YULONG's new U18 USB 24/192 Async digital Interface
Sep 30, 2012 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 169

sashaw

100+ Head-Fier
YULONG had announced their new USB Async digital interface, U18. Thanks YULONG for allow me to have one of the sample units. Here comes the photos. 

As usual, the cardboard box.

Since it is a sample unit, it only come with the interface itself and a USB cable.

3 LEDs on the front panel. DC in, OK(working status) and USB. There is also a RJ45 I2S socket.

There are 5 ports on the back panel. AES, COAX, optical, USB and DC in. The unit can be powered by USB or an external 12V DC power supply.

I dont have a 12V DC power supply, so it is powered through USB. At the moment, it outputs via the COAX to my YULONG D100.

Front panel.

Here is some more detail they published.
Yulong Audio proudly introduces the U18, an audiophile asynchronous USB interface that supports up to 24bit and 192KHz playback. Through extensive testing and validation by the Yulong tuning team, U18 achieves high fidelity sound so engaging and musical that it will keep you listening. By using very low jitter clock generators, U18 eliminates the digital sound typical from CAS, and serves as the finest bridge between your PC and DAC.

Base on the TE8802L, U18 has customized driver to support Windows (XP/Vista/7) and Mac OS X. It includes AES/EBU, Toslink and Coaxial outputs to insure compatibility with your DAC, while the I2S interface would allow more choices for the DIY lovers.

U18 automatically switches between USB power and external power. When powered through USB, its strong regeneration circuitry will provide low noise power source to ensure high voice quality. Still, the more demanding users can optionally use an external linear power supply to enable galvanic isolation with the PC power, to deliver an even higher audio quality."

U18 Technical Specifications:
Input : Asynchronous Transport High Speed USB 2.0
Output:SPDIF COAX, SPDIF TOS ,AES/EBU, I2S. (Full support for 24Bit 192KHZ)
SPDIF/ AES/EBU jitter :150ps
SPDIF/ AES/EBU THD+N: -140dB
Dimensions: 115*88*33mm.

To be continued......

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 169
I've been thinking about getting a usb spdif converter and this one is definitely one I'm interested in esp since it has the AES/EBU output and that I've been impressed with Yulong in the past. 

Oct 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 169
Oct 1, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 169
Yes, definitly overkill, but a good quality unit.  I would cut the input wire from a "brick" power supply (lots kicking around at my house)that fits into the U18 and connect the wires into the power supply.  Being careful not to mix up pos. and neg.

Oct 1, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 169
As I mentioned in the D18 forum, I ordered a U18 with the recommended PS from Grant fidelity.  I will be picking it up Oct 8 or 9.  I suspect it will work well or it would likely not have been recommended.  When I get it set up I will post specs and pictures (internal and external).

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #14 of 169
I hope Tenor resolves all the problems with TE8802 drivers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back