". After that, in the subway, was "Well, this is good" but, when I was on my bed at the night, I couldn't stop listening to them, it was amazing! Every song that I enjoyed before was way better now, and I had shivers everytime. Not sure if this is a reference pair or something because some songs sound pretty bass heavy, but others sounds normal so, who knows, but I'm really enjoying them!

Fit is a bit weird because if you push them a bit too far, they make a vacuum on your ears that could be even painful, so, yes, they work better with a relaxed, slightly shallow fit. Isolation is really good, and well, overall, everything sounds right. Bass, mids, highs, detail, soundstage, layering..everything is there, and good. Also, I didn't found them power-hungry, I use them with my Cowon D3 at half of volume usually, or slightly higher than that.

TL;DR Awesome earphones!

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #4,166 of 6,090
I just want to say, thanks guys!

These things are reeally good. When I first listened to them, it was like "Yeah, ok, they sound better than my old earphones". After that, in the subway, was "Well, this is good" but, when I was on my bed at the night, I couldn't stop listening to them, it was amazing! Every song that I enjoyed before was way better now, and I had shivers everytime. Not sure if this is a reference pair or something because some songs sound pretty bass heavy, but others sounds normal so, who knows, but I'm really enjoying them!

Fit is a bit weird because if you push them a bit too far, they make a vacuum on your ears that could be even painful, so, yes, they work better with a relaxed, slightly shallow fit. Isolation is really good, and well, overall, everything sounds right. Bass, mids, highs, detail, soundstage, layering..everything is there, and good. Also, I didn't found them power-hungry, I use them with my Cowon D3 at half of volume usually, or slightly higher than that.

TL;DR Awesome earphones!

They aren't power hungry really. They aren't ultra sensitive either. Sort of in the middle. I think songs with sub bass reveal more sub bass than most people are used to, so even a reference set might seem bassy at first. However, i find the bassier pairs "warm" overall. So every song sounds a bit softer and less dynamic because of it. Either one sounds best with a gently sealed shallow fit in my opinion.

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #4,167 of 6,090
The Tenores are less sensitive than some full sized cans and they improve a lot with amping so yes, i would call them power hungry. As for tightness, i am pretty sure that a different kind of foam for bass attenuation plus damping in the back chamber would do wonders for it. I fully intend to try this when i have some free time, i also have a pair of MH1s i've been waiting forever to recable.

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #4,168 of 6,090
Well, I'm not sure how sensibility affects the sound but they are loud enough to don't need tons of volume. And well, I'm a bit of basshead and I wass still a bit surprised with the amount of bass that they had. But I realized that is mostly with some songs, others could even lack some. I tried them with the Fiio X5 of a friend in high gain, and they sounded pretty much the same, so not sure. I would still try them with an amp to hear how that affects the sound!

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #4,169 of 6,090
Personally, I base "power hungry" off the necessity to require high volumes or an additional amp. The tenore requires neither of these for me. Yes, they require more volume than say the pfe112 or mh1 perhaps, but not as much as the er4s for instance, which I can get by with fine with no additional amp. I can use the tenore with my ipod touch or sansa players and never hit max volume. So that to me means not power hungry. But they aren't super loud either. I'd say they're on the quiet side of average while being plenty sufficient for non-amped portable use.

I've compared them many times with my a/b switch and there is also no difference amped with sound quality that I can hear. They are just as tight, balanced, open, etc. on an ipod touch 5g as they are on an amped dac such as a c5d or straight out of a high quality pro audio sound interface. So in that regard they aren't power hungry either, meaning they don't require amping to sound better in any way. So, sufficient volume on a portable player and no improvement with an amp... I'd say that means they are not power hungry personally.

That doesn't mean some people don't listen to music insanely loud to the point where it is bad for their hearing. Those people might find it lacking. And some people might have differing opinions on what qualifies as power hungry, demanding, etc. But personally, I'd say possibly on the quieter side of average. That's my opinion based on the various iems I've heard.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #4,170 of 6,090

Users who are viewing this thread

Back