ZEN by DUNU: our first model designed around next-generation driver platform ECLIPSƎ
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #1,097 of 1,326
The sacrosanct 50 hours mark has been hit. A few days ago actually. Now it’s maybe 60 hours or more, I don’t know. Well, as the ZEN shared some of my listening time with another IEM, I don’t really hear any real differences within the burn-in process. No brain burn-in in any case. However, what I can say is that I like the ZEN more and more with a specific setup of mine. After multiple tries, I have found the right combination of gears that bring Dunu’s baby to the top of my very own hierarchy, when it comes to listening enjoyment.
I know you highlighted some setups earlier, but do you mind sharing again what combo and a little bit more on why? :L3000:

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #1,098 of 1,326
I know you highlighted some setups earlier, but do you mind sharing again what combo and a little bit more on why? :L3000:
Yes, no problem. I am getting the best result from the Calyx M DAP linked to the Romi BX2+ amp. ZEN connected to the stack via a 4.4mm OC Studio Zeus UEX silver cable. Interconnect is a 3.5mm Forza Audio copper cable. Upgrade from Plussound on its way.

I believe in synergy. It’s à la mode to talk about synergy, but this is nothing new in the audio realm, hence myself trying to get the best out of the ZEN within my financial possibilities and the gears at hand.

With the aforementioned setup, I am more than content, because even if I cannot EQ the ZEN as I can with the Dethonray H1/xDuoo X-10T II, the combination of each component serves the ZEN as it should. It means that I get the nice little warmth I am digging so much, with lots of details popping up from everywhere while the sound reproduction remains coherent and very enjoyable. Oh, yes, there is the bass. This bass, damn...

I hope this answers your question. Cheers

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #1,099 of 1,326
Yes, no problem. I am getting the best result from the Calyx M DAP linked to the Romi BX2+ amp. ZEN connected to the stack via a 4.4mm OC Studio Zeus UEX silver cable. Interconnect is a 3.5mm Forza Audio copper cable. Upgrade from Plussound on its way.

I believe in synergy. It’s à la mode to talk about synergy, but this is nothing new in the audio realm, hence myself trying to get the best out of the ZEN within my financial possibilities and the gears at hand.

With the aforementioned setup, I am more than content, because even if I cannot EQ the ZEN as I can with the Dethonray H1/xDuoo X-10T II, the combination of each component serves the ZEN as it should. It means that I get the nice little warmth I am digging so much, with lots of details popping up from everywhere while the sound reproduction remains coherent and very enjoyable. Oh, yes, there is the bass. This bass, damn...

I hope this answers your question. Cheers

Thank you!

I've thought about what I'd do when I'm ready to upgrade my M11 DAP and have come to the realisation that for home use, I am just better buying an amp like the Romi - the amp section in my mind is so much more important than the DAC IMO and as I've mentioned before, the BX2+ seems amazing.....

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #1,100 of 1,326
Thank you!

I've thought about what I'd do when I'm ready to upgrade my M11 DAP and have come to the realisation that for home use, I am just better buying an amp like the Romi - the amp section in my mind is so much more important than the DAC IMO and as I've mentioned before, the BX2+ seems amazing.....
I kind of agree with that, at least based on my experience. No way back to any DAP without external amping for me since more than a year.

Feb 24, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #1,103 of 1,326
Does anybody have both Zen and Luna ? I already have Luna but their sound signature not really suit my taste any more.

I unfortunately don’t have the Luna on hand anymore and it’s been almost a year since I’ve had them. But their sound still definitely lingers in my head.

The Zen is the more balanced of the two. But it still manages to be as emotional as the Luna. The sub-bass isn’t as mid-bass biased as the Luna. So that gives a feeling of a deeper extension in the lower notes. As for mids, I say the lower mids are a little thinner in comparison to the Luna’s thiccer lower mids. In the upper mids though, they both give a ton of emotion. But the Luna still held more air in female vocals for example. I still remember how the voicing on the Luna was extremely ethereal to my ears. But I do agree that they could be shouty and shrill to some/most. The Upper treble is also quite different. The Luna had more of a relaxed presentation while giving enough sparkle. The Zen however has more energy up top while never reaching sibilant edges. It’s quite a fun listen really. Imaging wise, both are accurate. I unfortunately can’t remember how much for the Luna but in staging, I remember clearly that it was a bit more on the narrower side. The Zen has a massive soundstage in comparison. They just sound so open. (In which, I think they are semi open. Since whenever I use them on the go, I do lose the lovely bass they produce. )

Both focus on the midrange but the Zen is just the more balanced of the two while retaining some of the Luna’s emotional midrange. So if you’re looking for that sound. The Zen is the way to go.

(I would gladly take your Luna if you decide to let them go... as a gift of course 😉)

On a side note: As I’m finishing up my written review. Unfortunately, my video review is also gonna be delayed now due to the clips getting corrupted 😭 I have film everything again. But I’ll try to finish them soon so the other people in the Canadian tour could finally listen to them.

I’m so sorry guys!

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #1,104 of 1,326
I unfortunately don’t have the Luna on hand anymore and it’s been almost a year since I’ve had them. But their sound still definitely lingers in my head.

The Zen is the more balanced of the two. But it still manages to be as emotional as the Luna. The sub-bass isn’t as mid-bass biased as the Luna. So that gives a feeling of a deeper extension in the lower notes. As for mids, I say the lower mids are a little thinner in comparison to the Luna’s thiccer lower mids. In the upper mids though, they both give a ton of emotion. But the Luna still held more air in female vocals for example. I still remember how the voicing on the Luna was extremely ethereal to my ears. But I do agree that they could be shouty and shrill to some/most. The Upper treble is also quite different. The Luna had more of a relaxed presentation while giving enough sparkle. The Zen however has more energy up top while never reaching sibilant edges. It’s quite a fun listen really. Imaging wise, both are accurate. I unfortunately can’t remember how much for the Luna but in staging, I remember clearly that it was a bit more on the narrower side. The Zen has a massive soundstage in comparison. They just sound so open. (In which, I think they are semi open. Since whenever I use them on the go, I do lose the lovely bass they produce. )

Both focus on the midrange but the Zen is just the more balanced of the two while retaining some of the Luna’s emotional midrange. So if you’re looking for that sound. The Zen is the way to go.

(I would gladly take your Luna if you decide to let them go... as a gift of course 😉)

On a side note: As I’m finishing up my written review. Unfortunately, my video review is also gonna be delayed now due to the clips getting corrupted 😭 I have film everything again. But I’ll try to finish them soon so the other people in the Canadian tour could finally listen to them.

I’m so sorry guys!
Thanks you very much this is very informative. I thinj the Zen will suit me better now the time to let my Luna go but not as a gift for sure haha

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #1,105 of 1,326
Thanks you very much this is very informative. I thinj the Zen will suit me better now the time to let my Luna go but not as a gift for sure haha
Not a problem! If you have the chance to hear them first, you have to tho. What genre/s of music do you mostly listen to?

And oh man! I thought I'd finally get a Luna :joy:

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #1,106 of 1,326
Not a problem! If you have the chance to hear them first, you have to tho. What genre/s of music do you mostly listen to?

And oh man! I thought I'd finally get a Luna :joy:
I mainly listen to upbeat music, POP and EDM to me Luna bass is a little on the loose side and not very deep. I like U-Shape with a little emphesize in the higher mid. Luna did sound a little hot in the lower treble/higher mid region but changing eartips can fix that, I use them with Eartips from Dita XLS. Still the sound signature is still a little too relaxed to my taste.

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #1,107 of 1,326
I mainly listen to upbeat music, POP and EDM to me Luna bass is a little on the loose side and not very deep. I like U-Shape with a little emphesize in the higher mid. Luna did sound a little hot in the lower treble/higher mid region but changing eartips can fix that, I use them with Eartips from Dita XLS. Still the sound signature is still a little too relaxed to my taste.
The Zen would definitely fit those genres better.

Yeah I had to use the Sony Triple Comfort tips that came with my IER-Z1R on the Luna to attenuate that section a bit.

Luna was great for quite a bit of the genres I listen to tho. That’s why I really do miss them. 😭

Hope you get to try the Zen soon!

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #1,108 of 1,326
The sacrosanct 50 hours mark has been hit. A few days ago actually. Now it’s maybe 60 hours or more, I don’t know. Well, as the ZEN shared some of my listening time with another IEM, I don’t really hear any real differences within the burn-in process. No brain burn-in in any case. However, what I can say is that I like the ZEN more and more with a specific setup of mine. After multiple tries, I have found the right combination of gears that bring Dunu’s baby to the top of my very own hierarchy, when it comes to listening enjoyment.
I really enjoy the ZEN and while it's not my go to iem all the time(I cycle through IEMs daily) I still enjoy it when I stuff them into my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back