YULONG's new U18 USB 24/192 Async digital Interface
Oct 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #79 of 169
This DAC is looking very promising. It has plenty of features at a really good price point. I just wish we could have more impressions so i can better judge where this stands sonically against other similarly priced dacs. I'd be really interested to see how this stacks up to the ODAC.

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #83 of 169
preproman: have you pulled the trigger on the U18?

beaver316: at the pricepoint of the U18 I doubt you could find something much better and with the same capabilities.  As with most all Yulong's products the U18 offers excellent value and sound quality.

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #85 of 169
Hello Mr. Casey,

I am likely going to buy the U18, but I'm debating on whether or not to buy the power supply. I have a box full of wall warts and likely 1 or 2 that are compatible. This is a tall order I know, but is there any chance that you would be willing to open up the power supply and post a few pics? I would just like to know if the power supply is worth spending the extra $75 on. If not I understand completely.

Thanks.

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #87 of 169
Keep in mind that, as far as I know, most if not all modern wall warts are switching power supplies, not linear power supplies.  Linear power supplies are generally quieter sources than switching power supplies.

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #88 of 169
Has anybody tried the U18 with an iPad/CCK?
:confused:

Nov 11, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #89 of 169
Quote:
Hello Mr. Casey,

I am likely going to buy the U18, but I'm debating on whether or not to buy the power supply. I have a box full of wall warts and likely 1 or 2 that are compatible. This is a tall order I know, but is there any chance that you would be willing to open up the power supply and post a few pics? I would just like to know if the power supply is worth spending the extra $75 on. If not I understand completely.

Thanks.

Pictures:

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #90 of 169
Thank you!

I've been thinking about it and I'm wondering since this is a purely digital device how the power supply can improve the sound. I could understand if there was an analog stage that better power might make a difference, but should it matter with a digital device like this who's only job is to output 1's and 0's? I assume regardless of power source the U18 outputs a bit perfect stream, so I just wonder how a better power supply can change that for the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back