ZEN by DUNU: our first model designed around next-generation driver platform ECLIPSƎ
Jan 16, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #346 of 1,326
Not only are the ZEN continuing to reveal their beauty in terms of sound but also in their overall appearance and feel - they are such a stunning IEM to touch, sight and sound, I hadn't properly noticed the word ZEN printed on each side until this evening!

ZEN0JPG.JPG

DUNU did a nice job with the build, and they hit it out of the park with the sound.

Jan 16, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #347 of 1,326
Please please make it so the package finally arrive... need a miracle now!

Jan 16, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #348 of 1,326
1610851673113.png

A special package arrived today!​

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #349 of 1,326
Alright, folks still continuing my tip rolling. Avoid anything which increases the gap between the nozzle and your eardrum. I'm having a lot of success with Spinfit CP800. This is not the wide-bore spinfit, but the narrow one. I pick this as the normal spin-fit internal fittings are too thin.

If will fit, it just needs some elbow grease. It makes the bass tighter and further helps with external noise isolation.

Jan 17, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #350 of 1,326
First video review on YouTube?

Jan 17, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #351 of 1,326
Alright, folks still continuing my tip rolling. Avoid anything which increases the gap between the nozzle and your eardrum. I'm having a lot of success with Spinfit CP800. This is not the wide-bore spinfit, but the narrow one. I pick this as the normal spin-fit internal fittings are too thin.

If will fit, it just needs some elbow grease. It makes the bass tighter and further helps with external noise isolation.

I've actually gone up to L with stock tips where I'd usually be M - much better. Still to do more testing, must order some SpinFit.

Jan 17, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #353 of 1,326
@davidmolliere : May I know how does Zen do synergy with DX300?

I'd love to report but I haven't received it yet, package is now out there for 18 days and counting :-\
I hope it finally arrives monday...

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #355 of 1,326
I've had the Zen for a week or so now, but haven't had a lot of time on it. So far I haven't had any major complaints. If I was nitpicking, I'd say it's a tad too forward at times and lacks deep depth and imaging and can occasionally be bright in the treble around 8KHz. Other than that, I think this one has a nice coherent dynamic sound that is punchy, has good bass decay and good solid mid-range. Review to follow. Resolve & I discussed the Zen a bit on The Headphones Show livestream yesterday on Youtube.

Dunu Zen.png

Jan 17, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #358 of 1,326
It just shows with dynamic drivers, bigger is better.

Got confirmation the Zen has a large 13.5mm driver.

It's not only the size that matters, but the motion of the dome portion!

Let's actually explain what we mean. We've had 13.5 mm drivers in a bunch of our past/current products: DK-3001, DK-4001, DK-3001 PRO, DK-2001, 17th Anniversary model. LUNA was an exception at 10 mm because it was a truly bespoke driver designed from the ground up, whereas the aforementioned models were all somewhat similar. ZEN's driver size was chosen because it was originally supposed to use the 17th Anniversary model's driver. Once LUNA came into the picture, we knew we had to redesign the driver and develop our ECLIPSƎ platform so that more of our models could enjoy the superior macrodynamics and speed of our patented composite driver design. The shells of the ZEN had already been designed, and so we wanted to preserve the 13.5 mm diameter and retrofit the new platform into the existing shell shape.

The following is a pictorial description of the benefits of ECLIPSƎ driver construction techniques for driver control and dynamic sound excursion. By using a fully composite driver design, we can choose highly disparate materials for the dome and surround, in this case Mg-Al alloy (coated with ta-C) for the dome, and a very soft thermoplastic polymer for the surround. The softness of the surround allows for better driver excursion without needing to resort to dedicating a large proportion of the surface area to the surround. We can push the dome portion (most important for directional sound) out as wide as we can, also allowing for wider attachment points for the voice coil. The wider diameter the voice coil, the better control it can exert over the diaphragm, as it exerts a greater angular moment over each point of the dome. For a conventionally thermoformed, one-piece driver to possess similar properties, it'd have to be substantially larger in diameter. Of course, when it comes to gluing and damping, we also put in a few more tricks into the ECLIPSƎ platform that help with linearity of excursion, but these techniques are fully proprietary and we won't discuss them here.

Lastly, with this design, we can also play with the dimensions of the voice coil and air gap more freely. With the introduction of our external 1.8T ring-type magnet, we can more confidently control the driver. With such large pole pieces, we had to make the housings of the ZEN more thick, but thus far we haven't heard of any issues with comfort.

For a fuller (but still on a layman's level) explanation of why a very stiff dome and a soft surround are desired in speaker design, please refer to Oratory1990's explanation here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/bacd37/duck_duck_goose/ekaxsri/

ECLIPS3_Driver_Comparison.001.png

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Jan 17, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #359 of 1,326
Try the CP145. Good combo!

Would you say safe to assume if stock L gives a good seal, go for same with CP145? As mentioned, I'm usually M so I was surprised that L is much better in this case.

Jan 17, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #360 of 1,326
Would you say safe to assume if stock L gives a good seal, go for same with CP145? As mentioned, I'm usually M so I was surprised that L is much better in this case.
Try the medium first. The difference is quite big between that and the large size. I'm the same way though with the stock tips and the medium cp145 works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back