ZEN by DUNU: our first model designed around next-generation driver platform ECLIPSƎ
Jan 24, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #556 of 1,326
I red some of your post and actually I agree with some of your thoughts.
With experience I know what I like and what I dislike, typically I hate (too) forward high mids like we see quite frequently now with IEMs following Harman target for example so most of the latest "hyped" IEMs won't pleased me. Latest disappointment : NF NM2+. Way too bright for me.
I have no problem with high extension though.
I'm still interested in these Zen but I'm concerned when I read some comments from some reviewers. Not sure they will please my ears.
Did you try something like oriolus mk 2, TG334, or andromeda 2020? Fibae black ? Ak t8ie mk2? sony m9? Or even Empire Phantom?
I have not heard any of those IEMs, but from the info I have gathered, I too think they might suit my preferences.
This hyped new tuning maybe has something to do with EDM type of music which I never listen to. No offence but some modern music I've heard I won't even call music , it's more like noise to me. Maybe it has something to do with that. Something else I don't get is why one would appreciate more clarity and details that come with a certain tuning at the cost of musicality and naturalness.

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #559 of 1,326
The ZEN actually should have been named « Black Hole ». It suits its color and shape, but also attracts everything around it, starting with attention, curiosity, interest & love from the community. Only rabbits don’t go in that hole, they have their own...

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #560 of 1,326
The ZEN actually should have been named « Black Hole ». It suits its color and shape, but also attracts everything around it, starting with attention, curiosity, interest & love from the community. Only rabbits don’t go in that hole, they have their own...
Name is already taken lol.

1611524198232.png

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #561 of 1,326
Jan 24, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #562 of 1,326
Ah ah!! They look good. Black Hole vs. ZEN, deathmatch someone?
Add in the Moondrop Illumination. Although the Black hole´s graph looks...weird.

graph (43).png

(green = black hole, red = Illumination)

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #564 of 1,326
I also agree that I don't like how forward the upper-midrange of the Harman IE Target is right now. I also don't like how large the bass shelf and how recessed the lower mid-range is as well, so I came up with my own Antdroid preference target (shown below in dashed lines), which is an average of my personal collection of IEMs that I like (Viento-B, MEST CIEM, and Etymotic, and a couple others) and with some small tweaks and smoothing of the curve to make it look pretty.

The Dunu Zen is in red. This gives you an indication of why I think some of the sound in uppermids are a tad forward and there's a treble spot that can be a little jarring to me at times, as I mentioned in my review. I otherwise really enjoy this one.

1611524581205.png

Added a different normalization at 300Hz

1611525489691.png

Attachments

• 1611525419508.png
    1611525419508.png
    101.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #565 of 1,326
Add in the Moondrop Illumination. Although the Black hole´s graph looks...weird.

(green = black hole, red = Illumination)
Black Hole is just a... hole?! Going by this graph, it is big NO NO for my taste. The illumination got some praise lately...

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #566 of 1,326
Black Hole is just a... hole?! Going by this graph, it is big NO NO for my taste. The illumination got some praise lately...
yeah, the graph for the black hole looks terrible. The Zen´s biggest competitor is probably the Illumination.

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #567 of 1,326
I also agree that I don't like how forward the upper-midrange of the Harman IE Target is right now. I also don't like how large the bass shelf and how recessed the lower mid-range is as well, so I came up with my own Antdroid preference target (shown below in dashed lines), which is an average of my personal collection of IEMs that I like (Viento-B, MEST CIEM, and Etymotic, and a couple others) and with some small tweaks and smoothing of the curve to make it look pretty.

The Dunu Zen is in red. This gives you an indication of why I think some of the sound in uppermids are a tad forward and there's a treble spot that can be a little jarring to me at times, as I mentioned in my review. I otherwise really enjoy this one.

And based on this graph I still have a hint of apprehension about brightness and vocals presentation... in 8 days, I will know or, better said, starting my own experience with the ZEN.

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #568 of 1,326
And based on this graph I still have a hint of apprehension about brightness and vocals presentation... in 8 days, I will know or, better said, starting my own experience with the ZEN.

I am pretty sure you're gonna like it :)

Still puzzled, I don't hear Zen as being bright...

Maybe it's the music I listen to but an 8 kHz peak... it was something in that region that annoyed me greatly with the EX1000 and I don't hear it (at all) with the Zen.
Then again I don't totally blind trust graphs...

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #569 of 1,326
I am pretty sure you're gonna like it :)

Still puzzled, I don't hear Zen as being bright...

Maybe it's the music I listen to but an 8 kHz peak... it was something in that region that annoyed me greatly with the EX1000 and I don't hear it (at all) with the Zen.
Then again I don't totally blind trust graphs...
I have a good feeling about the ZEN, based on several positive impressions coming from different channels, hence the blind purchase.

What I am really digging from the pictures is the long nozzle. It will suit my ear canal like a glove. My tips armada is ready.

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #570 of 1,326
I have a good feeling about the ZEN, based on several positive impressions coming from different channels, hence the blind purchase. What I am really digging from the pictures is the long nozzle. It will suit my ear canal like a glove. My tips armada is ready.

I look forward to your impressions :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back