Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jan 23, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #1,396 of 1,480
Could you elaborate on the key differences between DAVE's CF (the classic Meier type), Rossini's Expanse and HM1's sound stage knob?

Although DAVE's CF is not perfect, one thing it does well is create a more solid central image more clearly placed in a deeper sound stage (at the expense of width and seemingly some transparency). And the components of an orchestra are more connected and life-like, rather than unconnected and diffuse.

I know HM1 has this ability to expand the width, but how does it fare on the above two points?
It's been quite a while since i've done the comparison. I will say at the very end of my Dave ownership, I found Roon's CF to be slightly more transparent, but I was missing that bass EQ Rob did on top of the CF.
I will also add the disclaimer that I have yet to upgrade to the public release version of Expanse, but I understand that it should be identical to mine. I found dCS's Expanse implementation much better than the classic CF, as it added reverb in different quantities, greatly enhancing the depth perception...however, it worked better on live stuff where you don't have funky stuff mixed in. I also kept it at 1 or 2 out of 3. On a case by case basis..it can be sligthly unnatural, or incredibly effective. It's been almost a year since i've tried it , so I might need to revisit it. I no longer use it because, as you can imagine, Crossfeed and the soundstage expansion on the HM1 do not play well together. Also because the Rossini constructs a better center image than Dave ever did, using a specific setting (mapper).
Besides the Expanse feature, the Rossini also has the mappers which impact the perception of center stage and width. I've further described in a previous post here , but the Expanse mentioned there was the headphone, not dCS's "Crossfeed".
While most of the above have different tradeoffs, there is none that I can find with the soundstage knob, at least on. Center image is just as focused, everything just gets wider. If i was nitpicking, I would say the effect is a lot more subtle, but again..with no downsides.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #1,398 of 1,480
AB1266 owners confirm that class A mode is the best? Or does it still depend on music content and DAC?

Jan 31, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #1,399 of 1,480
Now, that was fast! One week wait, who would have imagined it. The german dealer has already received it. :) Going to pay the rest and let's go!
Putting my Burson Voyager on Classifieds.

Edit: how much burn in time is needed, if any? The usual 100 hours?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #1,400 of 1,480
Now, that was fast! One week wait, who would have imagined it. The german dealer has already received it. :) Going to pay the rest and let's go!

0 hours :)

Jan 31, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #1,401 of 1,480

Congratulations! I am both excited for you and sad because I will likely have to wait a few months, as opposed to one week to get mine. Enjoy it and please share your thoughts!

Jan 31, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #1,402 of 1,480

It's solid state. IMO it should sound really good within a few hours and continue with subtle improvements over the next few weeks.
Congratulations and best of luck with your new HM1! 👍

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #1,403 of 1,480

It's not a profound burn-in curve, but I'd say between 100 and 200 hours. The changes are definitely less than with other amps.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #1,404 of 1,480
Does anyone use the mixing feature on this amp? Funny that's what I'm most excited about but I haven't heard anyone else mention it. Does it take a sonic hit at all when mixing two sources? From the description, it seems it might be one of the cleanest dual stereo analog mixers available.

Feb 7, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #1,406 of 1,480
Does anyone use the mixing feature on this amp? Funny that's what I'm most excited about but I haven't heard anyone else mention it. Does it take a sonic hit at all when mixing two sources? From the description, it seems it might be one of the cleanest dual stereo analog mixers available.
I use it quite a bit, there's no change in sound when both inputs are on vs just one.

I mostly use it either for one of the three following situations:

1) AB'ing two DACs easily.

2) Have main audio chain connected to input A, so I can play music at any sample rate, exclusive mode etc, and then a DAC connected to my PC into input B that I can mix in. That way I can have full quality music but still mix in voice chat/youtube/anything else easily.

3) Togglable tube preamp.
I've had a Woo WA23 on the desk for a bit which is an incredible tube amp and tube pre. If you connect your DAC to input A, then have the 'A-Thru' go to the tube amp, and the tube amp pre-out route back to input B, then you can basically turn on/off the tube preamp with one button as desired. Use input A and you just get the signal from the DAC. Use input B and it goes through the tube preamp first.

Really nice to be able to do all of that without fussing with cables or needing to change stuff

Feb 8, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #1,407 of 1,480
Anyone that ordered this amp in 2023 got it?

I don't know where you are located, shipping schedules seem to be different for different parts of the world.
I ordered mine on 22th January and it's getting UPSed to me today. I'm swiss and ordered from the official german dealer (which is official dealer for Switzerland as well).
At the end this was unexpectedly quick, but I've no idea if this was maybe a canceled preorder from someone else.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #1,408 of 1,480
I don't know where you are located, shipping schedules seem to be different for different parts of the world.
I ordered mine on 22th January and it's getting UPSed to me today. I'm swiss and ordered from the official german dealer (which is official dealer for Switzerland as well).
At the end this was unexpectedly quick, but I've no idea if this was maybe a canceled preorder from someone else.

It seems Europe is getting it a lot faster than us here in the United States. They’ve allocated 17 to headphones.com for this year and I’m guessing I’m number 5 or 6 in that list as they have 11 left of that allotment. The ”late summer” estimate seems strange if people are ordering theirs from Europe and getting them a week or two later. I was hoping it was more a first in first out sort of situation.

Feb 8, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #1,409 of 1,480
It seems Europe is getting it a lot faster than us here in the United States. They’ve allocated 17 to headphones.com for this year and I’m guessing I’m number 5 or 6 in that list as they have 11 left of that allotment. The ”late summer” estimate seems strange if people are ordering theirs from Europe and getting them a week or two later. I was hoping it was more a first in first out sort of situation.

Singapore is getting them this quarter as well, I know because they advertised an open slot on Facebook. Maybe it’s just about different countries getting them on a purposely planned different schedule?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back