Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
May 24, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #17 of 6,090
Quote:
Just listened to my FX3X for the first time in months. Been a while but I wrote some comparisons to the DX210 here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-jant71s-take-on-the-new-ath-clr100-pg-618-zero-audio-carbo-basso-pg-601/10095#post_9467559

I miss my FX3X because of the build quality/looks and the tightness in its bass. I remember taking them with me every time I go to the gym and aside from sounding really good, they look so manly on my ears(like mini pimped up speakers). But if I were to choose between the JVC and the Bassos, I'd pick the Bassos 100% because it's more enjoyable and I can listen to them for longer periods. The FX3X can be quite fatiguing after an hour of listening session.

May 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #19 of 6,090
That's heaps! I've had about 500hrs on mine before giving them to a close friend of mine. He loves them and is still his main IEM to date!
Had him try my new Bassos and he now wants them as well... I said "not a chance 
ksc75smile.gif
!"

May 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #20 of 6,090
Quote:
Just listened to my FX3X for the first time in months. Been a while but I wrote some comparisons to the DX210 here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-jant71s-take-on-the-new-ath-clr100-pg-618-zero-audio-carbo-basso-pg-601/10095#post_9467559

Hey Ds! Nice to see you and hope all's going well. Your above link was very informative - I hope you don't mind me copy/pasting it below...

Quote:
For you sf. I managed to find my FX3X. Your right I forgot how good these things are but comparing them to the DX210.. There are some very notable refinements over the FX3X that I noticed on the DX210.. Particularly in the highs..Believe it or not the FX3X extend more in the highs but also has the peaks associated with that extension. Lower highs are accented on many AT and JVC earphones for female vocal and instrument clarity.. These are typical of the JVC, AT tuning in this regard. The FX3X is a bit on the V side of sound balancing because of this much like the FX101.  It took a long burn in to tame the peaks of the FX3X on my particular pair and they do sound great. A killer deal for around $30 and lower.

The DX210 doesn't extend as much in the highs but makes up for it with a better balance and very solid details in the highs with better instrument separation and micro detailing vs the accented higher range in the lower to mid highs of the FX3X. The DX210 overall makes for a more coherent sound over the FX3X..Vocals are clearly better balanced on the DX210 relative to the instruments.  The FX3X has the edge in the bass department but not by much..The DX210 can definitely hit them notes with authority which when you add that full more detailed mid range and smoother highs makes for a real enjoyable listening experience..Refinement is what separates the two.

The FX3X stage is also very notable and the DX210 comes very close in this department. I do think the sound of the DX210 has more depth in the overall sound  over the FX3X. The DX210 sounds like a more refined FX3X. Smoother better balanced..The FX3X however I forgot how good they are.. Will have to listen to these more often.

May 25, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #21 of 6,090
Quote:
Just reposting my initial thoughts that was posted on the Discovery Thread...

I won't cover anything else aside from the sound because I believe Ds has that covered in his previous review of the Carbo Basso.
This is my impression straight out of the box and changed the tip with Meelec double flange tips (Update: 25/05/13 - D's was right; the Bassos sound better with narrow bore tips. I'm currently using the stock tips and the bass is much tighter and well defined.).

Source: Ipod Touch 5Gen
Amp: FiiO E11 (EQ: 0; Gain: low)

BASS
One word: WOW! This pair has the most authoritative bass I've ever heard in an IEM. Very clean, goes really deep and just right in between Punchy and Boomy bass. To me it's just perfect... I now hear a lot of micro details in the lower frequencies (details that I didn't really notice with the XBA 3). This reminds me of the FX3X bass but more refined and detailed. Listening to Megadeth's Kill the King and this can really handle with heavy metal speed. Not as fast as the XBA 3 but the timbre and decay is so much more authentic. Double bass kicks sounded so good, exactly how you hear it on a live concert!

MIDS
Midrange is so smooth and just about right... not as forward as the XBA 3 but (Update: 25/05/13 - After 100 hrs of break-in or maybe brain burn-in, the mids and highs are now more open and details are quite clear to me. Mids are more forward and better than the MH1c/XBA3.) is never lacking and it doesn't disappoint. It doesn't leave you wanting for more because it's there. But for those who love vocals tho, especially female vocals; this may not be the right IEM for you. Mids are not forward enough to highlight female vocals. These phones are not for those who focus on a particular component in a song: may it be guitars, drums, or vocals; this IEM is for those who listen to a song as a whole and have fun with the entire presentation.

HIGHS
Buttery smooth... think about MH1c with further refinement/tuning. I just love how this pair NEVER reach sibilance. I've thrown every pitchy song in my collection and not once did this pair sounded sibilant. If you have songs by pitchy female artists such as Taylor Swift or Avril Lavigne, this IEM is the solution. I turned up the volume all the way to the top (w/o amp) and their voices didn't go overboard! I believe I can listen to the Carbo Basso all night long and I'd never feel fatigue. It doesn't have the detailed precision of the XBA 3 and CKN70, but on the other hand: it doesn't have the artificial peaky sound either. Just a smooth and refined highs with enough detail to produce a fun yet non-strident music.

DETAILS
While midrange and treble where not spectacular (like CKN70), the details in the bass department will more than make up for it. This is not an analytical IEM and should never be evaluated as one. As a fun IEM, this delivers more than what's expected. Compared to the XBA 3, the Sony excels in the high frequencies but the DX210 owns the XBA 3 in the lower frequencies. (Update: 25/05/13 - After 100 hrs of break-in or maybe brain burn-in, the mids and highs are now more open and details are quite clear to me. Highs - tho not as good as the CKN70, it is good enough for a VERY satisfying listening session.)

I'm loving the DX210... This is not a neutral/analytical IEM but a fun and well balanced BASS IEM. It will not replace my XBA 3 but it will definitely get heaps of ear-time because it's just so much fun to listen to. You can really enjoy each and every song in your playlist. That amazing bass even transforms classic acts such as England Dan and John Ford Coley and make their songs sound like they've just been recorded in the recent years. As a result, those oldies don't sound so out of place when they play right after a modern pop song. For $42, I'd say the Zero Audio Carbo Basso DX210 is worth MORE than what I paid for. 
L3000.gif

My apologies for not providing more details as I am still a novice at this... but I do know when a pair of cans sound good/bad. A big thanks to Dsnuts for this discovery, it is an awesome IEM for the price indeed!

Hey d marc0, I gotta say I love those impressions. Very nicely said!

May 25, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #22 of 6,090
May 25, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #23 of 6,090
May 25, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #25 of 6,090
May 25, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #27 of 6,090
Just got mine yesterday, gotta admit that I prefer the ~20hrs basso to my EPH100.

Wow really? How would you compare the bass response on both of them?

I've got the EPH100 and I hope the Tenores will surpass them as well in sound quality.

May 25, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #28 of 6,090
Basso's bass is bigger, deeper and more texture but bass is just a little bit slower than EPH100

Soundstage on Basso also wider while EPH100 has higher treble and sweeter vocal.

For me I can not say that Basso has better sound quality they just give me for fun when I listen to music.

May 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #29 of 6,090
I just added my Zero Audio DX210 Basso impressions to my 2nd post here
biggrin.gif

Let me get out my only niggles out of the way: (1) the cables stick almost straight out from the drivers instead of falling straight down. I can live with that lol. And (2) they are not flush in the ears so I can't sleep with them. Having said that, the only iem's so far that I can do so with are the gr07be's (and hopefully vsd1's). I have come to accept that most iem's are not going to have the form factor of the vsonics though, so I can live with that also!

Back to the positives, of which there are many...

- I personally like iem's that hang down, rather than over the ear. So that's a plus for me.

- the cable is thin (which might be seen as a negative, although I don't really care as long as it lasts), but is very light, and doesn't tangle much, and I haven't noticed any microphonics.

- they are extremely light. The cable is thin and light, and the drivers themselves are very light. They are perfect portable iems for me. I can have them dangling and I don't notice them. And in my ears I don't notice them, and because the cable is so light, I don't feel them tugging down.

- they are very easy to fit, and are very comfortable. You don't have to fiddle with them to get them sounding great - just put them in and smile!

- they sound great out of the gate, but they even sound even better after 40-50 hours of burn in.

- they sound awesome directly out of the clip zip (rockboxed) with no EQ, but they respond very well to amping also (for example, clip zip + c&c bh).

- the sound grows on you like mould - but a good mould. I am always happy with their sound. Never disappointed. Lots of smiles about how good they make my tunes sound. Listened to Muse's 2nd Law while wandering around Costco today (good thing they only sell Bose headphones!), and I had a goofy grin on my face the whole time :)

- the sound is quite balanced. Excellent bass - extended, punchy, detailed but not overbearing. Very nice. The mids are very nice and in line with the bass and treble. The treble is detailed and sparkly without ever being sibilant. Makes for a very enjoyable, balanced, full sound.

- they are not fatiguing at all. I can listen to them all day.

- even though they sound full, they also sound airy. I suppose that is due to a fairly wide and deep soundstage, with good instrument separation and imaging.

- they have a similar signature to the cks1000's. The cks1000's are basically a more incredible version of the dx210's, but they cost 3 times as much, so they should. The dx210's themselves are completely satisfying and completely worth their price. In fact, I think they are worth more quite a bit more than their price. When I am listening to them, I am completely happy. I don't think that I will ever be getting rid of them, because as far as I am concerned, they are already classic when you consider their price.

So in summary: Dsnuts, you were right yet again!
beerchug.gif

May 26, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #30 of 6,090
^i like your review Wayne! Good on yah...

I only have one gripe on the DX210 and that the Bass is a bit slow for speed metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back