ZEN by DUNU: our first model designed around next-generation driver platform ECLIPSƎ
Feb 5, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #931 of 1,326
And on that note, my 1A arrived today and I've already had the question 'but you just got an MP3 player at Christmas?'

Just finished its first charge and looking forward to listening after work...

20210205_152349.jpg
bought-a-new-amp.jpg

Feb 5, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #932 of 1,326
Haha. I made sure I picked up the parcel. She didn't see the packaging. When she saw the cable she thought it looked like something Jay Z would wear. She would never believe an iem would cost that amount. If she does Google it , I will have to sell them to help pay for my divorce
Might have to change your name from Codename john to Codename mud

Feb 5, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #933 of 1,326
I don't care whatever crinacle say. I always rely to a normal person who usually purchase 100% MSRP and plus I find that he has familiar preference as same as me.

Feb 5, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #934 of 1,326
Feb 5, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #935 of 1,326
I have an EE Zeus, which I love, but I need more BASS. I was looking at the Legend X but I heard that the mids are recessed, and plus they're so expensive. Will I be disappointed with the detail retrieval of the Zen?

FWIW I do remember enjoying the Titan 3 some time back before it suddenly developed channel imbalance and I had to return it to amazon.

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #936 of 1,326
I dont think so. If anything your getting a better balanced earphone with bass impact and extension that is sheerly missing with a 14BA IEM in the Zeus. Which is pretty much bonkers considering how many drivers are in use in the Zeus. Zeus is more neutral in all aspects and has some outstanding mids but treble for me was a hit or miss on them as well as the bass end. I don't get that with the Zen. Zen sounds more complete in sonics to me to be honest and is the more versatile in tuning over the Zeus. I dont think it would be a downgrade if you got a Zen at all. If anything it might be that earphone you been looking for.

Detail wise the Zen might not have that uber multi BA mids detail from the Zeus but. Your not going to hear the Zen and think it is a down grade in that department. It will surprise you how detailed and layered the Zen sounds out of the right source. I own the Zeus as well and I already have more ear time with the Zen vs my Zeus if that says anything.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #937 of 1,326
What is to expect after the ZEN’s success? I am new in the Dunu family, but they certainly have some releases ready to hit the market within the coming months. Their patented technology most likely will be implemented in other IEMs. Do someone know about something (without revealing well-kept secrets)?

Feb 5, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #938 of 1,326
What is to expect after the ZEN’s success? I am new in the Dunu family, but they certainly have some releases ready to hit the market within the coming months. Their patented technology most likely will be implemented in other IEMs. Do someone know about something (without revealing well-kept secrets)?

There is mention of their upcoming tribrid on this blog post from Hifigo, and a picture too.

https://hifigo.com/blogs/news/5th-annual-e-c-audio-event-shenzhen-2021

Feb 5, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #939 of 1,326
Have zero clue what Dunu's plans are, but I hope they are at least trying an implementation with this new DD in a similar vein to the DK-4001: full range DD + BA (or EST) for treble. Having the DK-4001 in my ears now, I appreciate that they don't, IME, suffer from the same coherency issues many (most?) hybrids do, and I presume that is largely due to use of a full range DD + BA for treble.

I also hope they continue with their clean, not-flashy aesthetic. I for one really appreciate that, and from my little actual experience with Dunu, their build quality is unassailable.

Feb 5, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #940 of 1,326
I own the Zeus as well and I already have more ear time with the Zen vs my Zeus if that says anything.
Thanks for your reply! Yeah that does say a lot actually, I'm gonna go for it.

I saw in your review that you've tried several sources. Do you find that any of your DAPs are hiss-free with the Zen? It doesn't bother me too much since I'm used to the Zeus anyway, but I'm just curious. I have a mojo and I've been wanting to upgrade.

Feb 5, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #941 of 1,326
I don't care whatever crinacle say. I always rely to a normal person who usually purchase 100% MSRP and plus I find that he has familiar preference as same as me.
I trust my own taste & ears, I'm enjoying ZEN, that's all that counts. Reviews make for some interesting reading, however not purchase decisions as irrespective of technical ability of the HP/IEM taste and individual hearing varies.

If I thought ZEN wasn't worth the asking price I'd have passed as I did with Moondrop's Illumination, FiiO FH5 is worth the asking price, however not to my personal taste being a little too hot in the treble for my liking. ZEN to me is more cohesive & controlled with DUNU's own sound signature.

The Kills - Blood Pressures - Future Starts Slow
600x600bb.jpg
This is ZEN...

As for Crinacle, I like his reviews, he speaks his mind, doesn't backtrack, his opinion is as valuable as mine, as is everyone else's...

Q-6

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #942 of 1,326
Received my Dunu Zen today, they sound absolutely great.
A very intimate and engaging sound signature. Waiting to receive the Hiby R6 2020 to pair them together (does anyone have this pairing and could comment, by chance?).

I would also like to give a quick shout out to Andrew @ MusicTeck - my experience couldn’t have been better! 👏

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #943 of 1,326
I also received my Zens today. I'm not here to start a war, but my first impressions are almost identical to crinacle's. I feel like I'm back to early 00's listening to highly compressed mp3. Paired with M8 I'm letting it burn in for 50 hours. Coming from EX1000, Flare Pro 2 HD and Illumination.

IMG_20210205_231827-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #944 of 1,326
I really like the sonic signature of the ZENs! The sound is noticeable coherent and the bass is really something else.

Out of the DX160 they sound absolutely fine, but in combination with the RME ADI-2 DAC it absolutely blows me away. I do believe this is due to the crossfeed implementation of the RME, the DX160 has enough power with the 4.4mm connector. The crossfeed effect is somehow better with the Zens as with any of my other headphones/IEMs in my opinion.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #945 of 1,326
Thanks for your reply! Yeah that does say a lot actually, I'm gonna go for it.

I saw in your review that you've tried several sources. Do you find that any of your DAPs are hiss-free with the Zen? It doesn't bother me too much since I'm used to the Zeus anyway, but I'm just curious. I have a mojo and I've been wanting to upgrade.

I own the Drop version and it is rated at 10 ohms, so much more sensitive than the Zens. I don't find the Zens to be so sensitive that it will be a hiss magnet like my Solaris or AndromedaS. I havent had any issue with back ground noise using the Zens. My favorite pairing is using my Fiio M15 which has a very dynamic neutrally tuned sound. It actually sounds great with just about everything I tried them on. I would see how it pairs with what you got first and go from there. You might find synergy right away. With the Zens there is a very good chance of that since it plays well with just about everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back