Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Aug 13, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #4,141 of 6,090
Success! The other day I passed the 7 day mark with zero signs of TTS. I am now officially endorsing taking off the mesh screen and stuffing a small amount of cotton into the barrel. Sound has been spectacular and perfectly consistent throughout the entire week of testing. Clarity is not at all affected by this mod, and may actually be slightly improved, although I can't put the mesh screen back on to be 100% sure. 

I offer my thanks to James (I think it was him) for recommending this mod. It has extended the quality and usefulness of my Tenore in way I didn't think was possible. I will, of course, keep everyone updated if anything changes, but 7 straight listening sessions with zero issues is a very good sign that this problem has been solved.

I read that if you take your Tenore's out of your ears and replace them with Rockets that SQ improves. Can you verify or deny? :p

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #4,142 of 6,090
Success! The other day I passed the 7 day mark with zero signs of TTS. I am now officially endorsing taking off the mesh screen and stuffing a small amount of cotton into the barrel. Sound has been spectacular and perfectly consistent throughout the entire week of testing. Clarity is not at all affected by this mod, and may actually be slightly improved, although I can't put the mesh screen back on to be 100% sure. 

I offer my thanks to James (I think it was him) for recommending this mod. It has extended the quality and usefulness of my Tenore in way I didn't think was possible. I will, of course, keep everyone updated if anything changes, but 7 straight listening sessions with zero issues is a very good sign that this problem has been solved.

Cool! Thanks for testing Gnarls! I will do this if my pair ever brings up TTS/problems...

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #4,143 of 6,090

Well, I was close to either seeing how durable my replacement tenores are to hammer blows, or to attempting to return them. So your post is timely, because that sounds simple enough for me to try.

When you say "cotton", do you mean cotton swab (ie q-tips) material? And by "small amount", how much is that? Forgive me if you have posted this information already.

Also, does this resolve the issue even when wearing the tenores down?

Thanks again.

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #4,144 of 6,090
Well, I was close to either seeing how durable my replacement tenores are to hammer blows, or to attempting to return them. So your post is timely, because that sounds simple enough for me to try.

When you say "cotton", do you mean cotton swab (ie q-tips) material? And by "small amount", how much is that? Forgive me if you have posted this information already.

Also, does this resolve the issue even when wearing the tenores down?

Thanks again.

You can use cotton from a cotton ball or from a q-tip, as I think it's the same stuff. I used a very small amount, and pulled it apart with my fingers to make it less dense. It should look pretty sparse, with each fiber individually visible. It'll get a little more dense when you push it into the barrel. I've posted this a couple times but here's the pic again for reference:

I've tested this mostly cable up, but cable down once for an entire session. It shouldn't matter imo, but who knows.

And to clarify, TTS stands for typical Tenore syndrome, and refers to channel imbalance, with one side sounding louder than the other. This mod should fix that problem. If you try it out please report back with your results. Good luck!

Aug 13, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #4,145 of 6,090
I read that if you take your Tenore's out of your ears and replace them with Rockets that SQ improves. Can you verify or deny? :p

An effective mod but definitely causes a sizable dip in wallet weight :p

Tbh I'm not ready to say that the Rockets are better SQ-wise than the c-mod (cotton-mod) Tenore. It's close. Hopefully the Rockets won't have anywhere near the qc issues.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #4,147 of 6,090
An effective mod but definitely causes a sizable dip in wallet weight :p

Tbh I'm not ready to say that the Rockets are better SQ-wise than the c-mod (cotton-mod) Tenore. It's close. Hopefully the Rockets won't have anywhere near the qc issues.

Can you compare the tonality of these two?

I'll need more time to say anything definitive (for me), but I put the Tenores tonality, especially in the mids, as perhaps the best I've heard. So far I'm having trouble finding any flaws with the Rockets in comparison, even considering tonality. The Rockets are very good here imo.

I'll have more specific comparisons tomorrow hopefully.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #4,148 of 6,090
I'll need more time to say anything definitive (for me), but I put the Tenores tonality, especially in the mids, as perhaps the best I've heard. So far I'm having trouble finding any flaws with the Rockets in comparison, even considering tonality. The Rockets are very good here imo.

Damn and I am broke...I will either have to sell a kidney or another part of me to some rich old lady. Can't decide what I prefer...

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #4,149 of 6,090
Quote:

Damn and I am broke...I will either have to sell a kidney or another part of me to some rich old lady. Can't decide what I prefer...

You've got 2 kidneys brah. But shame? That don't wash off. 

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #4,150 of 6,090

Time can't get your kidney back but... y'know it can make you forget. Besides I'm sure they say things about fine wines and experience. I don't know who they are but I'm told they exist.

Edit: looks like you'll be pulled both ways on this one.

gnarlsagan It's ok. You can let go. :p

But more seriously, I can see how it might be a difficult comparison from the start due to the drastically different presentations. It makes it hard to align attributes.

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #4,152 of 6,090
I'm back on the er4s with black tri flange. Wow. I think i prefer it over the tenore from mid to treble. The tenore is incredible close with better bass, but the er4s sounds more transparent to me. I think i'm having fluctuations in my tenore's sound and the fit is much more dependent. I get noticeable bass boost at deeper depths. I tried the tip vent mod today, but it sounded hollow. I think it still needs a seal, but just shallow. But it's hard sometimes to get both.

I'll have the uerm this week to demo. Can't wait!!! I'm finding the kc06 more dark and peaky now as well since i've been on the er4s. In fact i'm digging the pfe112 again, but the lack of super clear depth is still a hinderance.

Basically i'm finding them all superb but all lacking at the same time. I switch between them constantly based on my mood. But i wish there was an ideal choice. I'll see how the rockets fare in a bit too. I'm just starting to worry i'm going to love the uerm. Haha i doubt they would sell the to me for $50 :wink:

But an incredibly slight very low sub boost on the er4s was blowing my mind today. The realism and transparency is insane, red filters of course...

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #4,154 of 6,090
Of course Louie's gettin a piece of the pie. I wanted the Rockets to be evaluated by some of the pickiest bastards most charming gents on the forum after all :wink:

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #4,155 of 6,090
  Of course Louie's gettin a piece of the pie. I wanted the Rockets to be evaluated by some of the pickiest bastards most charming gents on the forum after all :wink:

bwahahaha. who's louie? :wink:

Agreed on better transparency with the ER-4S.

I liked the bass and mids on the PFE but the treble got on my nerves.

Hopefully you'll get to hear the Rockets sometime.

Yes. I almost find the pfe112 to be perfect from 1000hz down. It's like ruler flat. The upper spectrum is pretty neutral too "overall", but after listening a while the treble is soft in the lower region and peaky in the upper region a bit. Nothing bad compared to most iems, but leaves me wanting for more transparency and openness. The er4s is great in that regard, but leave me wanting for bass bottom. I use a very small eq for the bass, but even without it they sound superb. The ostry is growing more and more noticeably peaky and bass heavy to me. I'm not saying I like it any less or that it is bad, but compared to the er4s it is noticeable. The tenore is very very close to the er4s and improves upon the bass, but I've yet to find a consistent way to put them in my ears and get the same exact sound every time. Very sad, because when they do fit perfectly at the right depth, seal, etc., they are something to behold...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back