Yulong's new flagship amp A18
Mar 20, 2012 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

tankman

Head-Fier
Its fully balanced, comes with both balanced and single headphone output. I am looking for a medium size desktop amp for my balanced headphones seems the a18 can fit my needs. Any updates about the releasing date of this amp, and how much?

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 94
The creator haven't released an exact date yet. It is within this year though. It also will be more expensive than the D18...around 1.5x the price?

In RMB D18 is around 4000, and A18 is around 6000

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 94
6000?thats 1000$ shall be on par with wa2,v200 and such.....

Anyway the owner of yulong is kind enough to lent me a sample for trial. will report back how it sound after arrival.

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 94
Would love to hear the reviews
I think all Yulong products are tuned for Sennheiser AKG and Beyer
Its coming out before the end of this year...thats a wide time margin

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 94
It just became available for purchase:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yulong-SABRE-A18-discrete-components-current-Pure-Class-headphone-amplifier-/110852135854?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cf4d5bae

$899 shipped, not as much as I had expected. I'm hoping to pick one up and will of course post my thoughts. D18 plus A18 should be quite the combo.

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 94
I had been using a18 with my hd650s/q701s/dt990s for last few days. The amp sounds engaging, warm side. I very much like it with q701s/dt990s, punchy, well presentatioin and good bass, probably a bit too warm for hd650s but thats just my taste.

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 94
Tankman, have you had a chance to use more sensitive cans, such as Denons or IEMs with your unit? I'm curious to see if the noise floor is low enough that there is no hiss through these low impedance, high sensitivity phones

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #10 of 94

Quote:
Tankman, have you had a chance to use more sensitive cans, such as Denons or IEMs with your unit? I'm curious to see if the noise floor is low enough that there is no hiss through these low impedance, high sensitivity phones

Used to own some d7000s these are not pikcy phones, I heard no noises through any amps I have. a18 has blacker back ground in comparason with some of those amps. I currently have some pk1s/pk2s they sound great with a18. I sold my ue11s long time ago so don't know about iems with this amp. If there is any chance that the disigner xiao long passed by he may able to help. :)

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #11 of 94
Ok, silver A18 on the way to match my D18. I've also got some balanced cables coming so I can get the full effect with my HiFiMAN headphones. Currently have the HE400 and borrowing an HE500 so I can try those both balanced and single ended to see what the different favors are all about.

I'm actually pretty excited to have a (hopefully) reference level setup made up of Yulong gear. We will see how it stacks up against heavy hitters like Violectric.

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #12 of 94

Quote:
Ok, silver A18 on the way to match my D18. I've also got some balanced cables coming so I can get the full effect with my HiFiMAN headphones. Currently have the HE400 and borrowing an HE500 so I can try those both balanced and single ended to see what the different favors are all about.
I'm actually pretty excited to have a (hopefully) reference level setup made up of Yulong gear. We will see how it stacks up against heavy hitters like Violectric.

Seriously, are we talking racehorses or hotels in Abu Dhabi, P86 ? I've never seen someone accrue so much kit so quickly - pure jealousy on my part and I look forward to your review !  
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #13 of 94
Quote:

Seriously, are we talking racehorses or hotels in Abu Dhabi, P86 ? I've never seen someone accrue so much kit so quickly - pure jealousy on my part and I look forward to your review !  
wink.gif

Ha! I wish.... I'm nowhere near as big of a spender as some other folks around here. Plus I recycle a lot of my budget from selling other gear that I've had, some of it being older but pretty expensive, from pre- HeadFi times. Selling my Esoteric D70 DAC allowed me to try several new ones for example.

Don't forget - I just sold all my open headphones to make room for sealed models and closed models only. Selling an HD800, HD650, HD600, K701, DT990, a bunch of Grados, will create quite a budget for other new stuff.

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #15 of 94

Quote:
Hope this A18 doesn't make me regret picking up a V200 with my tax return! If only we all had the budgets to try out every new piece of kit :)

That's one of the inevitabilities of this hobby, unfortunately - I suggest that you enjoy your Violectric amp and accept that 'something better' is always just around the corner. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back