YULONG's new U18 USB 24/192 Async digital Interface
Dec 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #106 of 169

[size=10pt]Steps for Installing Yulong USB Audio Driver for U18:[/size]

[size=10pt]-ensure U18 is NOT plugged in to your computer.[/size]

[size=10pt]-Un-install any previously installed Yulong Audio drivers from your computer. [/size]

[size=10pt]-Reboot your computer.[/size]

[size=10pt]-Run any Registry Cleaner of your preference.  CCleaner is free and works good for me:[/size]

[size=10pt]http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard[/size]

[size=10pt]-Download Yulong’s U18 driver:[/size]

http://audio-sz.com/en/down.asp

[size=10pt]-Extract and then open the folder you have just downloaded “YulongAudioU18”.  This download is a .rar file.  Search for .rar extractor if you do not have one.  WinRAR works and has a free trial.  There are also free .rar extractors available.  [/size]

[size=10pt]-Close all other audio drivers and/or media players you might have running.  Install Yulong U18 driver by clicking on the highlighted (below) subfile found in the YulongAudioU18 folder:[/size]

[size=10pt][/size]

[size=10pt]-Plug U18 directly into a USB port that you will be content using exclusively for the U18 from this point on.[/size]

[size=10pt]-Set Yulong Audio as your default device (see post 29 for more detailed instructions):[/size]

[size=10pt][/size]

[size=10pt]-Open Yulong Audio Control Panel and set Audio CPL tab to 24/192.  No adjustments required in ASIO CPL tab:[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]-Plug in external PS if you are using one for U18.  For now don’t worry if this causes the U18 to no longer be recognised.[/size]

[size=10pt]-Reboot your computer[/size]

[size=10pt]-Yulong U18 should now be working.  Your milage may very depending on the attitude of your computer.[/size]

[size=10pt]-Remember this always:[/size]

[size=10pt][/size]

[size=medium]Good practices once you have the U18 working:[/size]

[size=medium]-do not unplug external PS while computer and U18 are working[/size]
[size=medium]-shut down computer before unplugging U18 USB cable[/size]
[size=medium]-plug in U18 USB cable with external PS connected (after initial set up) before starting computer[/size]

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #110 of 169
I hate waiting for new things.  Once I have ordered something I want it NOW.  Nest Friday would be 5 business days, right on the lower limit.  Hopefully you get it by then so you can enjoy it over the weekend.  Did you order the external PS?

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #112 of 169
No, I have not. 2 of my three Dacs do not have a direct USB input.

Tomorrow I will do some comparisons using my Yulong D100 which I happen to have out at work right now with me.

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #114 of 169
What I am getting now, that I never got before, is access to my 24/192 files. In addition my Yulong D18 had drop out issues with the optical in and with my Consonance USB converter. Those issues have now disappeared with the U18.

It sounds great to me. As I mentioned earlier in this post, I am not the best person for noticing and commenting on subtle differences between various good quality units.

Dec 8, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #115 of 169
I followed your advice Mr. Casey, but to no avail. The U18 was still not recognized at startup. I then tried updating the BIOS and all drivers hoping this might help but that did nothing. I tried re-installing again on a different port and still no luck. At startup when I look at devices and printers the U18 shows as an unrecognized device and Windows reports it has stopped the device because it is reporting errors.

Previously when I unplugged the USB cable and plugged it back in I would have sound, but the last few days even that wasn't working and I ended up having to use the laptop speakers for sound.

Maybe I have a bad unit? This is my first experience with chi-fi and I have to say it's frustrating enough that it may very well be my last. I may live with it if I can unplug and re-plug to get audio, but if that stops working again the U18 will be going back where it came from.

Dec 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #116 of 169
[size=medium][size=medium]It could very well be that you have a bad unit but it is much more likely that it is a computer related issue.  [/size]Have you tried installing the driver on a different computer, just to experiment.   [/size][size=medium]Try disabling your antivirus software as well.[/size]

[size=medium]What O.S. are you using?  How new is your computer?  This driver takes some jam to run.[/size]

Dec 8, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #118 of 169
Quote:
I hope this is not the same driver issues that Audio-gd had..

[size=10pt]That was a concern of mine at first too but I have had my running fine on 3 different laptops from 3 different manufacturers and on a custom desktop computer.  I am also aware of it running fine on two other systems.  I suspect if there was a flaw of some sort with the driver it would have shown it head by now.[/size]

[size=10pt]As per the GF website:[/size]

[size=13.5pt]The asynchronous driver will take up sizeable resources of your computer CPU, so please close down all programs that not in use and we highly recommend minimum specs of your computer should be dual core CPU to avoid slow response time[/size]

Dec 8, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #119 of 169
 ​
 ​
I did not recall seeing any driver issue with the U18. Please provide the link. Thanks.​
 ​
Btw, I did not have any problem using my U18 + D18. I am running from the USB of my Macbook Pro. May be it is the Windows specific issue? I am very happy with my purchase of the U18 + D18. I am so happy that I purchased also the D100 Mk2 to use mainly as my headphone DAC for my MacPro (via optical cable). Yulong does make good products.​

Dec 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #120 of 169
Quote:
 ​
 ​
I did not recall seeing any driver issue with the U18. Please provide the link. Thanks.​
 ​
Btw, I did not have any problem using my U18 + D18. I am running from the USB of my Macbook Pro. May be it is the Windows specific issue? I am very happy with my purchase of the U18 + D18. I am so happy that I purchased also the D100 Mk2 to use mainly as my headphone DAC for my MacPro (via optical cable). Yulong does make good products.​

Of course it will work on an Mac, but that is just boring.  Buy a PC so you can have some computer challanges in your life. 
happy_face1.gif

Btw I prefer PC but isn't it just the age old debate.  Good to hear you are enjoying your U18.

The issues preproman is referring to are with an AudioGD product using the same chip as the U18.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back